Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inventory software

I think it is time for me to get a little more organized. Cleaning out my model room today I came across many duplicate kits stashed away in the back of my storage cabinets. So I decided it is time to get all of this information onto my computer so I can track what I have better.

Has anyone come across a good free inventory program designed to manage model inventories?

I have been searching the net and found a few but I thought I would seek the advice from those who are using something today.

Thanks in advance.

Rob, I have been thinking about this is as well, but with less the 20 kits, I can use a napkin :lol: , but to answer your question, I think one program you could use would be a spread sheet I think. I do know there are a lot of members on here that use computer programs do keep an inventory

Wow, Rob, how many kits do you have that you need "tracking" software? :D

I knew that question would come up. Honestly I really don't know how many I have at this point. I boxed up 100 kits today and moved them to the basement for storage. Even that didn't make a dent in my collection.

I think I need to join plastic anonymous or something. :blink:

Rob, I have been thinking about this is as well, but with less the 20 kits, I can use a napkin :lol: , but to answer your question, I think one program you could use would be a spread sheet I think. I do know there are a lot of members on here that use computer programs do keep an inventory

I thought of a spreadsheet as well Jonathan but I think there are some good programs out there that would make it a little easier to search.

I use an Excel spread sheet for my collection of over 2 200 models. I list them under model manufacturer, kit number, description, date of purchase, cost price and for interest current value (from actual sales on auctions or model shop catalogues). The search facility makes it easy to find anything you look for.

I would use Excel. that way you can sort, search, and put in pricing if you wanted to.

This is what I have done for the last 15 years. I categorize them and use the filter function to sort them in several different ways to identify duplicates, kits that are opened vs. sealed, sell vs. keep, etc.

I keep an inventory of my kits in Excel. So far I only have for columns manufacturer, kit number (easier to track reissues), series (ex. Streetburner), title (## stock car), make, model, and year. I do like your system, my66s55, of keeping track of what condition its in, missing parts, etc. I think an overhaul of my inventory may be in order... :)