Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

This AMT Boss Nova just arrived yesterday. It's unstarted otherwise, but body has been painted with red that has very heavy Metal Flake in it. It looks good but unfortunately I have to strip the paint as I'll be converting this into a normal street car.

Where are you finding all these oldies over here in the UK Christian ?, I quite often see some very tempting ones from the US but the postage charges some people quote are outrageous.

I buy them in the US and have them sent to my sister, who is living over there. Postage inside the USA is often free.
She then sends them on to me for the actual fee she pays, without padding her Ebay sales results by overcharging for postage.
She also marks the parcels as gifts, so no customs charges.

I buy them in the US and have them sent to my sister, who is living over there. Postage inside the USA is often free.
She then sends them on to me for the actual fee she pays, without padding her Ebay sales results by overcharging for postage.

That makes pefect sense, a lot easier to send over one parcel of several things

Picked up two of these , one to stash and one to play with. 1/64 1962 Dodge pick up and Shasta Airflyte

_351_zps9nb4lblx.jpg

Greenlight-Collectibles-1_64-Scale-Hitch

Got the same one a week or two ago. Also picked up their '67 Chevy Impala 4-door hardtop with a Bambi Airstream. A '67 Ford Bronco with a general enclosed cargo trailer. And a present generation Dodge crew cab pickup, with an enclosed car hauler, decorated with the Dodge Rumble Bee and Hellcat logos.

Love those Hitch & Tow die casts .

I picked up one of the '67 Impalas with a Bambi Airstream last year , passed on the '67 Bronco because I already had a Johnny Lightning first gen Bronco on the shelf .

Turned the white walls around on the pick up and think it looks better with black walls then stripped the trailer to repaint to match our Shasta re-issue

There's no such thing as free postage in the U.S...ever...to anywhere...unless you buy yourself a little Jeep, paint an Eagle on the side and go pickup the parcel yourself.  People might offer Free Shipping, but they're just plowing the $6-14 charge into the actual item price.

There are a number of Japan & H.K. based eBay retailers that will offer "Free Shipping" when sending kits to the U.S. because we don't have Customs/Import Duties on Model Kits here, but if you really know the prices of the kits, you know you're paying $10 or so too much for the kit itself.  Although you might shave a buck or two off the price of buying the kit and paying the S&H charges separately when they combine it into the item's price on a BiN "auction".

But much like when your sister bundles things together, buying in bulk anywhere makes the over shipping charge go down.  Especially since the USPS charges by an odd weight & volume system where sometimes more items in the same size box can ride for the same price as shipping one item.  The costs of shipping things to Europe has gone up over 40% compared to last year.  There's more than a few eBayers out there that overcharge for shipping, but most people have simply adjusted to the increased costs being passed along by the Postal Service.

Hello, my name is ChrisBcritter and I'm a Continental-holic.

61cs1a.thumb.jpg.d01027d881ababd8e0e8fd9

61cs2a.thumb.jpg.015a0b8e58d31502f47c974

61cs3a.thumb.jpg.38203f8a346512186bfb180

Time to practice my molding and casting for the hood ornament, wheelcovers and rear grille, and do some whittling to make the B-pillars AMT forgot to add that year.

Cool '61. Did the AMT kit not come with the correct center "B" pillar? Or is that something that somebody modified on this particular kit? I can see AMT making the promo and/or the kit of the '61 without this pillar. They would have gotten to see the '61 Lincoln late in its development stages. And in some of the early promotional/press photos of the car, they did show it as a true 4-door hardtop, without the "B" pillar. AMT might have been under the impression that the real cars were going to be offered a hardtop. Instead of, or along side of a sedan model too. And did their model this way for that reason.

Cool '61. Did the AMT kit not come with the correct center "B" pillar? Or is that something that somebody modified on this particular kit? I can see AMT making the promo and/or the kit of the '61 without this pillar. They would have gotten to see the '61 Lincoln late in its development stages. And in some of the early promotional/press photos of the car, they did show it as a true 4-door hardtop, without the "B" pillar. AMT might have been under the impression that the real cars were going to be offered a hardtop. Instead of, or along side of a sedan model too. And did their model this way for that reason.

That's probably how the AMT '61 Continental came to be as you have it.  Bear in mind, those AMT "Annual" 3in1 Customizing kits were spun off of promotional model cars that the company had to have ready at, or within a week or two after new car introduction time.  That meant their working with pictures of the clay mockups, such basic loft drawings as the automakers' styling departments could let them have, along with pictures of pre-production sample cars built well before the actual car went onto the assembly lines.  More than likely, such information became available no sooner than say, 10-12 months ahead of the actual production models being available in dealer showrooms, as it takes, AT A MINIMUM, that long a lead time to develop a model car to production.

Art

There's more than a few eBayers out there that overcharge for shipping, but most people have simply adjusted to the increased costs being passed along by the Postal Service.

There is a big uproar in the eBay seller community that the eBay calculated shipping quotes that appear in auctions are grossly inflated.  There's something wrong with their calculator and sellers complain that it's costing them money.  Note in auctions you'll see disclaimers like "We charge actual shipping and will refund you the difference".  I've gotten rebates from sellers via Paypal as well as dollar bills stuck in the order.

So don't always blame the sellers. Just one of the many issues in the eBay software.

That's probably how the AMT '61 Continental came to be as you have it.  Bear in mind, those AMT "Annual" 3in1 Customizing kits were spun off of promotional model cars that the company had to have ready at, or within a week or two after new car introduction time.  That meant their working with pictures of the clay mockups, such basic loft drawings as the automakers' styling departments could let them have, along with pictures of pre-production sample cars built well before the actual car went onto the assembly lines.  More than likely, such information became available no sooner than say, 10-12 months ahead of the actual production models being available in dealer showrooms, as it takes, AT A MINIMUM, that long a lead time to develop a model car to production.

Art

I have a '67 Thunderbird promo with these top of fender turn signal pods (they look like little chrome blades sticking out of thr front fender edges), similar to what was seen on the '66 Tunderbird. I've also seen pictures of early, real, I assume prototype, '67 Thunderbirds with these pods. But I've never seen one in real life or photos of '67 that hit the street with these pods. Some, if not all, of the AMT '67 promos have these blades/pods. The '67 - '69 AMT kits all came with the pods on the chrome tree. But, no holes in the front fenders for them. And no mention of what they were for in the instruction sheets.

Ive seen early photos of real '61 Continentals without "B" pillars. I wonder if Ford originally planned on releasing this car in both a sedan and hardtop version? The hardtop being scraped in the 11th hour, after AMT had committed to that body style for their models of the car?

My built '61 annual doesn't have the b-pillar, not sure if the builder removed it or if it was never there.

There's no such thing as free postage in the U.S...ever...to anywhere...unless you buy yourself a little Jeep, paint an Eagle on the side and go pickup the parcel yourself.  People might offer Free Shipping, but they're just plowing the $6-14 charge into the actual item price.

There are a number of Japan & H.K. based eBay retailers that will offer "Free Shipping" when sending kits to the U.S. because we don't have Customs/Import Duties on Model Kits here, but if you really know the prices of the kits, you know you're paying $10 or so too much for the kit itself.  Although you might shave a buck or two off the price of buying the kit and paying the S&H charges separately when they combine it into the item's price on a BiN "auction".

But much like when your sister bundles things together, buying in bulk anywhere makes the over shipping charge go down.  Especially since the USPS charges by an odd weight & volume system where sometimes more items in the same size box can ride for the same price as shipping one item.  The costs of shipping things to Europe has gone up over 40% compared to last year.  There's more than a few eBayers out there that overcharge for shipping, but most people have simply adjusted to the increased costs being passed along by the Postal Service.

I think even the daftest dimwit knows what I mean with free postage, thank you.
Ebayers padding their sales by overcharging on international postage is sadly common practice.
Berlieve it or not, I am able to navigate the USPS website to find out the actual tariff, plus I know what my sister pays.

Had I asked the seller of the '62 Galaxie to send it to me, I would have paid for domestic postage (wrapped up in the price)
plus $26 international postage, according to his quote. The actual international postage was $11.80.

Edited by Junkman

Not to throw fuel into the fire.

But as a former Ebay seller . Theres always the buyer who claims they never got said item ( be them stateside or international makes them no difference ,,, trust me it happens  )

BTW,

I just ckd the USPS website. its $25.75 to mail a 2 lb pkg to the UK  and thats keeping it under a 12" size box and 1st class international

Edited by gtx6970

Toy/Train show in town again today. Seems I always find SOMETHING there to take home, even if the place today was full of Star Wars nerds. Today I got:

* Franklin Mint '68 Corvette 427, like new, $25

* Diecast 1/25 scale '32 Ford panel truck/sedan delivery bank, $5. A wheel/tire change should nicely "rodify" the thing. Should be a fun and EASY project.

* 1960 Corvair promo, red. The body has some slight warpage issues but it's not as bad as most I've seen. I have no interest in this car but at the price asked, I figured it would be good "swap fodder." SOMEBODY, somewhere, is looking for one of these for a project.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...