Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Foose '68 Firebird

jeffs396

Why is Chip Foose so popular? Well for one he does far more than just put big wheels on old cars. His full on custom designs are top notch in design. fit and finish. They are Distinctive enough to be able to tell they are one of his at first glance.

Before:

Master2022-vi.jpg

After:

Master2030c-vi.jpg

Yeah all he did was a motor swap and a set of big wheels.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but to my eye the "before" looks way better than the "after." The weird angle on the roof/window openings on the "after" are very awkward and clash with the overall lines of the car.

Why is Chip Foose so popular? Well for one he does far more than just put big wheels on old cars. His full on custom designs are top notch in design. fit and finish. They are Distinctive enough to be able to tell they are one of his at first glance.

Before:

Master2022-vi.jpg

After:

Master2030c-vi.jpg

Yeah all he did was a motor swap and a set of big wheels.

I hope this is sarcasm, because if it's not then you have missed quite a few changes to this car over the stock original design.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but to my eye the "before" looks way better than the "after." The weird angle on the roof/window openings on the "after" are very awkward and clash with the overall lines of the car.

I agree that some of the lines are a bit awkward but I think it would be best to consider that all the cars you see as built by Chip Foose are not actually owned by Chip and final product we may not find appealing has actually been approved by the actual owners of the vehicle.

I agree that some of the lines are a bit awkward but I think it would be best to consider that all the cars you see as built by Chip Foose are not actually owned by Chip and final product we may not find appealing has actually been approved by the actual owners of the vehicle.

Who approved the design is irrelevant. I'm commenting on the final product, regardless of who had what part in it. And to my eye the before looks much better than the after. Just my opinion as a professional designer (and yes, my college degree is in product design/industrial design). ;)

Who approved the design is irrelevant. I'm commenting on the final product, regardless of who had what part in it. And to my eye the before looks much better than the after. Just my opinion as a professional designer (and yes, my college degree is in product design/industrial design). ;)

Have to agree with HP. While the finish is beautiful and I like the colors, the overall look is askew - just not naturally appealing to the eye. You can say it's subjective, but there are some elements of design that are not - and I think this car has some of those elements wrong.

Have to agree with HP. While the finish is beautiful and I like the colors, the overall look is askew - just not naturally appealing to the eye. You can say it's subjective, but there are some elements of design that are not - and I think this car has some of those elements wrong.

I'm not disagreeing with Harry, I'm pointing out that the people that actually own this car may love everything about it including all the aspects we may object to.

If you consider the customs that Barris and many other well known customizers are known for from the early 50's and 60's you will find quite a few unpleasant/awkward design elements along with a few that seem timeless in their beauty and execution.

It's really a case of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I'm not disagreeing with Harry, I'm pointing out that the people that actually own this car may love everything about it including all the aspects we may object to.

If you consider the customs that Barris and many other well known customizers are known for from the early 50's and 60's you will find quite a few unpleasant/awkward design elements along with a few that seem timeless in their beauty and execution.

and the "checkbook holder". He who pays the fiddler (designer, builder, whatever) calls the tune.

Definitely true. Some of the old customs were outlandish just to be outlandish and really didn't consider basic design - but they are iconic cars none-the-less. They did, however, periodically put together elements that carried over into other designs and are visually pleasing as well as entertaining.

Funny how this thread is heading in such a direction, but I enjoy aspects of good design concepts.

It's funny, but I read this and I can't help but think this is exactly what people must have said back in the heyday of the "kustomizers". "They ruined that car, it looked better stock". "All ____ does is slap new wheels on it." "_____ can't hold a candle to _____".

I wonder what they would have said on the Little Pages' website had the internet been around back then...

Every custom is one man's vision. There are very few that have mass appeal. But they only have to appeal to one person - the builder or whoever is footing the bill.