Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Car Building on TV

:D The other day My wife was watching the Young and the Restless on tv and told to git in here and look at this. I couldn't belive that there was a kid and his dad building a model car on the show. My wife told me they have mentioned a few times on the show about this kids passion for model cars. Just maybe there is a chance of these kids to put away their video games and do something constructive. We should find a way to get the networks have more kids in their shows to build models on the air. Maybe we could end up with a new generation of builders.

Later Al

If more parents kicked there kids off these XBox's and Play Stations and gave there kids something constructive to do perhaps the correction needed in parenting might finally happen.

My Mother gave me a model aeroplane to build years ago and my Father shared my interests in trucks and together we build a model truck.

Nearly 30 years later I'm still building models thanks to some good advice along the way.

By the way the first model truck still sits on the shelves with my many other models.

Cheers

John Wilson

My poor Mom and Dad tried and tried to get me into models as a little kid..............but I flat out rejected them because they reminded me of a puzzle which I HATED!!

I got my first model on Christmas '68 and when I first opened the box, I remember being very disappointed because it didn't look all nice and pretty like the box art. :D I wanted to play with the Hot Wheels instead! :) (Which were a new item in 1968.)

It would be another 10 years when I was a senior in high school before I would touch a model and of course you know the rest of the story........................I haven't stopped since! :)

Although I still hate puzzles! :shock:

Forgive old memory cells, but as I remember it there used to be a 1/2 hr. TV Show that was dedicated to building models. I wanna say it was in tha early 90s on PBS. T'was from this show that I learned how to use Elmer's White glue as a filler in tha joints between tha wings and tha fuselage of model areoplanes. Learned a few other things as well, but that tip sticks out...I'd nevah thought of using water-base glue as filler.

when i were a young-un, mom and dad splurged on models at christmas because the stores were trying to clear the shelves before new years' inventory... most of them weren't even wrapped because they'd bought them late on christmas eve! my friends at school derided me for "playing with cars" at my age (15-18) so i tended to keep to myself with the hobby.

once, on the school bus, i was sitting next to a younger kid who was carrying a model to school, and ended up talking to him about it, and the next day GAVE him boxes of spare parts. i gave up on them for about three years while i was in the navy, but back stateside i picked it back up.

THAT was 20+ years ago. i've sold a bunch, traded a bunch, trashed a bunch, and still got a closet full of "projects" waiting for completion.

once, on the school bus, i was sitting next to a younger kid who was carrying a model to school, and ended up talking to him about it, and the next day GAVE him boxes of spare parts.

Ya know, that guy is probably still building models because you took the time to talk about it. Most 15 year olds I knew didn't associate with the younger kids on the way to school. Glad you kept it up after your service (thanx for that, too). I wonder if we could get some of the model companies to get some movie producers to put kits in the background. Companies like Coke do it all the time. It's called placement.

the movie with Jim Belushi as the guy who missed the home run and got a chance to live his life as if he had gotten his break: there's a recurring scene where he's building an AMT mercedes 300sl and part of the fun for him is being able to pick it up and look at it as it goes together; later on in the "success" version of his life, he has a real one in his garage, but he CAN'T pick it up and look at it!

other than that, i don't know of any movie that has much in it about models, other than maybe "the efficiency expert" with anthony hopkins as the title character going in to a new zealand (???) factory town to clean shopand lay off a bunch of workers only to get caught up in their only pastime which is slot car racing? perhaps the biggest difficulty is maintaining continuity during production; if they had to reshoot a scene and it was obvious that the character had already completed a step, or they skipped steps too obviously, it would complicate production just that much more and be too much burden. it is a shame that more recognition of the hobby isn't forthcoming in the media; we don't have bench-clearing brawls at our shows and our "celebrity" members don't share exposure on national TV with the FBI's ten most wanted!

the movie "40 days and 40 nights" with Josh Hartnett, one of the ways he passed the time (since this is a G rated forum I won't stat the premise of the movie) He build models, in it was a Tamiya VW Carmen Gia, Tamiya 1:12 Super Seven, AMT 57 Edsel prepaint, and a Revell Caprice Taxi.

also remember an episode of "Yes Dear" from a few years ago when they where trying to get there fathers involved in hobbies, so they had them build models, IIRC there was a new tool AMT 57 Chevy, and an AMT 56 Nomad

BTW, i'm a little ahead of the PS2 and XBOX generation, although I own an XBOX and a PSP, and spend hours on them, car modeling is something i've done since I was 5, when I was in a newly opened Wal-Mart, and my parents bought me a Monogram snap 1:32 Bronco, i've been hooked ever since