Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ok folks, I've got some progress to share. I got the interior wood panels installed as well as made some floor rails out of sheet stock and bmf'ed. I got the replacement buckets striped from previous paint and test fitted. As you can see they are not fitting. So I took the base from the ugly kit seats and while it helped still not 100%. So I will have to remove the controlls from the sides of the seats. I'm off to shape up the seats and get ready for paint as well as decorate the interior door skins and start on the engine. No body work has been done due to the third striaght day of rain here. Will update soon.....

DSC02544-vi.jpgDSC02546-vi.jpgDSC02548-vi.jpgDSC02549-vi.jpgDSC02551-vi.jpgDSC02554-vi.jpgDSC02555-vi.jpg

Lookin' good, Bill! I knew you'd make good use of that stuff. Can't wait to see body paint and that 427!

Thanks again for the hook up Hugh! I was wondering where you were at. Good to see you on here.

Thanks again for the comments folks. Its been busy here for me lately but I should get some build time in tomorrow for at least the first half of the day. There calling for rain the next two days but I'm aiming for some color the first part of the week.

Got a update for you guys. Laid some paint today. It turned out pretty good, its got a couple boogers in there that should rub out. It don't look like a whole lot of polishing will be needed on this on. That's a first for me! No clear coat on this one as I want to give a feel for the paint of this era. I've got most of the interior done and moving into assembly with it. I think a may play with some half stock and do some kind of tuck and roll design to dress up the inner door panels some. I know my craftsmanship leaves something to be desired but this is up there with some of my best work and I'm pretty happy with how the build is going. Should be seeing more and more updates as assembly is really starting to take off.

DSC02565-vi.jpgDSC02576-vi.jpgDSC02573-vi.jpgDSC02571-vi.jpgDSC02575-vi.jpgDSC02574-vi.jpgDSC02577-vi.jpg

First off I want to thank everyone for your comments. It means a lot to me so thank you.

Roger, I thought it best to show you as it is an off the wall brand. Its called Dem-Kote. The color is John Deere Green. Also got some pics of the hood, which I had to paint today along with the rear door and visor, I'll get to that in a minute. Also a progress pic of the engine. I gotta say a little something about this here engine too, its one of the most ill fitting projects that I've come across, so unless you want a good challenge and something to work for, I don't recommend getting one.

DSC02578-vi.jpgDSC02581-vi.jpgDSC02582-vi.jpg

I thought that looked like John Deere green! That's why I was asking Bill. I have a John Deere tractor that's going to need that color. You know what would be cool? John Deere yellow on the wheels!

Yeah Bill why don't you explain a little about the paint you used :P

So since my butt-headed friend here (who which by the way prefers goats over women :P ) knows the story and brought it up so here it is. I'm a forklift technician by trade. One day I was at a customer servicing they're lift and I acquired this can of paint. I thought, I know the perfect build for this color, which is this kit I won on a raffle at my model car club. So yesterday I painted the two body sections as posted above. Well... I ran out of paint before I got to the hood, rear door, and visor. So I was really bummed cause I had forgotten where it was I got this paint and knew it was an odd paint. I googled it and searched for an hour last night trying to find this paint. The only thing that I could find remotely common was a store called Grainger. So I trucked it on over their today and didn't see it on the shelves. I searched the catalog and found it! Man what a relief that was. So today when I got home I was able to finish the paint. The best part is its a cheap enamel that only cost me $3.22! So needless to say, I'm gona look at what other colors this company offers for future builds.

I thought that looked like John Deere green! That's why I was asking Bill. I have a John Deere tractor that's going to need that color. You know what would be cool? John Deere yellow on the wheels!

I thought about putting some yellow in there but didn't want it to look like a tractor scheme. Nothing wrong with that I just didn't want it to get associated with John Deere. If you want to paint your tractor though you won't go broke doing it with this paint and it will look good.

I have some mock up shots for you guys after paint here. Next will be some finished shots of the interior. Then all I'll have is to polish and put the finishing touches on the body. Also I've had to scrap the 427 and go with the kit supplied engine as it would take a far amount of cutting and modifying to get it to fit and I was already too far into the painting process and interior work, as I would have had to make a much bigger trans tunnel.

DSC02588-vi.jpgDSC02593-vi.jpgDSC02595-vi.jpgDSC02592-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

And here are the finished pics. I finished it up yesterday. It was a good learning experience as I used some materials for the first time and played with the body giving it some mods. I'm really happy with how the paint turned out so I can put another notch in my belt as far as that goes. Some things I still need to focus on are the pre-paint steps and my fabrication work. I thought I had addressed all the fit issues but after paint did see some things that could have been done better. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I want to thank all you guys for your support and interest. I also want to thank Basher for the materials for the interior. That defiantly put this build up to another level.

DSC02646-vi.jpgDSC02647-vi.jpgDSC02648-vi.jpgDSC02649-vi.jpgDSC02650-vi.jpgDSC02651-vi.jpgDSC02654-vi.jpg