Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wow! Maybe I should try my hand at this!?

I was watching an auction on eBay of a '70 Chrysler 300 convertible built by robbbbbb57 (Paul Hettick). I just checked my watching page and my eyes nearly popped out of my sockets when I saw what his build went for!

I have to say that it looked to be worth every penny as he started with what can be a tough casting from R&R.

It got me to thinking hmmmmmm...........? :wink:

Anyway, click here to see it.

Bill,

As someone who has done professional model building I feel I am well qualified to give you this advice, FUGGEDABOUTIT! Keep the day job. The hourly doesn't always break down that good and then dealing with the customers. Paul got lucky on that Chrysler but most of his go for much less than that. The ones I have seen go for $150.-400.00. McDonald's pays better than pro-building unless you can do the Wingrove thing. :cry:

I'll give you $100.00 for your 58 Chevy Convert!!!!!!!! :D:lol::D:lol:

Andy is right for the most part but if you look back and see prior auctions, his selling prices are climbing... Eventually your skills and knowledge will reduce the time spent making it more cost effective.

Plus, he keeps doing it so it must be worth it to him!

Bill, take a chance and post one... see what happens!

Yes you're right Jairus............I've been following his auctions for awhile and this is the most I've seen his models fetch. He's done car/trailer combos in the past that got over the $1000 mark.

I've talked to Paul in the past and I believe he's a retired guy, so he definitely has the time to spend to build them. I think he's able to put one or two on eBay at least once a week as I follow most of his auctions.

What I don't know is if he has help in building or if he's a one man show. Nevertheless, his work is outstanding!

Bill,

I'll give you $100.00 for your 58 Chevy Convert!!!!!!!! :D:lol::D:lol:

No matter how poor I may become, that baby is priceless! :D

I was watching an auction on eBay of a '70 Chrysler 300 convertible built by robbbbbb57 (Paul Hettick). I just checked my watching page and my eyes nearly popped out of my sockets when I saw what his build went for!

I have to say that it looked to be worth every penny as he started with what can be a tough casting from R&R.

It got me to thinking hmmmmmm...........? :wink:

Anyway, click here to see it.

wow that is good for the seller..

I have done some fr a studio when I lived In Cal.

I call them contract cars as I knew what I was getting for them way before

they were finished..

this one was the Last One i did for them.. It was for a diorama about the Titanic..some sort of amusement Park and the Dio was to be sent to Australia. I have more Pics ..But My Main Puter is in the shop.. so I can Only show you whats On My Fotki account.

Oh By the way I was paid 1500.00 dollars for this and they Bought the Model Kits 5 In all went into this Model..

Mysterycar-vi.jpg

the 1911 Renault Taxi..

Bill,

I'm sure that you could do this easily, although I not sure it would be very profitable based on the current level of detail I've seen on most your builds. I don't know anyone here who would argue that your not at the level of "Pro Builder" and then some.

Paul clearly has a following, has made a name for himself on ebay and has his own building style which his buyers clearly like. Typically it's a curbside resin kit of something mainstream like the 55 Buick Roadmaster on the 'bay right now or it's a modified kit like the 1978 Dodge Monaco Brogham he recently sold.

I have to give Paul a lot of credit for being able to do this successfully. I think the price range he gets for his models show great respect for his builds. I for one would like to see other builders achieve the same level of success.

-Steve

I built marketing study prototype models for the Franklin Mint a few years ago and was payed obscenely well! The problem was, after about 5 of them, it certainly wasn't enjoyable. I was building models that I normally wouldn't build for myself and the hobby became a pain-in-the-butt job. But the cool thing was that after about 2 years, The Mint gave me the models back. I'm told they are worth approx. $2500 each to a collector of such things, but who really knows. Whatever you sell, it's only worth what the buyer is willing to pay. Here's one of the Franklin Mint cars. They never went into production.

DSCN1552-vi.jpg

Neil Bonnett's 1979 Daytona 500 car.