Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rally Car CBP

Dingo5162

For this build the kit must be a new kit, show all parts still on their plastic trees, they can be clean, dirty, ready to start a stage, in a service area, doing a night satge with working lights, BUT most of must be a rally car drift cars NOT allowed that is any Skyline or other car used for drifting car and provened to be either a dirt car or a bitumen rally car by that I mean it should have an interior shot showing navigatoin equipment ei; tripmeters map lights etc. other than that it is almost game on and yes marathon or Dakar type vehicles allowed including trucks. If there is not a good responce to this thread it will not go ahead.

Dingo B)

62rebal, as long as it relates to rallying it can be any car, any period, actual or fictious it doesn't matter as long as it's not got anything to do with drifting as that is not rallying even though some people think it is connected because of the drift side. When U think about it 62rebel the drift that those guys do started out in rallying as it is commonly known as the Scandinavian flick where the driver gives the car a little flick to the right or left befor going the other way it's thefastest way round a corner when doing 80mp/h+ or 100kp/h+ also it's almost the safest way, I say that because the last time I did that trick with my rally car ( a Renault12 at the time) I ended up crashing into a tree going backwards at 60kp/h. Anyway back to the thread yes even the PanAmerica can go in as it's not really a raod race but a rally they use navigator gear in that.

000_0890.jpg

This is an Edsel I built in 2010 to represent the PanAmerican rally from the early days so U see that one can be part of it.

I hope to see you on board and hope it encourages others to take part it would be great to see more than I got with the other forum.

Dingo B)

Dingo I have 2 kits I would like to enter if you will accept. One is the Toyota corolla rally car the other is the 01 wrc focus. The body of the focus is in primer everything else is on the trees. The Toyota I got from my local club with the body painted white and half the decals on but again everything else on trees. Let me know If either will work. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just one question: I've participated in several low-key Time-Speed-Distance and "Scavenger Hunt" rallys in conjunction with local and national Corvair clubs I belong to. I did these in ordinary, mainly stock Chevrolet Corvairs, with the aid of nothing more than a navigator (in one case my then 11 year old daughter - we finished in the top 1/4 of the field and it was her first time navigating in any rally!) with a stopwatch and a clipboard. Would a replica of one of the cars I drove in one of these be eligible? I realize that you're aiming this at primarily Pro Rally-type cars, but this kind of grassroots rally has a following too. If you don't consider this type of thing in keeping with your theme, no problem. Just thought I'd ask.

Jim, I don't mind grassroots level cars as long as it doesn't look like a drift car I'm trying to stay away from these things as they sneak into too many builds these days as that is all some people think R around. By the way congrats on the top 1/4 of the field placing and say congrats to your daughter for me for doing such a great job as Navi, looks like U have a top flight navigator/CoDriver Jim.

Dingo B)

Since I'm building one anyways, I will enter a Tamiya Renault Turbo 5.

For what it's worth I literally just started it and was only able to get the engine glued together with a little paint. I know you want brand new models, but I hope you allow it in this build-off

Edited by wgflatliner

Well, since I've been meaning to replicate my beloved (former) 1966 Corvair Monza coupe in scale anyhow, and my wife and I ran several TSD Rallies and EconoRuns with it over the 7 years we owned it. The car was pretty well modified mechanically, putting over 220 h.p. to the wheels from a 164 c.i.d. engine with a .040 overbore, bigger valves and 4 bigger single-barrel carbs, a hotter cam and low-restriction intake and exhaust. The suspension was lowered about 1" all around and had adjustable gas shocks and poly bushings. It was a real screamer that surprised many an unsuspecting 5.0 Mustang in a straight line and more than a few BMW's in the twisties...

I'll get going on it as soon as I have a couple of models on my work table out of the way. I'll scratch up a clipboard and handheld stopwatch to go in it, along with the number placard that the car wore in all of the moving events at the 2003 Corvair Society of America National Convention. We ran mid-pack in the rally, 2nd in class in the EconoRun, I ran 3rd in my class in the Autocross and my wife was 5th in hers.) Can anyone recommend a good source for something that comes close to 1966 Chevy "Lemonwood Yellow" in a rattle can?

It looked nothing like a drift car. It actually looked basically stock if you overlooked the slightly wider-than-stock tires and the almost unnoticibly lower ride height. Since Corvairs ride pretty low already, an additional 1" drop didn't raise too many eyebrows.

Edited by CorvairJim

Patrik, if U want to run a street car as a rally car by all means many club rally cars started out this way before being taken off the road and built into full fledge comp cars, my Toyota Corolla started its life like that as a street car and when I became serious I added a rear half roll bar to start with and when I got the money from sponsors which I picked up I my second year I made it into a full cage BUT I still drove the car every day as a street runner actually Patrik that's how I met my now wife and she eventually became my driver and I switched to the Navi/Co-Drivers seat. We loved every minute of it so sure if U want to build a rally car model out of a street car kit go ahead just remember it must look something like a rally car.

To all others wishing to join this thread just remember it must look like a rally car "NO DRIFT CARS ALLOWED" it can be a club car, a state comp car, a national car, a WRC car, or even a Marathon or Trans-America rally car as long as it is a rally car of some sort and this does include tarmac rallies as well. Hope this clear things up a bit for allU budding raly car builders.

Dingo B)

Jim So you didint had any rollcage in it then?

No roll cage, no roll bar, no roll anything! The only aftermarket safety device in this inherently safe car (an intentional jab at ol' Ralph Nader!) were a set of shoulder harnesses and my good sense in knowing my own abilities and not getting in over my head. The car was capable of a lot more than I was! I will be ading the aftermarket gauges the 1:1 car had - a tach in the instrument panel's clock hole and a pod of three gauges (oil pressure, head temp, and voltmeter) suspended under the center of the dash.

Jim, Ralph Nader aside as he thinks no car is safe (we have a guy in Australia like that) the Corviar was a great car if U didn't want to turn a corner in a hurry I believe had a slight problem there BUT even the Cobra was like that great at speed in a straight line, everything else was a chore. Good car though and a great shape Chev had it right there.

Dingo B)

Patrik, so sure if U want to build a rally car model out of a street car kit go ahead just remember it must look something like a rally car.

it must look like a rally car " it can be a club car, a state comp car, a national car, a WRC car, or even a Marathon or Trans-America rally car as long as it is a rally car of some sort and this does include tarmac rallies as well. Hope this clear things up a bit for allU budding raly car builders.

Dingo B)

It will be a full fletch Historic rally Karmann giha buildt out of teh Tamyia Karman giha. Or at least somethin as close as possible to what could run in a classic rally event these days.

Sounds like a good project Patrik can't wait to see it start, mine is simular an Australian Ford Falcon from the late 60's once I get all the parts and peces for it I can start on its build BUT money is the problem at the moment everytime we get enough a ###### bill comes in and that comes first.

Dingo B)

Jim, Ralph Nader aside as he thinks no car is safe (we have a guy in Australia like that) the Corviar was a great car if U didn't want to turn a corner in a hurry I believe had a slight problem there BUT even the Cobra was like that great at speed in a straight line, everything else was a chore. Good car though and a great shape Chev had it right there.

Dingo B)

A first-generation (1960-64) Corvair could be a handful in a corner... IF you overcooked badly into the corner, IF the tires weren't inflated properly (factory specs were, believe it or not, 15 psi front/26 psi rear on the first-gen cars), IF your shocks, tires, or suspension bushings were badly worn... Gee, that's an awful lot of IF's, isn't it! Fact is, my '66 Monza was one of the best-handling cars I've ever driven. Even without that car's adjustable gas shocks, firmer, shorter springs, or urethane suspension bushings it would out-handle any contemporary compact car and many full-on sports cars of the era. Light weight, a low center of gravity, and a 4-wheel fully-independant suspension can do that for a car. I'm not sure what American compacts were available in Australia in the 1960's, but a 1965-69 Corvair would out-handle ANY of them! And when I say ANY American compacty of the late 60's, I mean not only such cars as the Falcon, Comet, Valiant, Dart, Studebaker Lark/Daytona, Rambler American, and Chevy II/Nova, but also the Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, and Javelin. In fact, during the first generation Corvair's run, only the Pontiac Tempest, with it's great weight distribution due to it's rear-mounted transaxle, even came close.

Sounds like a mean machine Jim, how can I get one nah only kidding I can't afford to run the 2 things I got now, normal road car 1990 Mitsubishi Magna and weekend warrior Mach1 Mustang '69 model, that thing has 4 twin webers on a crossflow manifold drinks like there's no tomorrow. Actually Jim it's more than a weekend warrior sometimes it gets used more than the 4 cylinder Mitsubishi here in Australia it is a bit of a rare horse as it's a 351ci with a 4 speed manual most R autos and only 302ci another rare car we have is a Nissan Skyline R34 GTR M-code this thing use to be a drift car but was converted back to road use and raffled of and a friend of ours won it then thought about who would need it more than he so we ended up with it, at the time we didn't have the Mach1 that belonged to my dad who is now too old to drive so he gave it to me because my brither has 3 boys who R car wreckers not lovers I'm glad he did give it to me as it's the only nice thing he's ever done for me U see jim we have never got on since I married my wife some 20 yrs ago now and had only one child instead of the normal 4 that the rest of the family has had anyway that's enough about me and my woes back to the thread how's that Corviar coming along good I hopw.

Dingo B)

Unfortunately it's in line behind a couple of other CBP projects with earlier deadlines. I have everything I need for it, including the interior from a 1966 annual kit 'Glue Bomb' that will have all the correct details for the year. AMT has reissued the "Late Model" Corvair coupe many times over the years, but always in 1969 trim. I can modify the '69 body back to '66 appearance just by removing the side marker lights, but the interior is another matter entirely. I think this build will be one that I use to 'decompress' when I get too wrapped up in another of my builds and need to do something different for an evening or two. Being a replica of my favorite car ever, it NEEDS to be done right, not rushed. I'll be posting a few shots of the 1:1 car withthe pics of the model when it's done, if that's OK with you...

That modified Mustang sounds like a real beast, and your Skyline would have a ready following here in the States. Nissan never exported them here. More than a few have been imported by individuals and brought into compliance with all the laws and regulations (The U.S. doesn't require changing a right-hand drive car over to left-hand drive, so that makes it easier), but it's not a car you'll see everyday... or every YEAR for that matter, outside of the occasional car show.

Edited by CorvairJim