Model Cars Magazine Forum

super detailing .... kit bashing ... do you log book your hours ..

i was a o t r truck machanic ///driver .. by law you have to keep a log book of your hours on the road .. i got in the habit .. i also keep time log of my biulds.. anybody else do it .. you will find your hrs are 2 times what you think they are..

I haven't been making a log book about the building hours, but I could try with some project. I have no idea how long it takes from me to build one. It's hard to say how many years it took, because most of the time build was on the side...

I don't see any point in logging your building hours.

So it takes X amount of hours to build a particular model. So what?

Like others have said, punching the clock is what you do at work. Model building is supposed to take you away from the time clock!

My buddy Steve Perry not only logs all his build hours, but he also takes pictures of his build during it's construction stages. Once the build is thru, he makes a journal to display with the model when he displays them at contests. Steve has won a few trophys at GLS so it does help to some extent. Plus it's really cool to see the model being built up.

i am retired, I don't set an alarm or wear a watch or own a cell-phone, so no keeping logs either.

Ditto on that. I thought I might be the only one left in the world that did not do any of those things. "Grandpa you have to get a cellphone. How can we get in touch with you and grandma when you are out?". Lived without one all these years. Life goes on. Richard

I don't see any point in logging your building hours.

So it takes X amount of hours to build a particular model. So what?

Like others have said, punching the clock is what you do at work. Model building is supposed to take you away from the time clock!

i am retired, I don't set an alarm or wear a watch or own a cell-phone, so no keeping logs either.

I see it this way, it's a hobby, so why would I want to know how long a build takes. I'm like Daniel in a way, not retired from work completely, but I am retired from the road of long haul trucking, and I had enough keeping logs while I drove, I sure as heck ain't bringing that life into my hobby.

Well, except for the log book on the dash of my big rig models, I gotta keep the scale DOT happy!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was a game warden I had to fill out a log for every minute of the day, don't miss that at all! When I was driving truck things got better, only had to fill out a pre-trip inspection report, don't miss that either!

When I do sell the odd build it is better that I am happy with the cash and do not know how it relates to an hourly break-down.

But to each his own. I met a fellow the other day who makes ship models and he logs the entire build in a binder, with his research, construction photos, any changes he made if it started as a kit, the whole ball of wax, actually very impressive.

Over time I've only heard of a few people who build models for others, and part of me thinks it's a crazy idea because your imagination is bound in by what someone else wants. I don't know . . . it might be a great topic for discussion in another thread.

I could easily log the hours spent at the bench, but couldn't tell you exactly how much time I spend actually building, because my time is also spent playing around on the computer, searching for reference material, watching tv/movies, and digging through other kits and parts unrelated to the current project. I also tend to get lost in books and magazines if I happen to pick one up while I'm at the bench.

I did one time just to see and it was 260 real hours of building.

Thats not counting time thinking it through and time spent looking up research.

And it took 230 pieces to build the scratch built part's to get the model done.

13 kit parts not included in the 230 above.

The kit was a 69 Chevelle and I may never do it again.

I work for a large commuter railroad in Chicago...too much paperwork there, also drive their heavy trucks too, so I get log books, safety tests, msds, oh, and plenty of r.r. operations logs...uuugghh!!! none with models!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I keep notes, but I don't log hours, and most of my notes are in my head. I do some research and dig up as much as I can to make my models the best I can make them. The whole idea to me is to make something that looks nice. I don't kill myself doing it, but I try to make my models look like something that reflects the time, whatever it, that I put into them.

On average, I'd say with all related activities, I'll spend 30-40 hours on a model.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 years later...

Ah, waking up an old thread. I think its a good idea to log thoughts, process etc... Especially build process so you can reflect more accurately and perfect your next build more scientifically.

I've a few of those Field Notes note books that I plan on using during my builds.