Model Cars Magazine Forum

KW W900 and flatbed trailer [first builds]

well, I did it, I managed to complete my first truck and trailer after a loooong hiatus from building. pic's are from my cell phone, but man was I pleased with the way it looked out in the sun! sure, it's not perfect, and I see about 6 million flaws in it, BUT, as it's my first go at it, I am pleased with the results. so without further blabbing from me, here ya go...

photo_zps744e3056.jpg

photo_zps52f420e3.jpg

photo_zpsa23449f5.jpg

photo_zps4bc3dd30.jpg

photo_zps05c313a8.jpg

photo_zpsd3eecba8.jpg

photo_zps243c73d4.jpg

photo_zps51c52f5c.jpg

photo_zps06e188fc.jpg

photo_zps933d3e05.jpg

Edited by tbill

Nice rig glad to see you back building. What's next.

next up is a mack r model and peerless log trailer. I learned a lot on this first build, so with luck the next one should be a little better.

and thanks for all the kind words, was a fun build [other than the paint stripping portion, haha]

Yeah Tom, nice job! If you see six million flaws in it, that's 5,999,997 more than I see! :lol: The only ones I see are the snap attachment points on the battery boxes and in the rear of the sleeper that are common to this and the sister Pete 359 kit, some seams and sprue attachment points that are hard to hide without a complete rechroming or repainting with Alclad, and still a little hint of the seams in the tires, but that still doesn't mean this looks like one fine build!

highway, i hear ya man, i had thought of spraying some of the paint i used into a dish/bowl so i could touch up the cab attachment points, and i shoulda touched up the battery box points with something. never even thought of the tires.......

i guess i was so excited to be at the finishline on this, i overlooked a few more things. as i said, i see a ton of stuff i could do better, and that's ok, now i have a base line to work off of.

thanks for all the comments folks, i aspire to be as good a builder as many of you are now, this is the first step.....

highway, i hear ya man, i had thought of spraying some of the paint i used into a dish/bowl so i could touch up the cab attachment points, and i shoulda touched up the battery box points with something. never even thought of the tires.......

i guess i was so excited to be at the finishline on this, i overlooked a few more things. as i said, i see a ton of stuff i could do better, and that's ok, now i have a base line to work off of.

thanks for all the comments folks, i aspire to be as good a builder as many of you are now, this is the first step.....

It's still one fine piece Tom!

I'll give you a little tip for the place where the interior snaps into the cab, just in case you have any more of these in your stash or the Pete 359. I'll usually mask the inside of the windows and snap the interiors into the truck when I paint the outside, then let completely dry, then remove the interior and finish it. That way those pesky snap points are the same color as the cab, and though there will still be a little seam around them, at least they are the same color and finished the same as the rest of the cab.

The Pete at least has smaller points and trim around the points on the outside, so I use a little different technique with them. I will put bare metal foil on the tabs and paint the BMF red and BMF the trim on the cab. Instant red work lights!! The same idea for the battery boxes too, a little BMF on the tabs and it hides the snap tabs.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Don. painting the cab and hood was an experience, got to have my first go at paint stripping, haha. it was a good kit to get back into the swing of things.

as you can see, the first paint job had to go

photo_zpsf50522a8.jpg

Edited by tbill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...