Model Cars Magazine Forum

REMOVING GLUE FROM OLDER BUILD

I'm looking for some suggestions regarding the dis-assembly, and the removal of glue from probably a 40 year old build. I want to restore a build that is, in some areas, falling apart from the drying of the old blue. Probably Testors from a tube. Some of the pieces are still adhered pretty well. Is there a way to soften this old glue so the parts can be removed without damaging the surrounding areas? Soaking the model in vinagar maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark

I don't think anything will soften the glue - it works by softening the plastic and melting two plastic parts together. I have had luck with a combination of the "freezer" method and just slowly picking parts apart. A lot of painted and chrome joints should pop apart (most of my old kits don't have parts scraped).

The freezer method simply involves getting the model wet, put it in a tub or bag, and place it in the freezer for a few hours. The water expansion will break parts loose.

I saw this tip on another site . It's Model Master Acryl Dried Paint Solvent made for removing the really " Hot " paint from R/C Lexan bodies . It suppossedly wil soften dried glue in a few minutes , however it will destroy the plastic if left on too long so use it sparingly ! I found some at Tower Hobbies for less than $6 bucks but haven't recieved it yet .

Capture2-3.jpg

Capture3.jpg