Model Cars Magazine Forum

Studebaker Community Build...with a Meet & Greet in South Bend, IN?

Casey

Round2 has just reissued the '63/4 Studebaker Avanti, the AMT '53 Starliner and Revell "Miss Deal" kits are still easy to find, and the JoHan Lark and a few resin variants can be found with some effort, plus there are numerous die-cast Studes, too, including trucks. So, with that in mind...

I'm kicking off the Studebaker Community Build, with the twist being a get together at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana http://www.studebakermuseum.org/ Those interested in meeting there can bring their completed model(s) for a group meet and greet and display/photo shoot. I don't have anything fancy in mind, and no formal date has been chosen, but I would like to set a date after Labor Day in September or October 2013. As we enter 2013 and the Museum's events calendar becomes a little more clear, we can try to set a formal date.

The Auto World retail store is about 45 minutes NE of the Studebaker Museum, so that could be another place to visit, too. You do not have to attend the meet and greet to participate in the Community Build, and vice-versa. If you just want to show up at the Museum and meet some fellow MCM members, that'll work, too.

The build will be on the forum, just like any other CB, but if there's enough interest in a few of us getting together, we will certainly try to organize it and meet up. I'm sure some MCM members in the Soth Bend area can provide some input as to which day(s) would be best to avoid conflicts with any other major events going on in the immediate area.

Let me know your thoughts, comments, suggestions, complaints, etc, and we'll see where this goes.

Here are the general guidleines for the Studebaker CB:

1) Any Studebaker based vehicle is allowed, be it a plastic kit, resin body, die-cast vehicle, pressed steel toy, paper model, or scratchbuilt. If it's a Studebaker, it's in.

2) You should start with an unbuilt or less than 25% built model, so please no existing completed models for this CB, please. Rebuilding a glue bomb or re-doing a previously completed or pre-finished Stude works, too.

3) Enter as many or as few as you like.

4) Completion date is...whenever you finish.

5) Please post updates as your build progresses during the CB, and if you need help posting pics, please ask! I will be happy to help you show others what you're working on.

6) Have fun, and please remember to post stating you are taking part and what you'll be building. You can change what you're building at any time during the build, too.

Here is a list of those who are particpating:

1) Casey

2) Danno (Dan B.)

3) 91blaze (John S.)

4) Haubenschild (Liam)

5) Michigan Madman (Chuck M.)

6) jeffs396 (Jeff S.)

7) Jantrix (Rob M.)

8) gray07 (Darrin)

9) cobraman (Ray K.)

10) Wicky (Simon)

11) W-409 (Niko)

Wow, what a great idea!

This will give me the motivation to get this back on the bench ;)

I sure hope so. I'd :wub: to see that one get finished. Are you officially in, Jeff?

Maybe we can meet up when there is a model show in the area too B)

That could work, too. Or maybe we could contact the museum and have some type of show there?

Darn it, I don't need yet ANOTHER C.B.P. to take up my time! I'm already committed to something like 4 or 5 of them; I've lost track! But the thing is, I have a soft spot in my heart for Studes! I have a few unbuilt kits as well as a couple of models that I built years ago that are fairly screaming to be rebuilt... the right way this time! Hmmm... 1953 Starliner? "Miss Deal"? Avanti? (that would be my wife's choice - she loves Avantis!) Give me a little time to think about this one and I'll get back to you.

(BTW: Depending on when you schedule it and how much vacation time I have available, I'd love to come out to South Bend to see the Studebaker Museum again (even though my ex lives in South Bend... :angry: ). I really enjoyed it when I wa there about 5 years ago. Our son lives just across the border in Michigan so it would be a good time to go visit him as well. Also, our younger daughter is in far southern Indiana, and there are several other car museums I'd like to see in Indiana - The Auburn-Cord-Deusenberg Museum in Auburn andthe Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum come to mind immediately - so we could well end up making a 2-week run out of this thing... See what you started! :lol:)

Edited by CorvairJim

Also... I'm trying to talk a buddy out of a slightly damaged Danbury Mint '37 Studebaker Coupe Express (pickup), and if I'm successful in that regard, I plan to take it apart and rebuild it as a street rod. But I'm not too sure if that'll happen, and the Avanti will be my primary project for this one.