Model Cars Magazine Forum

I would like to cast some small parts of my own

You would be better off with a Smooth On starter set. The Alumilite set at Hobby Lobby is a good value with the coupon, but the rubber is a 10:1 mix and the resin only has a 90 second window before it sets up. Too difficult for a beginner. RTV that is a 1:1 mix and a resin with a longer working time is a better choice. You will be able to make better molds and a longer working time gives you an opportunity to work out air bubbles. Start with one part open face molds and cast simple parts like valvecovers to hone your skills before moving on to more complex parts and two part molds. Follow the instructions.

You would be better off with a Smooth On starter set. The Alumilite set at Hobby Lobby is a good value with the coupon, but the rubber is a 10:1 mix and the resin only has a 90 second window before it sets up. Too difficult for a beginner. RTV that is a 1:1 mix and a resin with a longer working time is a better choice. You will be able to make better molds and a longer working time gives you an opportunity to work out air bubbles. Start with one part open face molds and cast simple parts like valvecovers to hone your skills before moving on to more complex parts and two part molds. Follow the instructions.

I agree 100%, but you can buy the needed items individually instead, using Alumilite's High Strength 3 mold rubber (softer and more flexible than the Quick Set which comes in the kit), Amazing Casting Resin (3-5 minutes work time), etc.

I've found Alumilite's resin is more forgiving when measuring amounts, but Smooth On products will still give you good results.

As Mark suggested, keep it simple with one part molds.

• 4 weeks later...

x3 this is the best way to go.

for smooth on i use moldstar series molding rubber so far its the most forgiving in their lineup for resin i switch between smooth cast 320 and some other stuff i cant remember but 320 is great for starters