Model Cars Magazine Forum

Racing Community Build

thesnake87

Much like other community builds, this one is more of a show off as well. No timeline for it, just as long as you stay in the requirements you're good to go!

Requirements

- Graphics cannot be out of the box (You can mix and match out of the box decals, but it has to be from your own vision, doesn't need to be much, but a number and 1 sponsor have to be visible)

- You can use any type of racing

- It can be any scale, any era, any make and model that is not excluded. You could make a custom 69 Camaro racer, or a Pagani Zonda. Use your imagination.

Here is the list of entries. Just post what you are going to build and I will update this!

Note* - When you are finished and post a finished picture of your car (as in taking one like this where we can see most of the car detail) I will put it in a spoiler under your name so viewers can see them better. Once we get a few finished models I will post the display thread in the "Under Glass" forum.

You may also have as many entries as you wish, but 1 is fine too B)

Entries

The Snake 87 - '06 Shelby GT-H American LeMans protoype

PeterC - Mercedes SLS GT3

W409 - '67 Dodge Charger D/Street Drag Racer

Nick Winter - '78 Dodge D150 Baja truck

Edited by thesnake87

Requirements

- You can use any type of racing except drag racing, NASCAR, or F1/Indy Car body styles.

May I make a suggestion? I've been around a while and seen hundreds of CBP's start and never get much interest. The reason for this? The scope is made too narrow. The thread originator wants people to build something similar to what he has in mind and sets a tight set of rules. There might be just a few people who have an interest in that particular genre. And with life and it's endless diversions keeping us away from the bench, nothing comes of the CBP with just those few people.

As I'm not a circle track or open course racing fan, I've no idea what you should do to open the field up more, I'm just throwing the idea out there. Good luck with the CBP. I look forward to seeing what you've got in store.

May I make a suggestion? I've been around a while and seen hundreds of CBP's start and never get much interest. The reason for this? The scope is made too narrow. The thread originator wants people to build something similar to what he has in mind and sets a tight set of rules. There might be just a few people who have an interest in that particular genre. And with life and it's endless diversions keeping us away from the bench, nothing comes of the CBP with just those few people.

As I'm not a circle track or open course racing fan, I've no idea what you should do to open the field up more, I'm just throwing the idea out there. Good luck with the CBP. I look forward to seeing what you've got in store.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Rob. In my opinion, a narrow subject and restrictive rules is just a doom for failure, or at least not many participants. Even though I do enjoy all forms of motorsport, the DP/GT racing like ALMS is one I just don't follow heavily enough to even think of building models of, and the only thing I even have on the shelf out of 450+ kits is a Corvette C5R, and I can't even build it for this because it is a specific car (Dale Earnhardt Sr's 2001 car in the 24 Hrs of Daytona) and there is no way it will be altered for any reason.

This is just my opinion, but consider letting all forms of motorsports enjoy the build, after all you did call it a "Racing Community Build"! :(

Requirements

- You can use any type of racing

Now sounds lots of better. I think, that I might jump in. Is there any deadline? If there is not, then count me in with '67 Dodge Charger D/Street Drag Racer. Interesting community build, hope this gets many entries. :(

Here it goes! The start of my '67 Charger. This is Revell's kit, and it's great quality. There are some option parts too, like 9" slicks, but I'm not going to use them, I'm using bit bigger ones. I found also a good blower for this car from my parts boxes. Engine is going to be 426" Hemi, the one which came with the kit. The quality looks very good on that too. I painted the engine block already orange. I painted also the oil pan and the timing chain cover and waterpump.

P4262381.jpg

P4262382.jpg

P4262379.jpg

P4262380.jpg

P4262377.jpg

Nice kit! I've been painting most of my aluminum parts, so my parts don't have too much detail yet... lol

This is what I have so far for the frame

DSC01055.jpg

I need to add more bars to it, most like I'll make one that surrounds the driver like in most cars instead of just a A type one. I need to file down the joints too once I get done, but I want to keep them so they have that welded pipe look. As it stands it doesn't look exactly like a Grand Am/Daytona style car, but I hope to get closer soon :D

I have more done of course, but this is all I took pics of as of now. I won't be home until Monday though to do any more work :D

EDIT: I was looked around more for 1:1 comparison cars... I found this RC car

Ninco-1-Ford-Mustang-Daytona-Ninco-55007.JPG

That pretty much sums up what I want to do besides the decals, mine will be much more complete in terms of that. But the spoiler is exactly what I need... lol

My little checklist per say of things to complete soon.

- Lower ride height

- Scratch build a small ground effects kit

- Find paint color for exterior (I was gonna do a half aluminum half black combo, but I think I'm gonna use red or blue instead, the aluminum I got looks like chrome)

- Finish roll cage

Edited by thesnake87

I hope I'm not doing my roll cage "wrong" by building it in place... I see you guys are building them separate. I hope I'm not screwing myself lol

I'm actually doing the same as you, just pulled it out for the picture.

Nick

oh here's how my graphics will look.

5-29-201153111PM.jpg

A little update to Charger. I added cylinder heads, valve covers and blower manifold to the engine. The manifold was quite hard to find, but that one fits fine. Blower is painted silver, because I didn't like the chrome on it. Valve covers were also chromed, but the black paint on them looks better in this engine. Next step is spark lug wires, they are coming from Scale Dreams' wire, as usual. Let's see, when this build continues.

P4282460.jpg

P4282458.jpg

P4282459.jpg

Thanks, Jake! Little details make the model look very good. This build will also get seat belts, but Street D race car doesn't need a mesh to the driver's side window. Now the ignition wires are installed to the distributor... I got one distributor already done for the engine and then I just heard "zinggggggg"... (A voice of a small distributor flying off from the tweezers... :lol: I didn't find that part, so I built another one ready and installed that one. Now the ignition wires are also on their place in the distributor.

P4292469.jpg

That's awesome! Do you use just super glue to hold those in the distributor I assume then?

And I found another pic for me to go off of :lol:

00_24H_Daytona_Preview_MustangCobra.jpg

Pretty decent view, got the roll cage, mesh drivers side window, nice spoiler view, and shows the exhaust which I'll see about mimicking. The exhaust is gonna be kinda hard to do if I want to do it because the kit body doesn't overhang the chassis so there really isn't any room for that I don't think.

Yes, it's just super glue. Strong enough to keep those on their place, and it doesn't dry too long time. Great and easy to work with. Your Mustang picture looks very good, maybe I should start building something like that, but I don't have a basis for the project yet... But looks very interesting.

Well here is the SLS so far, its gonna take me a while to do as im not a great builder so bare with me on this one lol

the Base kit is the revell AMG SLS kit , which is a great kit, but i wanted more , i wanted an SLS GT3 car , so this is it so far :D

the std look to the body;

DSCF7378.jpg

the start of a lot of filler and plasticard and sanding ;

DSCF7377.jpg

the bonnet with the new vent;

DSCF7376.jpg

a view of side skirt and front vent;

DSCF7392.jpg

and the second side under way;

DSCF7390.jpg

That is it so far , but im enjoying it

And look forward to your builds in this guys ;)

Well for some reason my camera won't turn on minutes after I took pics, and since I'm at my dad's he doesn't have an SD card reader... anyway I painted some of my suspension (shocks are red) and the engine (red headers, rest aluminum) but since most of it was detail work it took a little while. I'll have to post up pics tomorrow.