Model Cars Magazine Forum

DENCON - No longer taking website orders

Anyone had any success with Dencon this year??? I have an order I placed back on January 23rd and have not received it yet. I sent through and got an email back from Matt Conte back in late March saying he had lost the order, but nothing on when or if it would be shipped (after I sent him a picture copy of the invoice). I sent another email at the beginning of May, have heard nothing back from him, and it's rapidly closing in on June at this point.

This is my second attempt at dealing with resin makers. The first was with Time Machine Resin which took a while, but with direct communication I was able to understand his situation and got a nice piece to boot (AGAIN TMR, thanks!!!!). Although I can't and won't hold anything against him now, I'm reaching the "fed-up point" to where I don't even want to waste my time and/or money with any of them.

Let me preface ALL THIS by saying I have patience and understanding for the time, work, and detail these guys put into these pieces. It is a DEFINITE SERVICE to the modelling community that these guys offer these rare or non-existant items for our kits. AND, I know I'm not the ONLY ONE to wait a long period of time for a resin part, some people have had to wait a year or more, and for bigger orders than mine.

But why have a freaking website and show off a bunch of nice pretty pictures of parts you CAN NEVER TOUCH, or EVER BUILD?!?!?!?!?!

EDIT: COUNTDOWN TO WHEN A MOD OR ADMIN DELETES THIS THREAD IN ...5 ...4 ...3 .......

Edited by Drake69

Well... apparently I have my answer. This is direct from their website and really should be stickied.....

As of April 30, 2011

THIS PART OF THE WEBSITE IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED.

NO ORDERS WILL BE TAKEN AT THIS TIME.

PLEASE READ

Thank you for your support, understanding and business. I enjoy, very much, conducting this service for the model car hobbyist. I love what I do and

consider my customers my friends.

Matt Conte

DENCON SCALE RESIN SPECIALTIES

Due to a back up of orders I am in the middle of. I feel that it is best to temporarily close the site down from any order taking ans suspend advertising in

Scale Auto. I am going to keep this site close until I get every back order out.

DENCON IS NOT CLOSING DOWN.

Because of this, I will not be taking any orders at this time. I will be selling on E-bay periodically during this time because I have to keep some sort of

income coming in to keep production going and get these orders filled. It is the only way. I am sorry that many of you that are waiting feel that e-bay sales

are unfair, but it has to be done or I will never get all of these orders out.

I am getting flooded with e-mails and I just cannot give the answers that you want to hear. I have one basic answer to all of you waiting, and there are quite

a few.

"I am working as hard as I can on all of the back up orders at this time. I have no way of giving or promising ANYONE at this time on when

they will be receive their order. Just know that I am working everyday in the shop to get every order filled."

This is the only answer I can give at this time. I cannot allow myself to be forced to give a date that I may not be able to keep.

EVERYONE WILL BE GETTING THEIR PRODUCT!

(Please take the time to review www.denconresin.com/order for more information)

I ordered about 30 bucks in parts from him at least 2-3 months ago and still no word. I even asked him nicely when he thought I'd get them but still no response. The parts aren't even for me, I was going to trade them for a kit to a gentleman in Canada.

The really amusing part of this is how familiar this story sounds around Lookout Model, duh sorry, I mean Dencon resin.

I noticed last night while doing a search for some resin parts, he is now selling on Ebay under a another name, man...

Good luck guys...

I tend to stay away from resin. To many fly by night operations.

Why are you casting stuff to sell if you don't have the time to devote to it? I think these guys are from the get go just trying to bilk other modelers. If I want resin I will use on of the few major resin guys or someone I have seen active on forums.

As for Dencon reading about him he seems to be the definition of fly by night. From what I have read on another forum he is selling resin kits on ebay that he already owes to prepaid customers. He claims on his website he is a part time caster doing it when he has time yet on other forums he says he is a full time caster and it is his only job. Oh and btw for you guys that are thinking about ordering from him still. On March 6th 2011 he was on the Resin addict forums saying he doesn't want to cast car stuff anymore.

From Resin addict forums.

First, this is great to find a support forum for resin casting.

Just to let you know a little about me. I have been doing production resin casting model car parts and selling them for close to 16 years. Took a few brakes from it from time to time, but. I have been doing it as a full time job for the most part. I am not a hobbyist with resin casting. I first learned how to resin cast working for a prototype model workshop. I really want to get out of the model car stuff and get more into just using my trade for other things. I have a few things going on that are outside the model car hobby.

With me wanting to expand into bigger resin casting arenas. I have really needed to talk to an met others that are in the industry. It looks like I will be able to really learn a lot more about this industry from this forum. So I am very glad to have found this.

If you have paid him using paypal I would file a complaint and get your money back.

Edited by ra7c7er

I'm reaching the "fed-up point" to where I don't even want to waste my time and/or money with any of them.

Let me preface ALL THIS by saying I have patience and understanding for the time, work, and detail these guys put into these pieces. It is a DEFINITE SERVICE to the modelling community that these guys offer these rare or non-existant items for our kits. AND, I know I'm not the ONLY ONE to wait a long period of time for a resin part, some people have had to wait a year or more, and for bigger orders than mine.

But why have a freaking website and show off a bunch of nice pretty pictures of parts you CAN NEVER TOUCH, or EVER BUILD?!?!?!?!?!

EDIT: COUNTDOWN TO WHEN A MOD OR ADMIN DELETES THIS THREAD IN ...5 ...4 ...3 .......

I can't and won't speak for anybody else, but please do not lump all resin casters together. Each is a distinct, separate business, and just becaue you've had bad experiences with two of them, it doesn't mean the other sixty-two aren't worthy of people's business. If you weren't happy with someone's service or product, do not buy from them again, and let other know about your honest experience.

Are there aftermarket companies who get in over their heads and/or have poor business pratices? Absolutley. Are there some who offer excellent quality products in a timely manner? Yes to that, too.

I can't and won't speak for anybody else, but please do not lump all resin casters together. Each is a distinct, separate business, and just becaue you've had bad experiences with two of them, it doesn't mean the other sixty-two aren't worthy of people's business. If you weren't happy with someone's service or product, do not buy from them again, and let other know about your honest experience.

Are there aftermarket companies who get in over their heads and/or have poor business pratices? Absolutley. Are there some who offer excellent quality products in a timely manner? Yes to that, too.

I can agree to this, but when it happens to be the FIRST TWO (AND ONLY TWO) RESIN COMPANIES I've ever dealt with, it is a natural knee-jerk reaction. But like I said, I did retract some of my statement as it pertains to Time Machine Resin, especially when he went out of his way to call me direct and explain his situation. That shows real effort and dedication on his part.

The real issue here is forum members still recommend DENCON for parts, so people who DON'T KNOW what's happening get put in these situations. As for the money? It's $15.00 TOTAL. I think I can afford to let that ride to the fall/winter before I act on getting it back. Why? Because it keeps him on the hook for making good on his promises. If he continually fails to deliver, or if I see my part listed on fleaBay (the part is a grille for a 1970 Hemi Barracuda, the original "two-headlight" one and not the one with the added vents in the "teeth", in case anyone knows how I can get this piece WITHOUT wrestling it from DENCON...), then it will go a long way to discredit his particular operation and serve as a warning to others.

The other concern I have is when a forum (NOT THIS PARTICULAR FORUM, NOT YET ANYWAY... THE INITIALS FOR THAT ONE ARE S. A. E. !!!) deletes threads that speak out about particular resin companies and their lack of product. It's as if the forum or magazine (and they ARE affiliated...) is trying to sweep the problem under the rug so that people are kept in the dark about that particular resin company. Obviously, it adds to the aggravation and makes the forum moderators and admins look as dirty and underhanded as the resin dealer.

So, add up everything I just typed in, couple that with viewing websites of product you can never get your hands on, PLUS seeing other "more important" people (like the builders IN the magazines that magically get their product from these dealers so that they can perform works of art for their respective magazines...) getting what they want and when they want for their modelling deadlines, PLUS seeing the names of the resin companies flaunted about all over these magazines especially in the vendor area, and you've have ONLY A TENTH of what some of us go through.

So rather than just defending all the other resin companies that I haven't tried, why not show an INKLING of sympathy for those of us that go through this? Maybe, MAYBE, if I happen to grace your resin company (an ASSUMPTION here, since the way you worded your statement shows undeniable support for someone...) and get to meet you, I won't feel like you're just as deceitful.

Agreed?

"What he said"

The only thing resin casters have in common is the medium they use to make parts. There are great businesspeople casting resin parts that consistently provide great service and stand behind what they make. Then there are others that, well, don't. The best advice I can offer is to do a little research before you spend your money. For the most part you can find out what previous customers think about individual resin casters on forums like this pretty easily.

This I can definitely agree on.

The real issue here is forum members still recommend DENCON for parts, so people who DON'T KNOW what's happening get put in these situations. As for the money? It's $15.00 TOTAL. I think I can afford to let that ride to the fall/winter before I act on getting it back. Why? Because it keeps him on the hook for making good on his promises. If he continually fails to deliver, or if I see my part listed on fleaBay (the part is a grille for a 1970 Hemi Barracuda, the original "two-headlight" one and not the one with the added vents in the "teeth", in case anyone knows how I can get this piece WITHOUT wrestling it from DENCON...), then it will go a long way to discredit his particular operation and serve as a warning to others.

The other concern I have is when a forum (NOT THIS PARTICULAR FORUM, NOT YET ANYWAY... THE INITIALS FOR THAT ONE ARE S. A. E. !!!) deletes threads that speak out about particular resin companies and their lack of product. It's as if the forum or magazine (and they ARE affiliated...) is trying to sweep the problem under the rug so that people are kept in the dark about that particular resin company. Obviously, it adds to the aggravation and makes the forum moderators and admins look as dirty and underhanded as the resin dealer.

So, add up everything I just typed in, couple that with viewing websites of product you can never get your hands on, PLUS seeing other "more important" people (like the builders IN the magazines that magically get their product from these dealers so that they can perform works of art for their respective magazines...) getting what they want and when they want for their modelling deadlines, PLUS seeing the names of the resin companies flaunted about all over these magazines especially in the vendor area, and you've have ONLY A TENTH of what some of us go through.

So rather than just defending all the other resin companies that I haven't tried, why not show an INKLING of sympathy for those of us that go through this? Maybe, MAYBE, if I happen to grace your resin company (an ASSUMPTION here, since the way you worded your statement shows undeniable support for someone...) and get to meet you, I won't feel like you're just as deceitful.

Agreed?

This I can definitely agree on.

I agree that honest and civilized discussion, both good and bad, of all aftermarket companies is a healthy thing for our hobby. Knowing who provides prompt service and good quality products is a benefit to model builders everywhere, as is knowing which companies have poor service, bad communication, and/or poor quality products.

I'm not defending anyone, and as I said, I'll only speak for myself, but to dismiss all resin casters as a whole because two companies did not provide good service is not helping anyone. Should you be honest and say a certain aftermarket company has given you poor service and has yet to deliver the product you already paid for? Absolutely you should. I hope that by doing so it will prevent others (me included) from dealing with said company and going through what you have.

Everybody wants what they paid for in a reasonable amount of time, and if the seller can't deliver in that time period, ask for or demand your money back. Unless it's explicitly stated that a product is made to order and will take X amount of days to be delivered, it's reasonable to expect something advertised is in stock and ready for delivery upon payment. I have a three business day shipping policy, but each person/business must decide for themselves what their business policies are. What works for one person/business might not work for another, and who am I to say that what I choose is the best way for anyone else?

I guess my suggestion would be to e-mail or call whomever you plan to purchase from and ask them what their turn around time is, and what happens if they fail to meet that deadline. Use a purchase method (PayPal, or a major credit card for example) that gives you protection and allows you to get your money back if the product is not delivered in the promised time period. If they cannot specify a time period, it's up to you to decide whether you want to proceed and wait for what you paid for to be delivered. :rolleyes:

i went on a resin buying spree around the end of february-first of march this year, simply because in all of my years of modeling i had never bought any resin products before. i probably bought 2-300 bucks worth of stuff, and out of all of that the only 2 problems i had were with the $30 worth of parts from Dencon, and a hood from "Jimmys House of Resin" on ebay. the only problem i had with the hood i purchased was it is so thin and flimsy it actually split while i was lightly sanding off some casting flash, as well as the fact that underneath you can see where the scoop was held to the hood with masking tape while it was cast....yes the masking tape is cast into the underside of the hood!!!

all i ordered from Dencon was a set of the Weld Draglite front and rear wheels and 2 of the 79 Dodge Truck conversions, i ordered AND paid on March 2nd thru paypal and have yet to see anything.i sent an email asking for a "guesstimate" on when i might get them, the reply said "i dont know". I tried to file a complaint with paypal and it was denied( maybe i didnt do it right?)and now it has been almost 3 months instead of the 5-6 weeks his website claimed.

Pretty freakin brutal, I am waiting on some stuff I ordered in February from Dencon too. I'll wait it out a little while, Paypal has my back if I have any problems. I will give him to the end of the year, I have plenty of other projects to work on for now. Thanks for shedding some light on the subject though! :lol:

But like I said, I did retract some of my statement as it pertains to Time Machine Resin, especially when he went out of his way to call me direct and explain his situation. That shows real effort and dedication on his part.

I had a delay with an order from Jeff a while back, and he took care of it in a similar manner. I got a little insight into his situation at the time, and now my only regret is I don't buy more stuff from him! (Wait your turn, I'll be placing an order shortly... :lol: ) I've had great experiences with Jeff Ballard of Motor City Resin Casters, Kenny Shores of Bandit Resins, Al Raab of Ma's Resins, and Jimmy Flintstone, as well as Steve Kohler of STAR Models, who sells R&R, Hendrix, and Flintstone products. Again... my only regrets dealing with these guys is I don't order enough from them. :lol:

Edited by Chuck Most

I've had a lot of correspondence, all good, from many of you regarding this situation in particular, and greater issues as a whole. I have also had correspondence with other resin dealers that actually do understand where I and others are coming from. It has really opened up my eyes on the resin business and made me see that it isn't the first 2, 3, or 4 times that defines the industry, but the overall long-term experience that does it. In addition, I now see that an editor has experienced the same levels of frustration I have as a lowly modeller, and in an odd way it makes me feel better about my own.

As I've stated in my very first post, I have the upmost respect for those guys that take their time and resources to create a product that otherwise would not be available on the open market, or at the very least be more cost prohibitive than it should be. In the best of views, all resin companies should be able to enjoy the wealth of their labors without worrying about tight times, all decal companies should do the same, and all modellers should have access to the fruits of that labor to produce works of art, but it doesn't always work that way. But stepping back and looking at this from all angles does help a lot.

Now, to the business at hand. As far a DENCON goes, since I'm only down a small amount of money, I am content to let it ride, almost until the cows come home, just to see how far this goes for Matt Conte. For other modellers that have paid their hard-earned sums of cash, it is completely up to you how long you feel the need to wait before you pull your funds. I DO RECOMMEND that you do eventually reclaim your money for non-delivery of product, or how else will Matt get the message that we as a community are not pleased with his service? I would also ask, and this is completely up to you, to spread by word of mouth the current situation with DENCON. I know it's visually apparent on his website that he is struggling, but to continue to hawk wares on eBay when so many people have paid him good money is pretty callous. And if someone mentions DENCON as a reference for a specific part, make sure to point out Matt's status so that others don't fall in the same pit. Third, don't do what I do. DO YOUR RESEARCH. If there is any NEGATIVE TALK about a particular resin dealer, research the situation, get in touch with that individual if possible, then talk to the resin dealer. Get both sides of the story before making any purchases, especially if it is an extensive amount of money. If $5.00 to $20.00 is an acceptable loss for you, go ahead and test it out if you like, but be sure to spread the word if things go south, or the community will never know who to trust.

I think that's all I can offer at this point. Really, someone needs to write an in-depth article in MCM on proper dealings with resin makers so that people understand the issues on both sides and not just from a no-money-no-product standpoint. The potential customer needs to respect the resin dealer's delays as much as the dealer needs to keep to his timetables. Communication is always key in business transactions, which will go a long way it assuaging a customer's concerns. If a dealer is too busy to convey reasons for long delays, or if he does not answer at all, red flags need to go up immediately. And if the quality of the work is sub-par, the dealer either makes it right or make other compromises with the customer, again by keeping the lines of communication open. And only after the customer has exhausted all avenues with getting the dealer to respond, only then does he "go public". This will avoid embarrassing situations on both sides of the fence and give each a voice to be heard.

I think that about covers it. I'll be watching this thread for awhile for responses from everybody so please voice your cares, concerns, gripes, etc. And definitely correct me on anything wrong, I can take it. :D

I'm sorry to see Dencon is going down this path again. I've made several purchases over the years from Lookout Design / Dencon. He is actually a very good resin caster turning out good quality parts, but maybe not the most on top of running a business.

I agree with the comments about not lumping all resin casters into the same bucket, I've bought lots of resin and have only had one bad experience I can remember (a $150 bad experience so it is easy to recall :D ).

The thing to remember is the majority of model car resin casters are just one man operations run by a guy who likes building model cars, I doubt a measurable fraction go into casting with the intent of ripping people off.

Resin2-vi.jpg

There ARE things worse than not getting what you bought. Like this.

Hey Mark

Man I can't belive someone sold you that thing, people that cast and sell parts like that give us resin slingers a bad name. Not all of us casters sell junk like that or take forever to ship out orders. We always try to get orders out within a week but for the most part we only do semi truck parts, maybe we need to get back into the car parts again.

Edited by Porky

My favorite part? The "double wall construction" (see the inner front wheelwell. Good for pickups. Bad for resin bodies.

What's harder to see is the extreme twist/warp/bodyside flare-out that the body actually possesses. This thing is, um...really bad. This coming from someone that regularly builds Palmer kits.

Nope, you CAN see it, especially if you look how it's sitting on the table with the left rear jacked up.

I wouldn't even know where to begin with this one.

The ultimate fate of this body was that I broke it up with a hammer (not to be crazy, just so it couldn't be re-sold) and sent it back to the caster with a request that he retire from the business immediately.

;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

My favorite part? The "double wall construction" (see the inner front wheelwell. Good for pickups. Bad for resin bodies.

Yeah- looks like there's a second, smaller body inside it... :blink:

i ordered some stuff from Dencon on March 2nd, still waiting on it, dont know when or if ill ever get it, im just gonna chalk it up to a lesson learned

Keith, I paid for my order on 29 Dec. and haven't gotten it yet. I think Matt is just overwhelmed and I do believe he will fill all the orders eventually. He has sent me some good parts in the past. Hope my faith that he'll follow through is well founded.

Edited by Bridgebuster