Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 962C Repsol/Brun Livery by Tamiya

Chillyb1

I'm calling this one finished. This is Tamiya's Porsche 962C kit that was re-released not all that long ago with new Cartograf decals for the privateer Brun/Repsol team car as raced at Le Mans in 1990. This one comes in many varieties but I found this one to be the most interesting and I thought I might challenge myself with all that decal work. Also, I got a really good deal on it and it included the Tamiya photoetch set. But it was kind of a headache all the way, some of which is Tamiya's fault and the rest of which was self-inflicted and stupidity-induced.

The clear glass parts are molded in place and they have horrendous injection marks, which require way too much sanding to get rid of and then even more to get the parts clear again. Moreover, masking the clear for the entire painting process is, of course, necessary but also a serious pain. I think I might have passed on this one if I had known about the clear parts. Anyway, the self-inflicted problems came about mostly because of my ineptitude with decals; perhaps I'd bitten off more than I could chew, but at least I learned valuable lessons for the future. I caused further unnecessary problems for myself by deciding to clear coat after laying down the decals. It was a calculated risk that worked well enough until I decided to really lay the stuff on.

Anyway, I am reasonably pleased with the outcome and, as I mentioned, I learned a lot about what not to do for the next one.

DSCN1553.jpg

DSCN1563.jpg

DSCN1560.jpg

Edited by Chillyb1

Looks good to me.

It's an old slot car kit. The "injector" marks are actually for when they installed the clear parts.

I think the real car caught fire @ the 24 of Le Mans, and Mazda came from behind in the closing hours to win overall.

I guess that was the next year. Jaguar won.

Edited by CAL

Thanks for posting that link to the video. I never would have found that on my own. Must have been a really heartbreaking loss that day.

Started front row led...

15m to go and 2nd at the 24hrs. It must have been crushing.