Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/12 1930 Bentley Racing Car

That's looking great, John! Awesome detailing on te fuel tank. My only nit-picking comment is that I would seriously consider some different mesh for the windscreen guard, as Skip suggests - you're supposed to be able to see through it when it's up... it's not armour!

all the best,

M.

John,

Although probably not stock, consider boxing the inner frame rails like a race car. This model gets very flimsy while gaining weight. And those fender attachments will require ingenuity.

Great project for you.

Yes, someone with John's skill could replace the very fragile and flimsy fender struts and headlight brackets with stronger material. The cleaning lady snapped off three of my Bentley's fenders when lifting it to dust the bookshelf.

Edited by sjordan2

...........This car is painted closer to British Racing Green, whereas the Lauren car appears to be the sort of dark olive that was used on the Jaguar SS 100.

Skip.... I'm no expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.... but I was under the impression that "British Racing Green" was a generic term used during the early days to denote British racing cars. The actual green might vary between different manufacturers, (ie Lotus, BRM, Vanwall, etc. in the sixties) and even between the same manufacturer in different eras. So there is no actual "British Racing Green". Other countries had their own "National" racing colors.

Tony

Skip.... I'm no expert, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.... but I was under the impression that "British Racing Green" was a generic term used during the early days to denote British racing cars. The actual green might vary between different manufacturers, (ie Lotus, BRM, Vanwall, etc. in the sixties) and even between the same manufacturer in different eras. So there is no actual "British Racing Green". Other countries had their own "National" racing colors.

Tony

You're more correct than I am. It's sort of like "Bugatti Blue" and French racing blue - the shades are all over the place (though the original Bugatti Blue was supposedly chosen by Mrs. Bugatti to match the color of a pack of Gauloises cigarettes). The massive Schlumpf collection of Bugattis are finished in much darker blues, and even those shades vary. As for greens, I really meant to differentiate the darkness of the Lauren Bentley from lighter-colored racers. Here's a color sample from the 1937-38 Jaguar SS100 line, and while the quality of the image is not good, I'd say it's closer to the olive at the top.

colour_guide_sscarsb_6_400copy.jpg

Hello.......after Matt had mentioned that the mesh on my windshield looked like armour.......I too, thought it didn`t look right......so I changed it and used some of Greg Wann`s screen that he gave me.......hope it look`s better?.......thank`s Matt and Greg........I hinged the door`s...... they are in the rough I need to fiil in the gap`s and make door panel`s ,handles and lock`s.......a few people had asked how I hinged my door`s on my 'Star Of India" Roll`s.......well I am no expert but,I posted pictures to show how I do it......thank`s for looking.

DSCF2097.jpg

DSCF2098.jpg

DSCF2099.jpg

DSCF2101.jpg

Add me to the list of Blower Bentley fans.

Looking forward to seeing this unfold!

Remember, John, only 5 months 'til Desert Scale Classic! So, you have plenty of time to finish this one and four or five more killer builds!!! LOL.

B)

See you there Danno! Remember last time I showed there John?

Hello......it doesn`t look like much progress.......but, actually I did allot of work today......all chrome was stripped.......all half pieces were assembled ........ seam`s filled and sanded in the rough......and a quick mock-up for test fit.......I will drill holes for plumping and detail wiring tomorrow.......thank`s for loolking.

DSCF2134.jpg

DSCF2132.jpg

DSCF2131.jpg

DSCF2128.jpg

DSCF2127.jpg

Edited by John Teresi