Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Buick Invicta Overhaulin Updated 11/30/13

HNTR

Interesting looking old Buick. One thing that looks odd is the front end looks like a '59, and the rear fins look like a '60. The '59s had a more pointed fin and the '60s were a little shorter and rounded much like your model.

The 60's headlights are all level across, while the 59 they are sloping up. The 59 is the only year the headlights and grill were of this configuration.

1958 Buick Front end

2812261097_61c9fb0992_zps7a87e8c5.jpg

1959 Buick Front end

1959-Buick-Lesabre1_zpsfe8a0eab.jpg

1960 Buick Front end

7521507324_62257ceea0_zps42f59161.jpg

That front end to me is what really makes this car. It almost looks like its mean. I think the movie Christine should of been this car. Not the "Fury" they say it was or the "Belvedere" it really was.

Ya got me there as I noticed the rounded fin tips on the model and it remided me of the '60. Thanks.

59chassis-vi.jpg

Here is a resin '59 Buick body over the Revell 1959 Chevy convertible chassis. First, it's too short. I lengthened it over the front wheels to get it to fit the body. Second, it's absolutely the wrong chassis. I got wacked on the board for it, and lost enthusiasm for the project. So it sits waiting for a better idea.

605560buickhtamtS_zps6c0b55e7-vi.jpg

and here's a picture of the stock AMT chassis that is under the AMT 1960 Buick. I'm not sure if this is right for the '59

Edited by Tom Geiger

It seems that the whole rear end has been sanded. From the panel line to the fins, their all gone.

Tom, That is the same frame I am going to use. It doesn't matter if it is the right frame or not. I like accuracy but I have started many models trying to do them accurate but all that has done was left an unbuilt kit in a box. Look at all the Tom Daniels kits, Not fully accurate there is it? I am not building this one for accuracy, as much as I am building it for myself. Don't let people bring you down. It is about having fun with your hobby!

Tom, the chassis on my '59 is almost identical to the '60 one you show.

The main difference is that the '59 had no engine, so the underside of the engine is modled right in the chassis.

Also, the screw mounts are in a different location, probably to allow for the opening hood and engine on the '60.

And I agree - the modified chevy chassis you did looks good - I'd just go ahead and finish it with that.

The '59 and '60 Buicks used what GM called a K Frame. The one Tom posted as an AMT stock '60 in post #29 is essentially correct, as far as the frame itself goes. The suspension parts...well it gets a little wonky there. lol.

Between the two years there were only minor differences, basically in the way the big K member was shaped in profile, to allow the designers to drop the front floors down just a tad.

That all said, Tom, you gotta finish that sucker. These cars are epic and the bottom is completely unimportant in relation to the top side. Besides, GM frame designs of the era changed with the wind. If you don't want to finish it, send it to me...I'd be more than happy to have it! :D

UPDATE: Like I said, all the panel lines have been sanded off in the rear. I have taped new panel lines and began scribing. I also have the hood almost out but due to it being the main stabilizer in the front I will finish that job once all other scribing is done. I am making the panel lines a little bit wider because I want wider chrome there. lol I was also going to sharpen the "fins" in the rear but decided not to. I like the way the curves on this car are and feel the curves will look much better like on the 1960 Buick. I am still going to use the '60 Impala convertible kit as the donor for the chasis and most of the other parts, sue me. Here are the pics.

Hood almost cut out

DSCN1767_zpsec8cd59b.jpg

Scribing lines taped off.

DSCN1763_zps306d179b.jpg

DSCN1764_zps18857e31.jpg

DSCN1765_zps090a2ebd.jpg

DSCN1766_zpsaf92e7b6.jpg

Edited by HNTR

It seems that the whole rear end has been sanded. From the panel line to the fins, their all gone.

Tom, That is the same frame I am going to use. It doesn't matter if it is the right frame or not. I like accuracy but I have started many models trying to do them accurate but all that has done was left an unbuilt kit in a box. Look at all the Tom Daniels kits, Not fully accurate there is it? I am not building this one for accuracy, as much as I am building it for myself. Don't let people bring you down. It is about having fun with your hobby!

Exactly, and you're not plannin' on displaying your model upside down are you?

conniekit-vi.jpg

as far as the chrome trim lines on the fins, they are pretty much non existent on the original kit. I just checked the above car as well as another untouched resin body I have. Very faint lines on the top, nothing on the underside. On the 1:1 car, the top and bottom of the fin are two different pieces and are pinch welded and unfinished under the chrome.

tom_12_21_08012-vi.jpg

And here's a shot of the 1:1 1960 Electra 2 door hardtop I used to own. Should have kept it!

I believe that is the exact bumper and tire carrier I am using. I also like those taillights.

Thanks Mark that is the bumper / connie kit from the Revell '59 Chevy convertible kit. I molded in the lower valance from the kit too. The tail lights are AMT '57 Ford with a Revell '59 Caddy bullet mounted in the center.

I've been playing with this one since the late 1980s. The body was a slush cast blob from a long defunct company. It was a hardtop but the pillars were so thin I just broke the roof off. There was a ton of slag attached to the rocker panels and the rear quarters were short shots. It was a mess. It took a lot of on and off work just to make it look like a nicely cast resin body!

I believe I will finish this one. I recently found a set of custom pattern seats I wanted to use in it. As far as explaining the chassis, I do have some Cuba license plates... somebody built up the Buick convertible on an available Chevy chassis.. yea, that's the story! :)

Sorry it has been a little while since I posted. Still carving out the lines. Found a pic of exactly how I want to build this kit. I will also have to carve out the grill and redo it. Here is a pic of how I do plan I building it, other than I am building a convertible. The interior will have some light blue highlights.

5313056e-4670-4a6b-bd2e-e148b65a3b70_zps

Edited by HNTR

The '59 is indeed a beautiful car wiyh nice, flowing lines. I built a swap meet cast away '59 Buick a few years ago. I built mine as a custom convertible with a mostly scracth-built interior. Let me see if my laptop is co-operating this morning (pictures on my hard drive) as I don't have them on my phone.

BRB......*

​I took out the front grill and now I need help. While I am hollowing out the headlights I could use some (ALOT) of input on what to use and how to redo my grill. I want it to look like the one in the included pic. Please and thanks for your help.

This is what I want my grill to look like:

5313056e-4670-4a6b-bd2e-e148b65a3b70_zps

This is my grill carved out and needing suggestions. I am hollowing out the headlights as we speak.

DSCN1789_zps5e291fc6.jpg

DSCN1790_zps030cbe47.jpg

DSCN1791_zps3a343ce2.jpg

I kept the old grill so I can use it as a template.

So help please

Models_110046-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This started as a $5 model club meeting purchase. Modelhaus bumpers & dash, Pegasus wheels, Model Master water based acrylic air brushed with a cheapie Badger. The entire interior was fabricated e/ Pegasus speakers & power amps in the back seat. Seats from the Matt Hayes T-bird. Cruiser skirts started a sheet Evergreen.

Doesn't the '59 Chev have a tube grille that could be cut to fit? You won't get the curves under the headlights like the 1:1 pic, but you have left the headlights attached to the bumper which is a good idea for this.

It does but it has too many horizontal posts and comes to a point in the center. If you look close under the headlights it does have the verticle lines. I want to match those lines up and just give it a "white" wash in between them so it looks like the body is behind it like in the pic.

I am leaning towards just stretching some sprue and sanding it flat to put in there. That way I can make it whatever size I want. I was hoping there is an easier way.

0f6688be-fead-4bb5-8b1f-0285060529b9_zps

Edited by HNTR

AMT '58 Chevy and '57 Ford both have tube grilles that are flat.

Aside from that how about some stainless steel or aluminum wire instead of the streched sprue? Both polish up nicely.

I thought about that. My idea was being that I was going to send it out to chrometech when I was done. I have a few more parts that are going to him also. I know about the alclad but it is just not the same shine.