Model Cars Magazine Forum

How would I go about casting this

Are you copying the roof from the Revell Daytona?

Another option might be to start with the Daytona body and blend in the regular Charger fenders

For the grille there are already several available- for something different with the fit you're looking for maybe make up your own master- the Coronet grille doesn't seem overly complicated- some headlight rings and the appropriate mesh that fit into the "shell" of the '69 grille then backing the mesh would seem to work for the basis of a mold

I'll just add to this that if you test-fit the MPC Charger 500 grille on the Revellogram body, you'll find that it's not an exact fit. You may want to consider using the hood/fenders/grille from the MPC kit and the Revell Daytona body if you want to go that route.

Then again, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use the entire MPC Charger 500 body on the Revell Daytona chassis/interior if you wanted to have the Revell kit's detail under a 500...

This is pretty much the way im going, except instead of the whole body im just using the back halve of the roof. Ive already cut it at about the doors for ease of bodywork. Might have to just use the daytona with different fenders. If so, if anybody has a 500 grille, daytona body, and regular 69 body that they will be intrested in letting me borrow, please pm me.

I started one a few years ago just like what was stated above. I have the Revell 69 Charger fenders and nose grafted on the Daytona body. It was going very well and I need to finish it.I stopped when I realized that I needed to remove the trim over the a pillars that the Daytona uses.

Another option is to use the AMT kit and fix the body. Then use the AMT 69 GTX chassis under that kit.

Both ways creat a very nice Charger 500 but The Revell kits are now easier to find.

I started one a few years ago just like what was stated above. I have the Revell 69 Charger fenders and nose grafted on the Daytona body. It was going very well and I need to finish it.I stopped when I realized that I needed to remove the trim over the a pillars that the Daytona uses.

Another option is to use the AMT kit and fix the body. Then use the AMT 69 GTX chassis under that kit.

Both ways creat a very nice Charger 500 but The Revell kits are now easier to find.

Finish that one up, The 500 also had the same A-piller trim on them like the Daytona. I made sure to add them to the MPC 500 I need to finish up. Look up the real car on Google. Everyone I have seen has them.

"Finish that one up, The 500 also had the same A-piller trim on them like the Daytona. I made sure to add them to the MPC 500 I need to finish up. Look up the real car on Google. Everyone I have seen has them."

Well reading that is a relief. I did one a few years back,actually two attempts. One used the roof from the MPC 500 and the '69 from Revell. Lot of work and the roof transplant came out looking like a chopped top.Tried the Revell Daytona and the front portion of the front fenders from the Revell '69 kit and that turned out great. Still have some issues with the fronts marker lights though.

I'm wondering the same thing. :blink: It would seem to me using the 500 body on the Revell chassis/interiour would be the way to go. Or, couldn't you just use the front fenders/etc. from the '69 Revell kit on the Daytona body? You'd still need to scare up a '68 Coronet grille for it, but the MPC/AMT Charger 500 could easily cough that up. Or are there some slight differences in size between the bodies that would make using the MPC body on the Revell running gear impractical?

I looked at both scenarios,and in my opinion and limited skillset, it was easier to swap the front fender TIPS from the '69 Charger to the '69 Daytona. It's all Revell and except for what to do about the front side marker lights it does look good. I'll try and take pics of both attempts except that the grille and bumpers are setup in clay for a RTV mold. FYI, I used the 500 grille from the MPC kit and cut out the grille in the Revell kit.

Too much work. The MPC 500 (last reissued about 10 years ago by AMT) builds up nicely w/ some detail painting...built a couple of them. The AMT '68-69 Plymouth Road Runner/GTX chassis and engine could probably be adapted for more detail.

Edited by Rob Hall

Finish that one up, The 500 also had the same A-piller trim on them like the Daytona. I made sure to add them to the MPC 500 I need to finish up. Look up the real car on Google. Everyone I have seen has them.

Thanks. I didn't realize that and I'm glad I didn't start sanding them off. Now to put it on top of the to do pyle and finish it.

Here is my AMT version I built about 5 years ago. It's funny but I must have done my research as I foiled the A pillars. This was the last release that has a 70 hood on it.

69CHARG500AA.jpg

69CHARG500AB.jpg

Edited by Sport Suburban

there were a couple 68 500s built. there was a garage in saline mi that had one way back in the late 70s. he had every part that would unbolt chrome plated. during the mopar craze of the mid 90s, it was restored back to original. as far as i know he still owns it.

Well you can tell those people they are DEAD wrong. the '69 Charger 500's prototype was a 1968 Dodge Charger!

From Wikipedia:

Charger 500

Dodge Charger 500

In 1968, Dodge watched their NASCAR inspired Charger R/T fail to beat the Ford cars on the high-banks oval-tracks. The Dodge engineers went back to the wind tunnel and found the tunneled rear window caused lift and the gaping mouth induced drag. Dodge engineers made the rear window flush with the rest of the roof and put a 1968 Coronet Grille up front. The original Charger 500 prototype was a 1968 Charger R/T with a 426 Hemi. The prototype was painted in B5 Blue with a white stripe.

The Charger 500 prototype had a Torqueflite, a white interior and 426 Hemi. The Charger 500 was tested for production, got the greenlight and was one of three models introduced in September 1968. The Charger 500 was standard with the 440 Magnum but the factory literature claims the 426 Hemi was standard. The Charger 500 had the Torqueflite standard and the same equipment standard as the R/T.

The Charger 500 sold for $3842.00 MSRP. The Charger 500 was available with the 426 Hemi for an extra $648.20, The Charger 500 had the options A11 and V88 the stripe was available with red, black and white colors. The Charger 500 was available with air conditioning on the 440 Magnum for an extra $357.65.

A total of 500 Charger 500s were made but only 392 were bought for street use. The rest were bought by racers and gutted, stripped, modified and/or repainted. Only 67 Charger 500s were built with the 426 Hemi; 27 with 4-Speeds and 40 with Torqueflites.

The Charger 500 did not get the results expected of it on the NASCAR superspeedway circuits and lost to Ford Motor Company entrants, but it was successful on the shorter under 1 mi (1.6 km) tracks.

:wub: