Model Cars Magazine Forum

FAVORITE ENGINES- Post 'em here!

This thread needs some Aussie flavour

I absolutely love these motors! Hemi 265, 302hp 6 cylinder in a production car? Yes please!

austra4.jpg

And I love these, Holden 304. I don't love them because there awesome motors, because there not haha, but there just sick. I'm building one atm for the car in my dp. Mine looks nothing like this though haha, this one has all the fruit, as you can see.

alloy-engine-on-stand-weblo.jpg

Edited by DANB

Here are two of my favorites. First is a motor I had in my old daily driver my 78 Toyota Hilux. It was a hybrid R motor, 22R block with a 20R head. I had dual weber 40's, a street cam, Mikuni manifold, Pacesetter header, underdrive pully and a Celica 5spd backing it up.

JBSHI-LUX8.jpg

Next is my all time favorite engine. The great and rare Toyota 3T-GTE. It is fuel injected, DOHC, twin plug and turbocharged. I have one in storage that I am going to put into my 81 Corolla sport coupe.

3tgteadd.jpg

My favourite engine isn't a car engine at all. It's not even automotive.

It is the Napier Deltic.

A Napier Deltic is an opposed piston valveless two stroke Diesel used in marine and locomotive applications.

It is based on a German WWII Junkers JUMO design for an aircraft Diesel, which got paperclipped to England after the war and ended with Napier & Son, who developed and produced the engine.

It has 18 cylinders and three crankshafts forming a triangle, which gives the engine its name. This is an animation how the engine works in principle:

220px-Napier_deltic_animation_large.gif

This is a diagram of the crankshaft arrangement:

deltic.jpg

A cutaway:

deltic2.jpg

To give you an idea of the size of the engines:

Napier%20Deltic%20Engines.jpg

And this is the prototype of the class 55 'Deltic' locomotives:

delticR.jpg

22 of these locos were built by English Electric in 1961 and 1962. Each of them had two Napier Deltic engines with 1650hp each.

Edited by Junkman

My favourite engine isn't a car engine at all. It's not even automotive.

I is the Napier Deltic.

A Napier Deltic is an opposed piston valveless two stroke Diesel used in marine and locomotive applications.

It is based on a German WWII Junkers JUMO design for an aircraft Diesel, which got paperclipped to England after the war and ended with Napier & Son, who developed and produced the engine.

This is why I love comming here, always something new to learn, that thing is awesome !!!! Thanks for posting that !!!

I think you should trade it for that 6 rotor monster a few posts back...OMG

I was thinking it was from an eclipse or laser myself. Never guessed mazda

A rotary engine wouldn't fit/wasn't designed for a FWD car. The FE3 is pretty much the best bang for your buck for engine swaps into an early MX-6.

A rotary engine wouldn't fit/wasn't designed for a FWD car. The FE3 is pretty much the best bang for your buck for engine swaps into an early MX-6.

It was called the "luce R130", and there is always a way !!!

But there is always an easier way too. Maybe not the best bang for your buck, but you would get a butt load of attention