Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th '80 Trans am SE turbo

Nick Winter

I couldn't resist noting the irony that this discussion is in the Big Boyz section.

That is ironic Skip, especially since a select few that have replied obviously have the mentality of three year olds!! B)

Don't let this derail the build Nick, but I think I agree with Harry and Mark, ditch the A/C!

This project has been a fight since I took it out of the box, a sealed kit that I paid a fair price for only to open it and find broken glass, screwed up and mis-manufactured parts, so far this is the worst project I've ever had and I'm done with it, I've had it with this kit.

Nick

Edit: not just the kit, but all the bad luck it brings, it's the "Christine" if you will of model kits, it looks all nice, but it's got a deep sinister soul and derogative. Eventually I may drift back to it, but it'll be a long time from now.

Edited by Nick Winter

The Corner of shame: (AMT '71 Charger = screwed up paint, Revell '67 Corvette = broken windscreen, MPC Turbo Blackbird = screwed up in general)

FILE1014.jpg

Back to the shop of shame.

Nick

Hey Nick, been there and certainly done that....you should see my heap of scrap. Take a break and let it come back to you, works for me. Pulling for you man!!

Well Johnny the glass is the biggest problem it has, the front windsheild is warped and the back is cracked.

The front windshield should work. Use 5 minute epoxy to glue it in along one edge, let cure, then you can use small spring clamps to hold the glass in place while you carefully add some more epoxy to the unglued side. Where you glue first will be determined by how the glass is warped (in what direction it's twisted).

The rear glass should be easy enough to make with clear acetate sheet.

The front windshield should work. Use 5 minute epoxy to glue it in along one edge, let cure, then you can use small spring clamps to hold the glass in place while you carefully add some more epoxy to the unglued side. Where you glue first will be determined by how the glass is warped (in what direction it's twisted).

The rear glass should be easy enough to make with clear acetate sheet.

Not really Harry, the kit glass is molded in a transparent smoke color.

Nick

Not really Harry, the kit glass is molded in a transparent smoke color.

Nick

So what? That's not even accurate anyway, the glass didn't come that way from the factory. Don't let a cracked window stop you from finishing this model when it's so easy to make a replacement.

So what? That's not even accurate anyway, the glass didn't come that way from the factory. Don't let a cracked window stop you from finishing this model when it's so easy to make a replacement.

Harry, I kinda like the smoked glass, besides it's not just the Glass.

Nick

Hey Nick, been there and certainly done that....you should see my heap of scrap. Take a break and let it come back to you, works for me. Pulling for you man!!

Like Jeff said don't let a little boo boo stop you. Take the break and come back too it. i'll be looking in.

• 10 months later...

Yep, be great to see it finished Nick, I had two of these, the first being back in 1982 here in the UK under the Airifix Logo, certainly made my 12th birthday!

Had another one under the original MPC logo a couple of years ago but stupidly sold it on Ebey, nevermind Im sure one day another wil pop up.

I will say the quality of MPC wasnt the greatest back then but as a 12 yr old kid didI really care...Naaahhh, was too excited about having a 1/16 slick bitchin black Trans Am with working front suspension..outta this world back then!

So at theh end of the day its a plastic model kit to enjoy what ever age you are, I think as adults your memory of a said kit was of total excitiment, to find the same one again 20~30 yrs later can be a bit of come down as yr expecting so much more form that fuzzy memory, but they give us great memories and thats whats counts!

So crack open the glue n paint my son & do it !

Cheers Damian

• 6 months later...

Nick, I'd like to offer some encouragement. That 71' can be a nice kit when done.

71ChargerRT2.jpg

Some of the guys here can help you with stripping the paint. I have not been brave enough to do that yet, but if we don't challenge ourselves,

how are we to improve? You do great work, some of it better than myself. I have been doing models since around 1978. The big question for you is....

Who are you building for? It should be "yourself". That is who you have to please. Keep at it, there are a lot of us out here cheering for you.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...