Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Ford F1 Question

I have a Revell Ford F1 in the stash. In reviewing the instructions, it doesn't apear that you can build the engine stock, but only as a customized Flathead V8. Does anyone know if the exhaust manifold & carburator are in the box?

The Ardun heads in the recent issue should be popular with the hot rodders, they were re-tooled and better than those in the older kits. It would probably be fairly easy to find someone interested in swapping them for the stock heads, stock flat heads are pretty common in 1930-50s Ford kits.

Another option is the Ardun heads were initially intended for heavy commercial use, so it may be appropriate for use in a non hot rodded truck. I'm not sure how many actually found their way into commercial trucks though.

If you have the one in this box

ford-f1-1950-pick-up-revell-escala-125-n

Or this one

1950_Ford_Custom_Pickup_Revell_Monogram_

No. I think the stock carburetor is still on the chrome sprue, these had the "hopped up" engine parts. Like Aaron mentioned, the Ardun heads in the newer version are better.

The original Monogram version of the kit has all the stock parts.

015.178115639_std.JPG

Obviously, this would be the best one for the stock heads, intake, and exhaust- other than those parts, the kits share the same engine block halves, front cover, etc.

I do have a couple of these stashed away, but no idea what parts are still in the boxes- I'll check and see if I have what you need.

Thanks for the info, Chuck. Yes, I have the latest reissue with the yellow F1 on the box. As to your offer, a local modeler has offered to trade me the Flathead V8 out of his 1949 Mercury kit for the one in the 1950 F1 kit. Seems reasonable to me.

Edited by Jim B

The Mercury engine would be a good substitute- both were the 8BA version of the engine. The Mercury had a longer stroke crank, but externally they were the same engine (other than the 1:1 engines being painted a different color depending on if they were in a Ford or Merc). The AMT Mercury engine is a very nice piece- doesn't take much more than basic detailing to make it really pop.