Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lincoln Futura

Ron35369

I decided to try my hand at building the old Revell Lincoln Futura kit. I've never been fond of multi-piece body kits & this one just reaffirmed my dislike. For so few pieces it was a pain to build. I was painting my Grandpa's replica 63 Impala at the same time I was working on this one so I used the same Laurel Green paint for the Futura. I thought it matched the box photo much better than the nasty light green that the kit came moulded in. I got it together with the help of a lot of clamps & clothes pins & masking tape. I don't consider it one of my better builds, but it looks ok in it's showcase & in my collection. Hope you enjoy.

LincolnFutura.jpg

LincolnFutura1.jpg

LincolnFutura2.jpg

LincolnFutura3.jpg

LincolnFutura4.jpg

LincolnFutura5.jpg

LincolnFutura6.jpg

One of these days I will tackle my Round 2 Batmobile.

SWEEEEEEET !

SOOOOOO much better looking than the batmobile.

Same here, I've got one to do someday and every time I get it out to begin,,,the mufti-piece body scares me off and back in the box it goes

same goes for the club-de-mer

Edited by gtx6970

I can share your frustration with this old timer. I built this kit as the 1959 movie car early last year and went through a tube of Tamiya putty and a pile of sandpaper. My motto quickly became......fill, dry, sand, clear the dust,repeat....repeat....repeat.... . At the end of it all I rather enjoyed the challenge of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse. Well perhaps not silk but at least presentable :-). When I was builting it I kept thinking, this is a big model until I finished the Polar Lights Batmbile last month and realized just how much difference there is between 1/27 and 1/25 scale.

Actually, now I'm keeping my eyes open for another of these old kits so that I can add the original colour scheme to this little collection.

attachicon.gifPicture 3.png

Nice work on a tricky model. What I don't understand is why Revell didn't put the detail into the exhausts (?) in the rear bumper.

Easily done with a small diameter aluminum tube and a few small pieces of plastic for the dividing bars. The result is hardly noticible in those big chrome bumpers which might explain why Revell didn't do it in the beginning. Keep in mind though that this mold is over 50 years old and few kits from these early days had the high levels of detail we insist on today.

Very nice model. Those that give the most trouble during the build are the most satisfying when completed. I want to know what the designers were on back in the 50's! This, the Buick Riviera, not to mention bat-wing Impalas and the 59 Caddy. Those were some good chemicals.

Very nice built and with a nice color !

I`m "happy" to see the body assembly was a challenge not only for me. But what might be expected from a 50 years old kit - after 50 years we shall be bent a bit too.

I built my one in the exhibitions color and got an additional portion of problems with opening the doors.

Here it is:

post-10295-0-69007600-1358021531_thumb.j

:D IMHO, the Futura is simply a beautiful automobile and while many consider the design to be at least somewhat radical, in my eyes, the car is a thing of beauty. I have at least one of these unbuilt in my collection and I can appreciate the time and effort that you put into this. As was said, this car is "never cool" and the history of it and it's evolution is as interesting as it gets. Nice job - the colour choice is really nice and all around - VERY well done!!! AAAA++++

Very nice built and with a nice color !

I`m "happy" to see the body assembly was a challenge not only for me. But what might be expected from a 50 years old kit - after 50 years we shall be bent a bit too.

I built my one in the exhibitions color and got an additional portion of problems with opening the doors.

Here it is:

Nice job opening the doors and hinging the canopy!