Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 57 caddy ?

CrazyGirl

Another thing to remember on this Caddy. The Roof is Bare Stainless Steel!!!

But.... How best to replicate that??

BMF, then gently rubbed with fine steel wool in straight strokes to get that "brushed" look is one way to do it. Then after you finish the roof, you add the "shiny" trim around the windows.

BMF, then gently rubbed with fine steel wool in straight strokes to get that "brushed" look is one way to do it. Then after you finish the roof, you add the "shiny" trim around the windows.

Will BMF conform to the compound-curvature of the roof panel without wrinkles ?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Will BMF conform to the compound-curvature of the roof panel without wrinkles ?

You would probably be best off doing it in sections, trying to foil the roof with one large piece would be practically impossible. I would do the center section, then add the left and right sides... you might have to go with several smallish pieces at the rear corners. Cut the pieces so that the joint lines run straight front to back. The texture from the steel wool would tend to hide the joint lines between the foil pieces.

It's not a perfect solution (is there one?)... but I think it gives the closest look to a "brushed" stainless steel top.

Thanks...you've given me a idea. I've noticed that Testors buffing Metalizers are very unforgiving as to hiding surface imperfections. Maybe if the surface is 'brushed' with sandpaper in one direction, very carefully before applying metalizer...part of it will shrink into the grooves and part will be at the top of the scratches. With the right grit paper and subsequent buffing, a convincing seam-free 'brushed stainless' finish might be obtainable. Worth experimenting on...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks...you have given me a idea. I've noticed that Tertors buffing Metalizers are very unforgiving as to hiding surface imperfections. Maybe if the surface is 'brushed' with sandpaper in one direction, very carefully before applying metalizer...part of it will shrink into the grooves and part will be at the top of the scratches. With the right grit paper and subsequent buffing, a convincing seam-free 'brushed stainless' finish might be obtainable. Worth experimenting on...

I like it!

Here's my only build of this kit. I decided after opening the box there was very little I liked about the kit so I decided a kustom was the way to go for me. The mods speak for themselves so I won't go into it unless anyone has any questions. As unimpressed as i was with the kit I would buy another one.

post-5297-0-93027600-1364775425_thumb.jp

post-5297-0-77273500-1364775441_thumb.jp

You would probably be best off doing it in sections, trying to foil the roof with one large piece would be practically impossible. I would do the center section, then add the left and right sides... you might have to go with several smallish pieces at the rear corners. Cut the pieces so that the joint lines run straight front to back. The texture from the steel wool would tend to hide the joint lines between the foil pieces.

It's not a perfect solution (is there one?)... but I think it gives the closest look to a "brushed" stainless steel top.

I'm not sure who made it, but several years ago at NNL East I bought a small sheet of something similier to BMF that had a brushed finished to it. It was a little thicker than BMF but still worked well, not sure how would look on a roof though.

Another thing to remember on this Caddy. The Roof is Bare Stainless Steel!!!

But.... How best to replicate that??

As it was brushed stainless, try the dull side of kitchen aluminum foil.

I'd get some Micro Scale foil adhesive, apply it to the roof, trim the foil, and then use BMF or the shiny side of the sheet of foil you used for the shiny bits.

Charlie Larkin

I guess when I said BMF, I should have said the Flat Aluminum,

then asked how best to tint over that to get the correct Stainless color?!?

Sanding the BMF???

Maybe buff it with an Ink Eraser, but, i would Not even try 1000 grit Sand paper

on it knowing how thin it is and how easily it tears!

To me, Paint would just look like Paint!

The top os Bare Stainless. How would I duplicate the Grain of the Bare metal with Paint?!!!

That is why I was thinking Start with (Flat Aluminum) BMF

it Already Has the grain effect, but is too like in color.

Too bad no one makes Stainless foil!!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan