Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack question

Hallo guys

I tried to find some information about some special Mack trucks; I call them the DMs with the short steel nose. I am not sure what the correct type is.

This is the one I mean:

20.jpg

19.jpg

The pics are not perfect but hope the experts know what I am talking about. I want to know the type the normal size of the tires, the engine types which were offered and the length of the hood. Is the BBC the same with a DM 600? Were they used as tractors in the logging industry? I tried to find more information on that little blue one but nothing on the internet.

Thanks for your help and efforts.

So long

Arnd

Edited by Arnd

The blue and red one belongs to Pelletier logging out of Maine I believe. They used to have a show called American Loggers 4-5 years ago on Discovery I think. I don't know anything about the truck itself but I do know that it is mounted on the roof of a family run restaurant. (Hence the weird rooftop pic). That may give you a start on some info. Hope it helped a little.

Arnd,this truck is indeed a Mack DM-600 with the optional "severe service steel butterfly hood,BBC is the same as the fiberglass hood (like the MPC kit) optional engines were the Mack END-673,ENDT 673,Cummins NTC 290,Caterpillar 3176 and 3176-T,All Mack tranmissions were available in this chassis and most vendor transmissions Fuller,Eaton,Allison etc.,most popular being the Mack TR series- 5 speed and 6 speeds. Most common aplications of this chassis were dump trucks/snow plows,oil trucks,wreckers and tractors. Many of which are still in service to this day in New York City and surrounding areas. The DM's "big brother" DM-800 was more commonly seen in heavy duty and logging operations. Hope this is of some help,pleses feel free to contact me for anymore specific information concerning anything Mack,would be glad to help!.........................................Mark

Edited by Mackvision

Yeah, the one I saw could have been copied, but the hood wasn't all one piece and it had white metal inserts for the MACK on the front grill

Ive built one from cutting down a DM800, so its possible that they did that and cast it. I have a mtfaco casting( pre-aitm) and its pretty thick. Ive bought the R-model steel hoods from at least 4 different casters. Who knows, maybe theyre all ripping each other off. The one I got from Aitm is different from the others tho.

Hallo all

First of all thanks a lot for your answers. Hey Mark I will come back to your offer for sure. There will be a lot of questions and details which will come up with this build. Just wait until my parts are here and I can start.

I saw a hood conversion kit by Sourcraut and it looks quite well. The one at AITM is one piece not the best one for a lot of details in my opinion.

I will start with a Mack DM800 already started kit and will change it into a short nose tractor building it up to a tractor for pulling 40ft log trailers. Well this is the idea behind this model.

I tried to find some more pics from the small Pelletier’s truck but no luck on this, only some DM800 and Western Stars. I will try heavy equipment forum and Hank’s truck pictures perhaps I find something.

I hope my parts arrive tomorrow or on Sunday to start it.

So long

Arnd

Ive built one from cutting down a DM800, so its possible that they did that and cast it. I have a mtfaco casting( pre-aitm) and its pretty thick. Ive bought the R-model steel hoods from at least 4 different casters. Who knows, maybe theyre all ripping each other off. The one I got from Aitm is different from the others tho.

Yeah, I'm not doubting you for a minute Terry, it just didn't look thick enough to be from AITM, but whoever cast it probably did copy from AITM because they've been casting forever right? Anyways, love the subject matter and I cant wait to see what you come up with Arnd!