Model Cars Magazine Forum

What kit has a good Ford 427 SOHC?

Nice job on that. The Jo-Han one looks much better than any of AMT's efforts, but I see they still got the plugs in the wrong place on the passenger side. The covers are not symmetrical on the 1:1

valve_covers_1.jpg

The spark plug location is my biggest beef with the AMT CAMMERS. On some it has the front plug on the left side going directly into the timing chain.

• 11 months later...

boy, you guys are going thru a lot of trouble for a valve cover....... and i like it!! never did know about the covers not being symectrical, now every time i look at them, i will know they are wrong. was always satified with them, till now. thanks for the info.

btw - i think there is a 69 torino kit that has a nascar version of this motor.

If you can find it the Polar Lights Gas Rhonda Mustang funny car has a good set of valve covers for the cammer. As a bonus you also get a 426 hemi motor in that kit too.

If you want a good valve cover and are not concerned with the Ford engraving try the "street freak" Mustang and Pinto's. They look good on street rods.

• 10 months later...

This has been covered before: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52024

For a 427 Cammer I'd go with Ross Gibson's resin engine. The Blue Oval scripts on the cam cover in mine is very faint, but you can always scribe it out to represent the early version with straight ribs.

For kit based Cammer, the AMT one is off. The one from Johan looks nice, but will need work on the spark plug locations.

I'm sorry but,the Silhouette doesn't have a 427 SOHC motor.

It's definitely a 427, but maybe not an S.O.H.C. As I indicated in my post, I was going from memory.

See the comments from one of the forum's "elder statesmen", Ed Shaver, about the Silhouette and its engine:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=17377

Anyway, sounds like there are some much, much better options. :-)

It's definitely a 427, but maybe not an S.O.H.C. As I indicated in my post, I was going from memory.

See the comments from one of the forum's "elder statesmen", Ed Shaver, about the Silhouette and its engine:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=17377

Anyway, sounds like there are some much, much better options. :-)

I think Ed was wrong wnen he said AMT put the Ford motor in the Silhouette.

Bill Cushenberry put the Ford motor in the Silhouette when it was included in the Ford Custom Car Caravan.

Check out www.cartechbooks.com

• 5 years later...