Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ice Road Truckers

I just thought I'd remind everyone who either likes the show or might want to check it out, the new season of "Ice Road Truckers" is on at 9:00 PM eastern time this Sunday June 6th on the History Channel. This will be the start of the 4th season, and I have watched all three previous seasons. In fact, I'm watching some of the old episodes as I type this, History is running a marathon off the previous seasons all day today, Friday, until 8:00 PM eastern. They also will have previous season episode marathons Saturday from 11:00 AM eastern all day and from 8:00 AM eastern Sunday until the new season premier at 9:00 PM. I really have a deep respect for the men and women who drive the Canadian and Alaskan ice roads, I know with 12 years experience and probably well over 1 million safe miles in the seat, I would never have the guts to drive the roads these drivers do. I think the new season will again be set on the Alaskan Dalton Highway like last years. The first two seasons where set on the Canadian ice road on the Mackenzie River from Yellowknife to Inuvik and the nearby diamond mines in Northwest Territories, Canada. If you haven't seen the show yet, check it out, and if you have, don't forget to watch! Also, as I mentioned in the topic description, if you have an ice road worthy truck, post them here!

Last years show was much better than the previous years. They took out most of the "human drama" and replaced it with more of the "this is how the job gets done" drama. What I liked about Lisa, is the fact that she didn't feel that she was there to be eye candy. She took/takes her job seriously, and she's there to do a job, and that job is to drive a truck. I did feel one bit of "drama" with her, and that's when she went out on the ice for the first time. It reminded me of the first time that I drove stock car. You suddenly realize the seriousness of your situation. For her it was nothing but water under a thin layer of ice, and for me it was being surrounded by drivers that actually knew what they were doing, and could "eat me alive". There is a natural tendency to play for the camera, but I think that Lisa came off as the most "real" driver on the show.

I hope they handle the show in much the same way as they did last year. We have Carlisle trucking her on the island, and I've met some of the drivers that have driven that road. They say that the biggest danger doesn't come so much from the newer drivers, but from the veterans. The new ones are on their guard, and just intimidated enough to watch what they're doing. Those that are at the most risk are the vets who know the road like the back of their hands and have made so many runs that some things drop into a routine. They get tired and let their guard done just for an instant, and that's when they get snagged.

Edited by Kodiak Island Modeler

Hello Matthew

Here in Canada we are seeing the third season of ice road truckers.

It is refreshing to see Lisa at the wheel of a big rig.

Putting on chains that are half her weight on the tires and doing it better than Alex LOL !!

Nice to see that there is a fourth season.

I really like the large Kenworth trucks with gin poles in the second season.

Made me want to build such a truck.

Best regards Daniel Gailloux

I don't think driving on ice would be so bad... just that instead of driving over an iced-over road, you are driving over actual ice atop a lake. THAT might give me pause...

Yeah, especially with the sound of the ice cracking as you drive over it!

I was wondering if Alex's truck from the second season (the blue and black flat fender Pete) could be built from Revells 353

I don't know, but don't forget Rick drove (and broke many times :P ) an identical truck, too. If you do Rick's, though, don't forget the dump trailer loaded with trash! :rolleyes:

I'm considering building Lisa's W-900B but my main problem is lack of Carlisle decals.

Anyone know of a source?

^^^^^HEY PHONEGUY, YOU LISTENING!!! :P ^^^^^

I don't know, but don't forget Rick drove (and broke many times :P ) an identical truck, too. If you do Rick's, though, don't forget the dump trailer loaded with trash! :rolleyes:

Or on the side of the Ice Road with the hood open. B)

I'm listening--but I need something to look at to see if I can make them. :):blink:

I did a Bing search, and this was the best pic I could find of an entire unit:

truckers2.jpg

And here is one if the door markings (with the Polar Bear :) ):

ice-road-truckers-season-three-hugh.jpg

I also found their website, unfortunately no pics that I could find, but maybe if you would contact them and explain what you'd like to do so us truck modelers could build their trucks, they might be able to give you some good pics, at least I hope!

http://www.carlile.biz/

I just figured out how stupid I am!! :unsure: When I was searching earlier for pics, I was typing "Carlisle", then I noticed in the previous pics, there is no "S" in Carlile! I ended up finding a few more pics that way! I hope these might help you, phoneguy.

Carlile20connected20dry20van20FINAL.jpg

32241_CARLILE20REFER202.jpg

8073.jpg

EDIT: I also noticed watching the shows today, the non reefer vans also have the Carlile script on the nose of the trailer.

Edited by highway

I'm working on it. Should have something in a few days. With limited pics and info, I'm working the best I can with what I have. :unsure::lol::blink: :blink:

That's cool! I hope the pics I just posted might help you out better.