Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any clubs in the Phoenix/Mesa,Az area?

I Belong to the moonlight Modelers club here in Phoenix. I live in Gilbert, and we gather on the 3rd saturday of every month at a hosting members house .We have members from all over the valley, and state. The Moonlight club is celebrating a 30 year anniversary this year and is a Great club with some very good people both past and present who have a genuine passion for the hobby.http://www.moonlightmodelers.com/ this is a link to the club if you are interested we always have room for another builder.

Hi All! I'm looking for a club preferably in the Mesa,Az area as that's where I live but Phoenix will do as well... I appreciate any info you could forward to me! Thanks and hope to see you on the tables! :(

There are, as Gabe and Dan have pointed out. There's 2 car clubs and an IPMS club, as well. Craig Hewitt IPMS is hosting the Nationals in 2010. The other clubs have a yearly contest in April and there are numerous swap meets through out the year.

I live in northeatern Arizona and have been known to pop in at a meeting once in a blue moon or two! Great bunch of folks in all the clubs, I think you'll enjoy yourself with them.

TimP

Can you guys tell me where you think the BEST store in the valley is to get models/ supplies? I'm over here in Mesa and not real impressed! Thanks! As soon as December is over I'll see about getting hooked up with the clubs, work is a little too crazy right at the moment...

Can you guys tell me where you think the BEST store in the valley is to get models/ supplies? I'm over here in Mesa and not real impressed! Thanks! As soon as December is over I'll see about getting hooked up with the clubs, work is a little too crazy right at the moment...

Steve,

Without doubt, the best choice for kits, supplies, magazines, paints, etc., in the valley is the Hobbytown USA on the SW corner of Baseline Road and Gilbert Road. Go in on a Saturday and introduce yourself to Bob Peeples. He'll see to it you get dialled in to anything you need! They've got the best selection and cater to car guys!

Hi Dan,

Actually, I just picked up a '41 Willys and '68 Charger from there this past Saturday as a matter of fact. That store is right down the street from me... For some reason, it seems to me, like they had more of a selection when they were in the old location at the other end of the strip mall...? Maybe I was just there when they didn't have much inventory on the shelf... Dunno!

I used to like going to the Hobby Bench over at, like, Bell and 53rd ave???? But, now that I'm over here in Mesa, I don't get over that way too often.

I think the Hobby Bench inside of Paradise Valley mall also had a nice selection but I haven't been ther for some time either...

I was just hoping that since coming here to this forum, that you guys might have a "secret" mecca that you go to get "stuff" from....

I appreciate the tip though and will continue to check that store out Dan! Hope to meet you guys soon! B) Steve

Bob is a great resource for models and supplies Although the store does'nt stock much anymore, I guess with the economy it is more practical for Hobbytown to order what you might want. However Like I said Bob is always willing to help you get what you need, if you need something special just ask. He may have it at home in his vast collection of model parts and stuff. But dont just put your wants, and needs. on Bobs shoulder's Todd is the new owner and is is quite interested in what you might want for supplies and kits, so it would be good to get to know him as well. even though he is more familiar with RC "YUCK".

Steve,

Gabe's got it right, too.

The Bench at PV Mall is gone. The Bench at 43rd Ave & Bell is still there, but car models are not their emphasis and the stock generally lags as a result.

You might check out Hobby Depot in Tempe (Southern Ave just west of Mill Ave). They have a fairly full car/truck line of kits and supplies, good stock of paint, etc., but they're still a little more military-oriented and IPMS-geared.

The really, really good shops are gone. The best action seems to be a blend of grazing between the afore-mentioned Gilbert/Baseline Hobbytown USA, the Hobby Depot, and the 40% discount coupons from Michael's and Hobby Lobby craft stores.

Having said that, the real "mecca" in the Valley is in the periodic swap meets at the Postal Workers Social Hall at 3720 W. Greenway in Glendale; three times per year + in conjunction with the Desert Scale Classic show/contest. Tons of contemporary kits at good prices and lots of old, vintage stuff as well as aftermarket goodies and cheap built-ups, etc.

Also, check out MoonlightModelers.com and its link to the Phoenix/Arizona Model Car Builders Bulletin Board for announcements and calendars.

And, come check out the Moonlight Modelers and Cactus Car Modelers clubs. Don't forget the contests: GoodGuys twice a year - March & November, and Desert Scale Classic in April. In 2010, the local IPMS is hosting the IPMS Nationals in August.

Lots of stuff going on ...

• 2 years later...

I went to Hobbytown Gilbert a couple of weeks ago with a list of detail parts for them to order, Detail Master and Pegasus mostly. They didn't have distributors for any of that stuff, so I had to order it through the Detail Master website. I would have preferred giving the cash to the LHS, but not an option. I did buy some paint and the latest Model Cars magazine there, however.

-MJS

• 4 months later...

Hobby Depot, Mill and Southern, Tempe. They allways get the new releases. Also have a great paint selection and many shades of aclad including chrome. Also a pretty cool display case with some nice built ups. Just picked up Corvette Grand Sport and the Tony Nancy double kit. They Have a Facebook page but it needs more photos they also offer a punch card when filled is good for 10.00 bucks. Alot of Military and plane kits also a good selection of figures and sci fi kits. It is located just west of Mill on Southern behind Fry's right next to Red Devil italian, Great pizza. Check it out

John

Hobby Depot, Mill and Southern, Tempe. They allways get the new releases. Also have a great paint selection and many shades of aclad including chrome. Also a pretty cool display case with some nice built ups. Just picked up Corvette Grand Sport and the Tony Nancy double kit. They Have a Facebook page but it needs more photos they also offer a punch card when filled is good for 10.00 bucks. Alot of Military and plane kits also a good selection of figures and sci fi kits. It is located just west of Mill on Southern behind Fry's right next to Red Devil italian, Great pizza. Check it out

John

Hobby Depot is my favorite...was in there yesterday, they had the Revell '84 Caddy custom and '56 Ford truck reissues in stock.

Now that I found out that Hobby Depot is under new ownership, I will have to stop by one of these days, what are the price on the kits ?

Revell new releases tend to be around $22-24. So about the same as from an online vendor w/ shipping. Didn't realize they were under new ownership...I've been going there around 4 years since I moved here.

Edited by Rob Hall

Revell new releases tend to be around $22-24. So about the same as from an online vendor w/ shipping. Didn't realize they were under new ownership...I've been going there around 4 years since I moved here.

So about the same price's as Hobby Bench and even Hobby Lobby pre coupon, thats what I was told, I dont remember the details.