Model Cars Magazine Forum

PETTY 1/16 Charger the complete build

shafer

The first step I always take is the wheels, since this kit has chrome wheels I will be making a change. Everyone is going to build this with chrome however every 73 i see has blue except for the daytona car , so i choose to be different.

DSCF4209_zpsfab323f5.jpg

time to soak in clorox

DSCF4210_zpsb1d900e6.jpg

DSCF4212_zps6ed3a31b.jpg

cut out the centers and sand the treads

DSCF4214_zpsf696b023.jpg

time to paint good year

DSCF4217_zps09b1d1ed.jpg

after adding wheel weights detailing lugnuts and painting on some markers such as LR, LF these are the finished tires

DSCF4218_zps3953455b.jpg

step 2 grill

I really do not like the grill inserts for this kit but i can make them work.The instructions say paint them black , don't do that unless you are doing a 1977 paint scheme.

I started by mixing 1 drop of black with 3 drops of argent silver, this made a nice gray color that was not too dark or light, well see for yourself

DSCF4219_zpse32d6513.jpg

DSCF4220_zps8e829e6c.jpg

DSCF4221_zps8ac215d8.jpg

Paint Prep

I always paint my bodies before starting the actual build up- I do this because it gives the body plenty of time to cure before trying to rush it over a complete chasis

I am very happy with the color of this mold so there will be no need to repaint the petty blue unless you just want to, once the clear coat goes on it will look like fresh paint.

first thing is to work on the flashing , this kit has lots of excess flash , I used a hobbie knife to shave of big access and wet sanded the rest

DSCF4224_zps43cfcff8.jpg

DSCF4223_zps35add8ad.jpg

The next step is wet sanding - for this i used 600 grit and palmaloive dish detergent. I wet sand the whole car even though I am not repainting the blue, this will allow All paints and clear ro bite. Use dish deterent while sanding, I have found that round 2 kits have lots of oils on their bodys which can play fisheye havock when paint is applied

DSCF4226_zps1bcfdd46.jpg

DSCF4228_zpsd0a38dc7.jpgDSCF4228_zpsd0a38dc7.jpgmasking

I cut my maskiing tape in strips along the edges of the roll, the thinner strips allow me to make crucial bends needed to create this paint scheme, next use wader tape to finish mask up of body. I used parchment /wax paper to cover the inside.

DSCF4228_zpsd0a38dc7.jpg

DSCF4229_zps6bf63df9.jpg

DSCF4230_zps0bf14a46.jpg

DSCF4227_zpsaa2acec3.jpg

DSCF4232_zps51ba9882.jpg

using the floresant orange required for this kit means that the under coat must be flat white. I achieve this by layering several thin coats, trying to lay the flat down heavy will cause cracking issues when you apply the orange

DSCF4233_zpscddffcf1.jpg

DSCF4234_zpsc22625fb.jpg

24 hours later - lightly wetsand and then spray the orange

DSCF4238_zpsa39addaa.jpg

DSCF4237_zpsa6a4d026.jpg

this is what I had the next day

DSCF4239_zps0710a944.jpg

Before the decals go on i will wetsand the orange very carefully for a smooth finish

What clear works best on the bare plastic? I never cared much for the blue and orange/red paint scheme, i'm thinking of leaving my the solid blue whenever i get to it.

Believe it or not I have always used midwax high gloss polyurathane it is about $8 per can but leave the best shine and holds up well to age. FYI for your build - This is a great kit no matter what color you paint it. I don't know if you are aware or not Petty never had an all blue charger, that was the roadrunner. Same body style , just different grille bumpers and tail section.

I am digging this build already, but what happen around the corners at the rear side windows with the paint? I notice the same on the front fenders.. or am I just seeing things? (I am tired right now) but good job on the build so far, I'll be watching this project of yours.

not to fear , just some overspray wait til you see the fix , besides if i make it too perfect it will look storebought

It has been kinda icy around here, currently I am continuing to work on the body - it is too cold to paint parts for roll cage assembly. pictures below are the kit with 2 more coats of clear for a final shine, you will notice I added some of the chrome parts, spoiler, and painted the window trim. I raided my wifes cross stich stash to make cables for the hood/trunk pins and fuel cap. After which a smal black line was painted to simulate the tape keeping the pins in place. Around the rear quarter window , I brushed it some aluminum silver to make the look of the bare metal that is usually on this car.

DSCF4246_zps382c3838.jpg

DSCF4252_zpse11abaf4.jpg

DSCF4260_zps88d5e7ab.jpg

DSCF4261_zpsf923bf91.jpg

DSCF4263_zps25c7cc1c.jpg

DSCF4265_zps36baa255.jpg

DSCF4266_zpscb12f317.jpg

DSCF4270_zps3792043e.jpg

DSCF4269_zps8be228bd.jpg

today- windows and paint

windows have been glued in using ordinary elmers school craft glue - this keeps them from hazing

all of my parts to be painted have been washed and are set out ready to paint, I will spray paint them carfully while leaving them on the sprues. I just pick out the parts i want to paint. this ahs taken many years of practice but some how i get the color on the part i want w/o having to paint all of the other items the same color, i do this w/o tape. contrary to the instructions the engine should not be orange - this is a dodge thing , petty cars had petty blue engines so my engine is blue. my parts are painted based on what colors i have in my arsennal , not according to the instructions.

DSCF4273_zpsebef7d64.jpg

DSCF4271_zpsf53026ef.jpg

DSCF4272_zpsc4e924cf.jpg

DSCF4274_zps70e609df.jpg

DSCF4276_zpsc9d88ed1.jpg

DSCF4275_zps3dc883b7.jpg

Nice Job so I'm looking forward to picking mine up Saturday. . I'm a bit disapoited it wasn't a clear body. Maybe I get creative and get a second cit and break out the dremel tool. and create a cutaway thanks for sharing Maybe you mentioned it maybe not but but cou you you elaborate on paints you you used

Vince