Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barris Cars

FASTBACK340

Sams Mercury is one of the few chopped Mercs I like. Awesome color and a tasteful chop.

Most shop owners get credit for what the others do.

I must have missed the shows when Foose did anything but stand in front the camera. Wait, he does do the art work (yes art is a skill must of us do not have) still not the same as doing the metal work and painting.

Gee whillikers...I sure wish they still made babes like that. I'd forget how old I am and make a real fool of myself.

As far as George Barris goes, he WAS the real deal and had his hands on a lot of the early cars that defined the "kustom" look on the left coast. He also wrote how-to columns for the early car rags, and he's often photographed actually doing the work...welding, leading, grinding etc.

Like a lot of folks who make it, he became much more involved over time in the promotional aspects of the business than the actual work. And like many artists, the quality and attractiveness of his credited designs have highs and lows ...and I agree, there are a few instances where the actual deserved 'credit' for a particular car is somewhat cloudy.

I must have missed the shows when Foose did anything but stand in front the camera. Wait, he does do the art work (yes art is a skill must of us do not have) still not the same as doing the metal work and painting.

I've been building stuff other people got the credit for most of my life, and I've been around the biz long enough to know if a shop owner knows the dirty end of the work. Chip Foose most certainly DOES. It's pretty obvious when his guys have a problem fitting something, or whatever...Foose gets in there and makes it look easy, and you can't do that unless you know your stuff and paid your dues actually doing the WORK.

Little known fact about Mr. Barris I just learned... he learned the craft early on working with Harry Westergard in Sacremento in the late 30's before he made the trek to L.A. to eventually start out with his brother Sam.

http://www.customcarchronicle.com/cc-builders/barris-kustom-shop/george-barris-personal-36-ford/

Edited by Blown03SVT