Model Cars Magazine Forum

Start of my 65 AWB Dodge

I just looked thru all my AFX cars pictures. And I didn't find one single picture of the Landy car with a vent wing frame but every one has a frame around the door glass.

I DID find a few of the Sox and MArtin Paper Tiger 1 car that had the vent wing frames.

PaperTiger1.jpg

I still think this is a cool picture . If I cound find the truck cab, I might considering attempting this in scale .

PaperTiger.1+2.jpg

You are right Landys car didnt have the window vent glass! Well BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH! Now what?

...lol

That is not a Speed city casting as the Speed City casting has the door frame .

http://www.speedcityresin.com/MoparPage.htm

My guess is it is a MCW casting as it looks alot like the 65 Sedan AWB I have. I could be wrong.

Did it come with a 4 head light grille or just a 2 headlight grille?

It came with the 2 headlight grill

If using the RG engine do NOT use the front accessories, alt, pwr steering pump etc, get a 426 finned timing cover and use a belt and pulleys with injection pump, with alt. optional .......

By removing the filler cap/dipstick tube off of the power steering pump, you could make that into the injection pump .......

Well keep in mind im not trying to go totally bonkers on the detail. I just dont have the time or patiance for that...lol........just trying to make it a fun build thats pretty close to accurate. Not sure whos car im gonna make it now that i dont have the correst car for Landys..............or it could just be a "what if". I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me! Any other tips would be helpful.....thanks...joe

I just looked thru all my AFX cars pictures. And I didn't find one single picture of the Landy car with a vent wing frame but every one has a frame around the door glass.

I DID find a few of the Sox and MArtin Paper Tiger 1 car that had the vent wing frames.

PaperTiger1.jpg

I still think this is a cool picture . If I cound find the truck cab, I might considering attempting this in scale .

PaperTiger.1+2.jpg

Ive been looking throught pics of the 65's and i cant seem to find any that had the window vent frame. hhhhhmmmmm

Stick cars ran shorter stacks as opposed to the autos that ran the much taller stacks so I would guess that shot of Landy's with no stacks was carbed as it was an automatic ...... If someone knows for sure, please chime in

Here is some added history so you can be aware of the possibilities.

Dave Strickler ran a 65 4-speed car with short stacks and a full hood scoop. In fact, the restored car that sits in the Chrysler museum is set up like this.

The Pandemonium 65 ran short stacks and a full scoop at one time.

The original Mr. Norm's 65, two-tone blue car, was purchased from Roger Lindamood and first run as a 4-speed, short stack with full scoop. A short time thereafter they switched over to the full blown version that most people remember.

The Golden Commandos ran a short stack car with full hood scoop.

And a few others ran this same combination at one time or another. That being said, it didn't take long for most teams to realize that they weren't getting enough air into the stacks with the full scoop so they either left the scoop and cut an opening for air flow, removed the scoop outright or switched to an automatic setup and went with the tall stacks and either left the scoop in place with an opening for the stacks or removed the scoop alltogether. There are plenty of different looks that you can go with. For the sake of accuracy it all depends on whether or not you have the correct research material to support the build that you choose to do. Or, because it's model building, you build how you want regardless of whether or not it's an accurate depiction of what really existed.

[is] there anything [paint-wise] that comes close to chrome? I know ive seen that chrome paint before but not sure how it would work.anyone? Any ideas?..........Joe

I've had great luck with Duplicolor aerosol Chrome . It's readily available at any auto parts store ; it's reasonablly-priced , and goes on smoothly (well , it smoothes-out quite nicely).

I've sprayed it over gloss black as well as dull aluminum , with equal results .

Allclad is good ; I'm not going to knock it , but it seems to be "fragile" (e.g. , don't *handle* the painted part(s) excessively during or after assembly) .

Well worked on it some more today and getting really frustrated. Nothing seems to be fitting right and everything is fighting me. Biggest thing is im using the dash board from the 64 color me gone car and it just doesnt fit right. Getting fed up.........lol

on no you dont!! i am too cheap to spent the money on these resin kits. so when someone starts building one, i like to follow. again, dont be like me and throw this on a shelf !!! we are modelers, we fight thru the "don't fits" and the "injector vs no injectors" .....

KEEP PUSHIN MAN !!!!

its looking great. injection is too cool, but i think it would be neat to build one as it started out.

Edited by tubbs

• 4 weeks later...