Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin DB4GT in 1/24

Matt Bacon

Looking good Matt, this is really coming along well. I have this kit in the James Bond guise but have decided to use a spare set of Tamiya wire wheels for mine as I personally l think that the ones supplied are a little simplified and the tyres leave a lot to be desired as well. Not wishing to take anything away from your excellent model but I personally would have used the Tamiya wheels and tyres. I will certainly be watching the build on this one as I think you have something unique to your collection.

Thanks, guys!

@bigphoto... Thanks to a fellow automotive modeller I now have a Monogram DB4, but I'm going to build that as a straight DB4. It's a really nice kit, and too good to chop up! With luck, when I've finished, I'll have a DB4, DB4GT, DB5 James Bond "parked" and DB5 James Bond "in action" (using the super rare Airfix kit which cost me peanuts in a charity shop, and so deserves to be built!)

@volvoman... I do have a spare set of Tamiya MkII Jag wires and tyres, which ARE brilliant, but I only have the one set and they are earmarked for my "best efforts" 1/24 E-type coupe, starting from the Heller kit. For that build, I'm still trying to decide whether to use the kit engine, or cross kit with the white metal engine from the Gunze "hi-tech" E-type (and use the Heller plastic engine in that kit)...

bestest,

M.

Thanks, Pat...

tail-lights-L.jpg

The rear lights in place. Tamiya Clear Orange and Red, with Humbrol Metalcote for the silver parts. The close-up is a bit unforgiving, but they look the part in making the DB4 visually different from the DB5 base kit. You can just about see (out of focus) the fuel filler cap. BMF work has started.

headlights-L.jpg

The transparent headlight fairings were just too thick and badly fitting, so these are made from a clear plastic water bottle. I put a piece of Tamiya masking tape over the hole, pressed it inward slightly to dish it, then drew around the outline with a pencil. Then I stuck the tape onto an appropriately "double curved" bit of the neck of the bottle, and cut around the outline, now bulging outward instead. Glued in place with Formula 560 white canopy glue -- the silver "rivets" are still to painted on, but there are only four per light.

bestest,

M.

On the home straight now...

top-on-2-L.jpg

top-on-1-L.jpg

top-on-3-L.jpg

top-on-5-L.jpg

top-on-4-L.jpg

top-on-6-L.jpg

The BMF was more of a pain than I'd have liked -- mine seems to have gone "wrinkly" and it cracks everywhere there's a wrinkle. It must be half a decade old, though, at least, so maybe it doesn't owe me anything. The side windows are acetate sheet, which gives a better view inside. I wanted to make a windscreen from acetate as well, but after several tries I just couldn't make it work.

Just a few external details to add now, and then on to decals. I have to figure out what number plate and race numbers to carry, since it's a bit of a hybrid, rather than being based on any real car I have pictures of... DBA6T is springing to mind at the moment (you have to think of it in number plate font)

bestest,

M