Model Cars Magazine Forum

Out of The Box In Shoebox In-Work Model Storage

Skip

post-5775-0-60271000-1356065029_thumb.jppost-5775-0-07543900-1356065048_thumb.jp

This isn't really a new concept, I searched through the Tip, Tricks and Tutorials section on Storage of opened kits while in work and found nothing but a few hints at this. As demonstrated with the AMT '40 Ford Coupe seen in primer.

After I open a kit that I am going to start work on I place the contents of the original box into a Stearlite plastic shoebox, most kits the box and all fits into it. Usually though I just seperate the kit and box and place it into the clear shoe box. Once you have the body work done and topcoated it then gets a shoebox of its own, which I normally line the bottom with a lint free cloth to keep it from sliding around on the plastic. I try to keep the sub-assemblies and extra parts in zip lock bags inside the shoebox, adds an extra layer of protection.

Advantages that I've found with this method of storage, visability you know right away what's in that box and what stage it is in. They stack together and don't slide around like model boxes do. Stack on a shelf and stay put. There are no corners that allow small parts to "hide" out of sight. The lids stay on. You can store the kit, paint and "extra" detailing parts in the box. They look organized. ...

Edited by Skip

I have found the shoeboxes at Home Depot, Lowes, Wally World, Fred Meyer, K-Mart. Look for them with the storage containers and closet organizer stuff. Usually after the first of the year you can find them on sale for 5 or 6 for $5 or less.

I really find them really useful for projects that you are either kitbashing or gathering parts from multiple sources like ebay or a resin caster, you can keep track of what you need to get the model going. I prefer to have all the parts together before I start building a kitbashed model.

I love this tip too! As I can't seem to build anything box stock, I usually quickly run out of room in the kit box. I began using the plastic shoe boxes to contain all parts, reference photos, etc. This remedied the bent photos, lost small parts and such. I also use them when disassembling die-cast. All parts, sub assemblies and screws are kept in Ziplock bags, both to cushion and contain the contents. I have now taken to buying the Sterilite containers that have locking tabs to keep the contents from falling out if the container gets jostled.

Not only do I store kits I'm working on in them, I also have boxes for complete engines in zip-bags, aftermarket wire, photo-etched/metal/resin detail parts, etc... Easier to grab the box and have all my detail sets right there. Also, they are very handy for rebuilders too. I have two of the flat, under-the-bed ones as well, one is full of bagged rebuilders and the second is my "Junkyard".

For paint stripping I like the Glad brand containers with a lid the larger sizes are just a little wider than a 1/25 scale body and just deep enough to cover. Both the Glad and shoe boxes are cheap enough to strip paint in, just matters how much purple you want to use to make a pond.

Just bought another dozen of the shoe boxes for $10 they should drop in price a little more during the January White Sales.