Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reference photos needed!

I have this idea to build a version of the Big T as a low budget, "built in the backyard" type early rail...maybe something circa 1960 or so. I plan to extend the wheelbase, maybe move the bodyshell back, add a roll cage, central drivers seat, etc. What I'm after is a bare-bones, unsponsored car...something that literally would have been built by a guy and his buddies in their garage for as little cash as possible, and raced on the weekends. A car somewhat like the original "Mooneyes" dragster, but on a much cheaper and much more amateur level.

So far all I've managed to find online are a couple of fuzzy photos of a car similar to what I envision. If anyone out there knows what I'm talking about, or has a good reference source, a site where I can get photos, or any other help, I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

A friend recomended this book to me a couple of years ago , and I've used it as inspiration for at least a dozen models . I bought two used copies online at borders and have since given one away . I guard this copy here with my life ...... Really , if you like drag racing and hot rodding , in pictures , from the beginning , this book is a must have !

" DRY LAKES AND DRAG STRIPS "

" the american hot rod "

Written by Dean Batchelor

Pub / Motorbooks Classics

I would imagine this book is still available online for short money .

take care and see you around the clubhouse ,

Steve D.

hi harry. if i read this right, you might be interested in don garlits first dragster. it was kind of a long wheelbase t thingie with a flathead in it. i believe it was on model "a" rails too. the frame was black and the body? was yellow. if i find a pict i'll post it. also the old #25 chrisman dragster was something like what your describing but not a t body. more like a dry lakes modified. i don't remember seeing any model of what your going to build. this frame might be something you could use.put a t body only on it and it would look cool.

IMG_0004-3.jpg

the bottom pict is kind of what i think you mean except for the two engines.

IMG_0003-3.jpg

i don't think this is what you are talking about.

IMG_0005-3.jpg

Thanks for all your input, guys!

I'm checking into the various sources to see what I'll find. You guys have definitely given me some good suggestions.

BTW, here's a picture (a very bad picture) of what I'm talking about...something pretty much along these lines. Definitely a "home-made" car, from the early days of drag racing.

1.jpg

I have this idea to build a version of the Big T as a low budget, "built in the backyard" type early rail...maybe something circa 1960 or so. I plan to extend the wheelbase, maybe move the bodyshell back, add a roll cage, central drivers seat, etc. What I'm after is a bare-bones, unsponsored car...something that literally would have been built by a guy and his buddies in their garage for as little cash as possible, and raced on the weekends. A car somewhat like the original "Mooneyes" dragster, but on a much cheaper and much more amateur level.

So far all I've managed to find online are a couple of fuzzy photos of a car similar to what I envision. If anyone out there knows what I'm talking about, or has a good reference source, a site where I can get photos, or any other help, I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thanks

scott17.jpg

scott18.jpg

heres pics Paul

Thanks for all your help, guys...you're making this project a lot easier!

Steve, I bought the book you recommended today. Got a used one (says it's "like new") on amazon for $8! I should be getting it in a few days.

Meanwhile I'll be scoping out Hobby Lobby's website for that 40% off coupon they put up every so often...then it's time to snag another Big T and get to work! And the best part is...I don't have to worry about a perfect paint job!!!