Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

just got an original 70 1/2 MPC corvette coupe mib,,,and an original MPC 56/57 CORVETTE  BUDD ANDERSON 7 IN 1 mib.......guess its vette month for me........the Ace....:lol:

That original MPC '57 Vette was a mega-cool kit in its day, and still is. I had two of them and still have many of the pieces of both.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "70 1/2" Corvette?

That original MPC '57 Vette was a mega-cool kit in its day, and still is. I had two of them and still have many of the pieces of both.

Might be this one. 1/20

.....no ignorance in that question, at all, Richard.....the annual 1/25 scale MPC 70 VETTE box calls it a 70 1/2 .......sorry I can't post pics presently as I have no camera.....and yes, that 56/57 Vette  original is one nice kit. similar in equipment to the re issued 60 Vette that came out a few months back, but not identical . this 56/57 has a nice little show display stand, and only the small interior  cover for the salts,, where the 60 has no display stand, but both the small and larger interior covers. the 56/57 blower scoop is smooth all round, where the 60 issue has a nice finned top half of the scoop......everything else, other than the dash of each, looks the same....both will build a neat early NHRA sports production class racer.....the Ace......;)

Edited by AC Norton

Yea Snake, the face lifted '70 Corvette did not show up on the show floors of the dealers until the new 1970 Camaros were ready to make their appearance. Which wasn't until about February of 1970. Serveral months after other new '70 Chevys. Chevrolet built '69 Corvettes and Camaros later into the year than normal. And in some states, these were required to be titled new 1970 automobiles. The above holds true for the new Pontiac Firebirds too. So in lots of printed materials from the time, you'll see these three cars referred to as '70 1/2s.

Yea Snake, the face lifted '70 Corvette did not show up on the show floors of the dealers until the new 1970 Camaros were ready to make their appearance. Which wasn't until about February of 1970. Serveral months after other new '70 Chevys. Chevrolet built '69 Corvettes and Camaros later into the year than normal. And in some states, these were required to be titled new 1970 automobiles. The above holds true for the new Pontiac Firebirds too. So in lots of printed materials from the time, you'll see these three cars referred to as '70 1/2s.

I have most of the Chevy showroom literature from 1967 to 1972. I'll have to look at the Corvette brochure and see what it says.

Okay, I didn't have time to dig out my '70 Vette brochure last night but I just looked it up online and the one I found is identical to the one I picked up at my local Chevy store in September 1969. It says 1970 Corvette on the cover and all the way through it and the photos all show the new type side vents and so forth. I also don't remember any late introduction for Corvette that year, though as you say the new Camaro and Firebird didn't show up until about February.

They kept the '69 Camaro and Firebird production lines open into the fall that year. I don't know for certain whether these cars were titled as 1969s or 1970s, but I can tell you that I have a factory photo of a "69" Camaro with "1970" license plates on it. What's interesting about it is that the car has the Magnum 500 SS wheels, which hadn't been available on Camaro in '67, '68, or '69. I don't know if those wheels were actually available on those late-production Camaros or not, but I've seen a couple of restored cars running them (not that that means anything at all--look at how many '66 Chevelles you see with Rally Wheels). I can tell you that I personally never saw a "69" Camaro with those wheels "back in the day."

Snake, it's amazing what the manufacture would do from time-to-time, with out public notification. I too know nothing about Magnum 500s being available on Camaro from the factory. But, I would not be surprised to see a publicity photo around that time with them. I have a buddy who owns a black '71 Buick Riviera with factory installed front light monitors. The trouble is, most, if not all of Buick's 'official" literature for 1971 will tell you that the color black and lamp monitors were not available on 1971 Rivieras. Both items became available for '72. Yet my buddy has the build sheet and the trim and option tags that show both of these items were installed on his car at the factory. It turns out, they both became available near the end of '71 model run.

Back to half year cars. I'm sure you've heard of '64 1/2 Mustangs? No such beast existed according to Ford at the time. All Mustangs built in 1964 were 1965 models said Ford. When the other '65 Ford models came out later that fall, Mustang got several changes. Big things like the 2+2 body style and an alternator replacing the generator on the "early" '65s. Plus many other minor minor changes. These were such that car guys started to refer to the early '65 Mustangs as '64 1/2s. I've also heard that some states were not willing to title the early Mustangs as '65s either. I don't know if that's true or not. But, again according to Ford back then, there were no 1964 1/2 Mustangs. Only '65s.

Despite the late introduction of both the '70 Camaro and Corvette, I again don't know if any official Chevy literature referred to them as 70 1/2 models, or not. But, it was commonly made reference to in the press. More so with the Camaros and Firebirds, since they went through big changes. But, I have seen it with the Corvette too.

I just got these from a garage sale today. Revell Titanic (factory sealed) Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo (un-built) two boxes of Testors bottled paint's (one still sealed) ,and one unused tube of Testors model glue. All for $20.00

Just did some checking online. The last '69 Corvette were built in December of 1969. The first '70 Corvettes did not go down the line until after January 1, 1970. Rather than late July, into August 1969 for most other 1970 model year cars.

Interesting. I never heard about that. But they had the literature in the showroom in September. I know, because that's when I got mine. :blink:

I just got home from work. And waiting in my porch is the IMC Avenger GT-12 kit I ordered off of eBay a couple of days ago. Opening it up, I'm pleased with what I found. I'll do a more complete and thorough inventory of the parts later tonight. But, it looks complete and in better shape than described. The thing I didn't see at a glance are the rear tires for the drag car version. They maybe molded in the green plastic parts like most of the rest of the kit is molded in. And not vinyl like the street tires. I really didn't look for them. And, if they are not there, it's really no big deal to me, since I'll be building the street version. The only problem I was worried about that I could see in the the pictures on eBay. The lower front valance panel is broken. But, I see now it's a very clean break. And will be no problem what so ever to fix.

As you can probably tell, I'm very happy with what I got. This will be an odd and interesting kit to put together. Odd only from the fact that I don't think I've ever seen one "in the flesh" before this. Not a a lot of them show up our MCCM meetings or model shows I've attended.

Oh, and doing more research a the history of '70 1/2 Corvettes and Camaros. It turns out that the last '69 Camaros were built in November of 1969. About a month before they quit building '69 Corvettes. Start up time for the new '70s were about the same for both though.

Cool! Be sure to post lots of in-box and WIP pics of the thing. Many of us have never seen one.

Sorry Snake. I have no way of posting pictures to this site. I'm willing to take pictures and send them to you if you wish. Or you can go on eBay and look at completed auctions for the kit. The seller had pretty good pictures posted there. Either way works for me.

Sorry Snake. I have no way of posting pictures to this site. I'm willing to take pictures and send them to you if you wish. Or you can go on eBay and look at completed auctions for the kit. The seller had pretty good pictures posted there. Either way works for me.

Come on Scott!  You spend a lot of time here, so invest a bit of time in figuring out how to post pictures.  Once you see how easy it is, you'll slap yourself for waiting so long!

Come on Scott!  You spend a lot of time here, so invest a bit of time in figuring out how to post pictures.  Once you see how easy it is, you'll slap yourself for waiting so long!

Your proably right. I'm just not greatest at figuring how do things like that. I do know how send photos in attachments via email, and that's about it. The idea of these picture storage sites just seems too complicated to me. (Though I must admit, I haven't really, truly ever checked them out.)

Scott, have you dragged and dropped photos to another folder on your computer?   Posting to Fotki is that simple!  Select the files, drag them from your folder to the Fotki screen and they go there!

The question is, how do you get them from Fotki to here?

A more thorough look at the Avenger GT. Everything looks to be there other than the drag slicks. And I like I said in an earlier posting above, that is no big deal to me. The kit has several parts in it are not used in this kit, and look like they were designed for IMC's Beetle kit. The chrome tree even includes stock VW hub caps. But, not wheels to mount them on. Another non-plated part looks like a firewall for a Beetle. And there are more. So the kit is not only complete. It's more than complete.

By the way, Bill's link above will take you to the kit I bought. But, when I clicked on it to look at the photos of parts, it showed photos from the Avenger kit that is still up for sale. The kit with a more beat up box and some parts already painted. It has an opening bid that is less than what I paid. But, I felt the one I bought was in a little better shape. And I could buy it on a "buy it now" bid.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...