Model Cars Magazine Forum

A look at the controversial Camaro wheels

ismaelg

Sigh..............:roll: This is one of the things I'm going to rant about this weekend in a post to all the model companies when I get time.

I really want to build this car just like the concept car as it appeared at last years NAIAS. But those wheels and particularly those terrible sink marks are a MAJOR turnoff!!

Looks like if want the model I want with proper looking wheels, I'll have to break out the trusty 'ol Dynatron Putty-Cote............:x

I bought two of these Camaro kits, built one straight out of the box (and didn't bother to correct the wheels, as I felt that the kit was so bad that correcting the wheels wasn't worth the effort), and the second kit is about 1/2 completed as a conversion to what I think the proposed 2009 Monte Carlo (which is roomered to share the Camaro platform) may look like. With the conversion, I scratch-built a new hood that opens at the front of the car and is glued shut, so that I don't have to look at the "lump" that AMT calls an engine (it doesn't look anything like the LS6, let alone any small block Chevy mill - it looks more like a diesel engine block!).

Revell/Monogram is supposed to have a Camaro out in 2007.

Your wheels are waaaaaaaaaaaay worse than mine! I have two examples and neither have spokes anywhere near that bad. Three of the four on each tree are nearly perfect, just one of the smaller fronts has slightly larger dimples.

Guess QC isn't all that great. I need to check the hood fit on my second one, the first one is perfect but I've heard that some hoods are warped.

I'd be PO'ed too if those were my wheels.

At least if R/M gets the body and the wheels right, I can kitbash the rest.........:wink:

I'm leaning the same way, Bill and waiting for the RM kit and kitbash the two along with the Z06 block and heads. RIght now, I'm far enough behind on building that the Camaro is not high on my list.

On the deck right now are:

1) Tamiya 360 Modena with Lion Roar/AcuStion PE sets. This one will be done as a mild tuner

2) Revell 56 DelRay as a street machine with the SMB Chevy with Model Car Garage PE and R&MofM Turbohydro

3) Fujimi Mini Cooper S (LHD) with custom wheels and some added tuner body cladding.

4) Fujimi EM Ferrari 246 Dino GTS (the original issue) along with S27 Photoetch.

So fill them dimples!

Heck, did anybody promise you a rose garden?

Even during the "Golden Era" of modeling, there were sink marks, and ejection pin marks....

That is what seperates the talent from the poser.

Quit complaining and get something painted fer'heavens sake!*

*The above was said with the greatest love and respect for you guys and your building talents!

:-)

J

So fill them dimples!

Even during the "Golden Era" of modeling, there were sink marks, and ejection pin marks....

*The above was said with the greatest love and respect for you guys and your building talents!

J

I totally agree. I guess my point is that the subject is not that important (at least to me) to justify all the extra work. Having this been a grail of sorts, I'd be busy fixing it :wink:

Now, where's that Revell chopper bike?

Yeah, Jairus, you're right about that! Most of us can get past the shortcomings of this kit. Its just sad to see a great kit with lousy QC. If a beginner builds this kit, they'd probably be dissappointed at the final outcome. So many sink marks, so little time!

My hood fitment is good, but the hood is bad... the underhood detail comes thru the top and creates waves on the surface. I guess a lot of filling and sanding would smooth it out, I'm just not going to go that far. This is intended to be a one week wonder build for me (well, maybe 2 weeks :? ) and right now I just want to get 'er done.

So fill them dimples!

J

Thanks for your comment Jairus.

Since all I build are vintage kits or reissues from the so called "Golden Era" of modeling, I'm used to fixing all the little idiosyncracies. I wouldn't know what to do with a Tamiya kit :) :!:

yeah thanks. i guess we should just all take what we are given, the hell with accuracy or even quality control. just shut up and build.

right.

thats really gonna improve things and *really* gonna get new people involved in the hobby...when ###### is ###### right out of the box.

im sorry, i dont agree. when i buy a new product i expect it to be at least semi worthy. now if this were a reissue from long ago things like this would be excusable but i see no excuse for this business right here, just lazy quality control. i would rather spend my time modifying something for a reason than to make up for cheapness and/or laziness on the part of the manufacturer.

but like they say, screw me once, shame on you; screw me twice, shame on me. and imo AMT is on about its 20th screw job this year.

but it does provide some comic relief.

you might want to move this to the rant dept.

I see both arguments here and I can honestly say no one is wrong.

The fact that this is an all new tool should mean top quality and few, if any blemishes.

This being a kit that was brought to market quickly probably means that items were overlooked to avoid delays and to get it into our hands.

I am not happy about the sinkmarks in my two kits any more than the others here but what can I do? Call up AMT or log onto their website? That is a start but doesn't mean that the problem is solved. I think I read that AMT/RC2 has sold out the first run production of this kit and undoubtedly will produce more. Will they fix these before the next run? Maybe/Maybe not. It will most likely depend on how much it will cost and how long it will take. I do know that if we as a group decide to boycott AMT/RC2, we will only hurt ourselves as they will have less revenue in which to invest in new subjects and revise existing molds.

Sorry to rant, but in the grand scheme of things, I will try to fix my kits problems and worry about bigger things in my life. I enjoy the challenge these present and the escape from reality of work and family life.

Happy New Year!

Mike

So fill them dimples!

J

100% with you on this. . .

I'll just add this. . . " Who said it would be easy? "

:wink: