Model Cars Magazine Forum

Okay Harry... I believe ya!:lol: I had always read that it was the first, but I bow to your knowledge. Thanks for the information!:lol:

No reason to bow to my knowledge... I looked it up! :lol:

(I did remember the part about Titanic using "CQD," though...)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Nice job you did there. I've got the old Revell kit my uncle gave me years ago as a birthday present, I take it out now and then to drill out port holes, but that is as far as I've gone with it.

I was watching a show about a crew diving the wreck of the Britanic one of the Titanics sister ships that served as a hospital ship during WW1. It struck a mine and sank in 1916. They went over the sinking and mentioned that one of the nurses on board that survived the sinking had also been onboard the Titanic when it sank. After that I think I'd find a nice job far from any body of water if I had been her. :blink:

There was a copy of Futility in Titanic's library when she sank... wonder if it was a 'bad juju' kind of thing!

Very nice job on the model! I've wanted to use this kit to build the Olympic as a hospital ship, and the ill-fated third sister, Britannic (which was originally to be named 'Gigantic'.)

Another fun Titanic fact- most of the newsreel footage you have seen of the 'Titanic' is actually the Olympic. If you look closely, they blured out the names of the tugboats seen assisting it from its slip.

In their quest for transatlantic records, the biggest ships, and the most passengers, White Star sorta, ahem, "pushed the envelope". That's my opinion, but the facts seem to validate it.

G

From everything I've read about Titanic, they may have "pushed the envelope," but they stayed within the law.

For example, I read somewhere that they used lower quality rivets for the hull instead of the best quality available. They used rivets made with #3 iron ("Best") instead of #4 ("Best Best"). It was apparently a cost-cutting move, but the grade of metal in the rivets was within the acceptable range. The problem was that the iron the rivets were made of had a lot of impurities in it, which made them very brittle, especially when cold (as in the nearly freezing temperature of the North Atlantic)... so when Titanic hit the iceberg, too many rivet heads snapped off and made a bad situation that much worse.

Same with the lifeboats. According to the laws in force at the time, Titanic actually had more lifeboat capacity than the law required (even though the lifeboat capacity was nowhere near enough to accommodate every person on board, but the laws at the time didn't require that).

Oh they were in compliance allright.

They just didn't go that "extra step" above minimum, and in my opinion, it bit them where the sun don't shine...................

;)

G

As far as the lifeboat capacity, they actually did more than what the law required.

I've also read that they used inferior steel for the hull-too many impurities and too brittle, too prone to cracking. But they've done chemical analysis of the hull and found that the steel was comparable to what was used by other shipbuilders of the day. But the "state of the art" in steelmaking back then was not as advanced as it is today. Steel from those days was more brittle than the stuff we have today. It wasn't until the '40s that "modern" steel was perfected. So with the brittle hull and the brittle rivets, Titanic didn't measure up very well to an iceberg.

And if only she'd rammed the iceberg head-on. At least the theory is only the first two compartments would have flooded had it unfolded like that. People would have died, and the bow would have been caved in, but it's likely she'd have made it to New York. Either way, not the greatest maiden voyage.

Great looking model !!!, My 7 year old son is a HUGE Titanic nut, and I've been wanting to do something like this for him for some time, just not sure about ships and the scales, dont want to end up over my head (no pun intended) or with something not very appealing. But on the note of facts : Has anyone read or watched the RMS Olympic/ RMS TItanic theroy ??? Pretty interesting and sad at the same time.

To be honest no I didnt. He came home from school ( at age 5) and was telling me about this boat thats at the bottom of the ocean and has been for almost 100 years. Ticanik as he called it, I then opened the can of worms and let him watch the movie. It must be the massive size that has his attention so well. But non the less he diggs it, and its fun to find books for him/ with him, we are at about 12 or so now. I told him that the IMAX was going to run the movie in 3D..totaly made his day... :rolleyes: Its his doing thats actualy gotten me into it :lol:

• 3 weeks later...