Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dirk's AMT 73 Mustang

Dirkpitt289

Onward and upward. Time to introduce my next plastic debotchery. Here's what we will be starting with

IMG_1111.jpg

This kit is a piece of kaka. Doo doo, monkey feces, donkey doo.... I think you get my drift. Some of you may ask why I feel this way about the fine looking box of plastic. Well.... When I bought this I was looking forward to building a nice replica of Eleanor from the 1974 movie "Gone in 60 Seconds." There is nothing in this box that resembles the Mustang printed on the box top other then the body shell. I just blew $16 plus the time and gas to drive to the LHS to purchase it. Dejected I tossed the box under my bench where it sat for a few weeks. Admittedly I would kit the box every chance I got. This was childish I know but it made me feel a little better... I'm lying it didn't make me feel better but I did it anyway.

Now some of you will argue that this is a fine kit and could easily be made into a race car of some kind and you'd be right but that's not what I had planned. As the kit sat under my bench I had found and purchased a Mad Max interceptor kit. While I was waiting for it to arrive I started scouring the internet for information and what have you to get me ready to build that kit. As most of you may already know the all black interceptor that Max drove was a 1973 XB GT Ford Falcon Coupe, a car exclusive to Australia. A car that looks very much like a 73 Mustang. So... Not one to like to waste money I decided that the Mustang could be a nice accompaniment to the Interceptor when done. So the idea was born to turn this 73 turd of a Mustang into a polished Mad Max Interceptor type car. As Will Darnell said in the move Christine, "You can't polish a turd." I'm going to try and prove him wrong.

Now when everyone thinks of the Mad Max cars they always think of the Black Falcon. I decided I'm going to try and make this one into something more like its lesser known and more colorful cousins.

friends91.jpg

Here are more shots of the kit parts.

IMG_1112.jpg

Look ma no inner engine compartment walls. AUGH!!!!

IMG_1113.jpg

Here are the dingle berries. The smaller parts of the big turd. :rofl: I crack me up. Not a single Mustang related part in this photo

IMG_1114.jpg

I started out by giving everything a cote of black primer. That was before I decided to not do the all black scheme.

IMG_1115.jpg

If you like the smell of an old age home or like nurseries and the oder that accompanies those places stay tuned for more.

I will be watching this one, I think its a cool idea to turn it in to a aussy version, I am have been wanting to do a car from down under

Are there not any better 73 stang kits out there?, been thinking about doing the 73 eleanor myself as well to go along with the the 67, now I know to avoid this kit

Edited by martinfan5

After doing some reading I thing the way to get a good 73 is to get this kit here for the body and the AMT 71 Mustang (I think. The one with the Blue Boss 351 on the boxtop) for everything else. Of course neither have the correct smooth hood that the Eleanor had so that would need to be modified or taken from one of the Drag kits.

That's going to be a project for another day.

Sorry Luis but I think those wheels are perfect for this build.

For me when I first start a kit I tend to get a nice start and plenty of progress. This kit is no different. Last night I started by removing the extra plastic supports on the body and got her all cleaned up and ready for primer.

IMG_1118.jpg

Because this car will primarily be yellow I used white primer as the base. After it dried I found a few more spots that will need some more attention before I apply the first color

IMG_1131.jpg

One of the first issues I needed to address with this lit was its instrument cluster. As you can see it didn't have one.

IMG_1123.jpg

This however was a blessing in disguise. Seeing how I wanted to make this into a Mad max like MFP Police car I had decided that to make it more authentic it would need to be a right hand drive car. This over site by the manufacturer made my job so much easier. In my mind I was planning to cut the dash up into three sections and swap them around like dominos. No need to now.Using my pin-vice and varied drill bits I made the new instrument gauges on the blank canvas. I also took this time to properly mount the steering wheel. If you look at the above picture you can see a guide mounted UNDER the dash for the steering column. made it so it now goes through the dash like its real life big brother.

IMG_1125.jpg

test fit the new steering column location. That's MORE better if you ask me. :rofl:

IMG_1126.jpg

More to follow.... Thanks for looking

Keep in mind my goal is not to make an exact representation of the car pictured above. It's to take this POS AMT kit and make it in to a believable representation of another model of the car. Much like my local Police department they have many different cruisers in their parking lot. Caprice Classics, Crow Vics, Dodge Chargers and Doge Durangos. So I don't think that it would be unthinkable that the fictitious MFP would have other cruisers other then the Ford XB Falcon.

Time for some plastic surgery

DoctorBefore.jpg

Here is what AMT feels is a good engine compartment.

IMG_1127.jpg

With my razor saw and drummel in hand I set to work undoing this miscarriage of plastic injustice.

Due to the graphic nature of this procedure I will just show you the end results

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

That wasn't soooo bad

DoctorAfter.jpg

Now to let our patient recoup for a bit. While that was happening I was looking over some junkyard motors I have lying around. Just deciding if I want to use one of these or the kit supplied motor. To be fair there is nothing wrong with the kit motor I just want to see if I may want to keep it for something else in the future. It was decided to use the kit supplied motor.

IMG_1130.jpg

Well that's it for now. Thanks for looking.

FYI the flat base model 1971-73 Mustang hood is found in the JoHan Mustang funny car kit. The hood is molded to the body but is easy to scribe along mold line to free it. It then fits the AMT and MPC bodies well.

I used this kit you have to build a Max Falcon....I'll try and get some pics today and post. BTW...the dash instruments are on the chrome tree as a 'pod' that was from the road race version of the Mustang kit from years ago.

Last night I started work on the 351 Cleveland power-plant for our Interceptor.

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

Removed the factory distributor blob to make room for a Ron and Pat Parks replacement unit.

IMG_1134.jpg

I thought about filling this hole in the block meant for the axel but decided that it wasn't worth the effort. I may regret this later but what the heck...

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

The replacement Distributor pack. I'll install this after the paint on the motor is fully dried.

IMG_1137.jpg

Time to focus some attention to the engine compartment. I have to admit I was so disappointed and disgruntled with the kit that I hacked off the parts without having a solid plan in place. I spent almost all day yesterday going over options and trying to formulate a fix. I'm not willing to buy a $20+ kit and harvest the firewalls for this build. I'm not lucky enough to have found one of those buys where you get a $20+ kit for some pocket change so that you don't feel bad taking the parts and making the kit unusable other then for other parts projects. Then a light went on. Meir inches from my work area was the answer.

I had received this convertible shell as a throw in when I purchased a Mustang McLaren. It was cut up when I got it and I used it to teach myself how to make the McLaren fenders for a future build. The car was destined for the trash until now.

IMG_0985.jpg

now I'm not delusional enough to think that this is a perfect replacement for the 73's engine compartment but it is miles ahead what I can scratch and seeing that this is not a factory or show class build I figure what the heck.

The downer

IMG_1138.jpg

The harvested parts

IMG_1139.jpg

After some trimming I dry fit the walls in place. I will still need to add some Evergreen to the back of the compartment to reach the firewall.

IMG_1141.jpg

Edited by Dirkpitt289