Model Cars Magazine Forum

A 1961 Cadillac (Modelhaus) FINISHED!! 5/11/06

MrObsessive

Well, I need something to break up the monotony of the superdetailing on the '55 Ford.............so I pulled out this forgotten model I bought a couple or so years ago at the NNL East.

This is The Modelhaus 1961 Cadillac Series 62 2 dr Hardtop.........I wanted to build something that was about as old as I am :shock: (not the actual model but the car :D ) So this is it!

I've always liked the jet like sleek lines of all the '61 GM lineup..............they were just starting to come out of the super excesses of the '50's yet they hadn't quite hit the simple lines that would be to follow as the '60's wore on.

I've just gotten as far as primering the body..........whoever did the master for this body did a pretty darn good job as there was never a 2 dr hardtop bodystyle modeled of a '61 Caddy. They were all four doors. They also "lengthened" the body to the correct proportions as all the Johan Cadillacs that this is based on were too "short". :?

As usual for Modelhaus standards there were NO pinholes to fill in and the resin is of very good quality. The roof had a very slight bow in towards the center, but some hot water and some bending fixed that. I noticed this when I was test fitting the front and rear glass and it wasn't fitting as flush as I would like.

Here's the body in primer so far..............

P4220228-vi.jpg

P4220229-vi.jpg

P4220230-vi.jpg

There'll be more pics to follow after I get the color coats on and paint the interior. It's rainin' hard here today..........so now's the time I guess since I can't do yard work! :wink:

Thanks for lookin'!

BILL

Thanks Bob!

The exterior will be '61 Caddy York Blue..........a sorta solid Navy Blue. The interior will be a medium blue. It's kinda hard to find interior photos of older Cadillac's............I had some pics of a '61 from an eBay auction a while back. Thank goodness I saved them and burned them on CD.

That car also had a blue interior so I have some reasonable reference.

I figured it was time to do something a little simpler to break out of the mold of superdetailing..............I think I'll be doing this a lot more as my time isn't as plentiful as it used to be! :D

BILL

Okay!

In the last couple hours, I was able to lay down several color coats of the York Blue and now need to let it sit for a couple weeks before rubbing it out.

I could speed things up a bit and let it sit in the dehydrator.........but we'll see. I'm not crazy about dehydrators after having a bad experience with one years ago :D.........so I've learned to exercise patience. 8)

First, here's a pic of where I do all my painting in the house...... I live in a 3 bedroom rancher..........(2 of the bedrooms are quite small) so I turned one of them into a build room.

P4220231-vi.jpg

The other side of the room I have this table although it's a lot messier now! :shock:

PB060006-vi.jpg

Here's the Caddy now that it's been painted.......

P4220233-vi.jpg

P4220234-vi.jpg

P4220237-vi.jpg

While the paint's drying, I'll start on the interior..........I'll mix the blue with some aluminum Alclad to make a medium blue interior. I may add a couple details like a rear view mirror and the "Autronic Eye" on the dash.

When the body dries I'll rub it out with the polishing cloths and Meguiars Car Cleaner Wax.

Stay tuned and thanks for lookin'!

BILL

Ok, fellas...............here's the latest on my "quick" build '61 Cadillac. I got as far as getting most of the body rubbed out and polished, and will soon start on the interior.

Here's some new pics of the progress.........

The chassis that The Modelhaus gives you........looks like basically a repop of the old Johan kit chassis.

P4300243-vi.jpg

The interior..........which was modified to become a 2 dr------some of us old timers remember that there were no '61 2 dr hardtop Caddies. Both the '61 and '62 were 4 doors. I LOVE the separate door panels.....makes painting a LOT easier!:)

P4300246-vi.jpg

The Modelhaus gives you the correct wheels and WWW tires with the kit. The tires look like repops of the '59 Cadillac kit from Monogram. The wide whites would be correct for a '61 as this would be the last year they were offered across the GM lineup.

P4300247-vi.jpg

OKAY! Now where gettin' somewhere! I got the body pretty much all polished out............and have done a "mockup" to see where the body would sit in relation to the chassis. Lookin' good so far! I'm just trying out the BMF to make sure the sheet gives me no surprises!

P4300250-vi.jpg

One of the things I like to focus on when rubbing out the body is to put a lot of emphasis on the hood, roof and decklid. The reason for this is when the model is on display, that's the first thing most people will notice. You can have all the bells and whistles on your model..............but if the paint job looks like hell, it won't matter!

P4300252-vi.jpg

I'll get the rest of the driver's side polished out later today and get the interior painted also. Contrary to popular belief.......................painting is not the most difficult job in putting the finish on a model-----------rubbing it out and polishing it is! :)

P4300253-vi.jpg

I give a lot of kudos to whoever did the master for the body on this one. Like I mentioned above, there were no '61 2 door hardtops done of any Cadillac by Johan (they didn't appear until '63 or '64). The body has been corrected to the correct length as the Johan bodied were a little "short". Word has it that Johan originally did this to get the model to "fit" in their boxes. Probably economically sound at the time, but wreaks havoc on us detail guys 45 years later! :(

Anyway, a kit well worth the money-------------and by golly I think I'm hooked! This is actually my first attempt at a 1/24-1/25 resin buildup believe it or not!

Stay tuned as I'll try to get this baby done by next weekend!:D

Thanks for lookin!

BILL

• 2 weeks later...

OK Fellas......she's all done!

Except for a couple minor details, for all intents and purposes, this baby is DONE!

Here are some pics......

P5110384-vi.jpg

P5110386-vi.jpg

P5110387-vi.jpg

P5110388-vi.jpg

P5110389-vi.jpg

P5110390-vi.jpg

P5110392-vi.jpg

I've decided NOT to paint in between the spokes on the wheelcovers body color........I think it makes the wheels look "busy" and I've seen '61's that had full chrome wheelcovers.

I may add an outside fender antennae..........and since the body is not fully set on the chassis yet, I should add an inside rearview mirror. Or maybe not.......:lol:

The kit had a few inaccuracies..........but it was a fun build just the same.......and as I mentioned before, I have a few more resin kits that I may build in the future. A '59 Buick, '61 Olds, and a '56 Stude Golden Hawk are just a few.......not to mention a bunch of 1/43 kits.

Thanks for lookin'!

Hi Bill...

I hoped you'd surface again somewhere. Nice to see you popping up in a location where you're shown the respect you deserve and the appreciation of outstanding craftsmanship you've earned.

After polishing off that fairly easy 55 Ford conversion,(I like to call it the Billl Geary snap series) it was good to see you tackle a real challenging project with the Caddy of the type that could elevate you to my level of building these days.

With my tongue firmly planted in my check (and fighting hard to keep from just busting a gut laughing) keep raising the bar Bill. And please above all else continue having fun building.

When are you coming back to a COMA meeting? We're holding a spot for you at the buffet table...in front of Lyle, Irv and Matt for sure!

Bill Coulter

Thanks for the nice words Bill!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to Toledo this year...........I plan on going to GSL (March '07?) and that falls in our same fiscal year at work. I'm only getting three weeks vacation (including personal days), and I need to carve out time for the summer months also.

Yeah, this board is real nice!..........unlike "the other place" there's no BS with anonymous smart aleck remarks and such.

BTW, you're gonna see more "curbsides" from me as I need a break from time to time with the superdetailed stuff........the Caddy was a fun car to do and I think I'm permanently hooked on resin now (especially Modelhaus!).

Heck, I may even throw in a 1/43 scale or two in there! 8)