Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 3.8 RSR.....slammed

krazyglu

I finished this up last week, it is the Fujimi Porsche 911 RSR. I used model master steel metalizer with a sealer for a satin silver look. I painted the interior black chrome trim and the seat flat red. The belt's are colored paper strip's and hardware made out of styrene. The steering wheel is from the part's box with styrene steering hub and I made a custom racing shifter. The wheel's are modified Model Scientist BBS center's in Pegagus sleeve's, I gave them a staggerd look and used model master metalizer's/tamiya acrylic's for paint. I went with correct German plate's good month's April-October and also added tow strap's front/rear. The insane amount of camber may seem stupid to most of you ,but I love the slammed down look and how the wheel's flow with the fender's right down to the ground. Thank's for looking

Picture337_zpsc3405f76.jpg

Picture339_zps821fe283.jpg

Picture341_zpsac16874a.jpg

Picture313_zps97558974.jpg

Picture303_zps9e82eff3.jpg

Cool. I like the finish. Nice clean construction too.

I was at a dealership the other day and saw a car with a matte finish - it also has a list of hinges you couldn't do - like take it to a car wash, rub the paint too hard, etc. - so, cool look but more difficult to maintain than a shiny coat.

It looks great and I like your flat silver finish. The only thing about the camber is that, looks aside, as a lover/ owner/ builder of 911 derived Porsches, that suspension setup in 1:1 would make one of the most responsive cars on the planet into an evil handling pig.

Ain't that the truth!

It looks great and I like your flat silver finish. The only thing about the camber is that, looks aside, as a lover/ owner/ builder of 911 derived Porsches, that suspension setup in 1:1 would make one of the most responsive cars on the planet into an evil handling pig.

Ain't that the truth!

I don't understand your logic here folks. Anytime you apply negative camber into a suspension its gonna improve the grip and make it more responsive.

Haha oh boy this is the most popular build to date for me, thank's for all the comment's everyone. I understand the extreme camber look is left much to be desired by many of you, that's no big deal we all have thing's we like and don't. I also realize that a factory 911 would handle so much better than the car I modeled....believe or not I am not to worried about that haha. The amount of grip lost due to contact patches on the tire's, the extreme lowering....the list goes on and on why it would handle like a pig ,but I built a race car 911 that I think look's cool and really there is no logic to it. Thank's for the intrest and comment's again guy's.

I don't understand your logic here folks. Anytime you apply negative camber into a suspension its gonna improve the grip and make it more responsive.

From a vehicle dynamics, engineering standpoint, the object of ANY suspension is to maintain MAXIMUM contact of the available tread with the ground. ZERO camber (the angle the tread makes with the road surface) is what REAL racing suspension tries to maintain during cornering, and ALL suspension systems are compromises. Some do a better job than others of achieving maximum contact-patch under all conditions. BUT...extreme negative camber like this forces the inside edges of the tires, only, into contact with the ground, rather than the full available contact patch, as the builder of the model is aware. More contact patch=more traction=higher cornering speeds. The weird contact-patch changes as this car leans into a turn would also have it darting all over the road on anything other than a glass-smooth track.

The Porsche 911, because of its particular suspension geometry, will benefit from A LITTLE extra negative camber when the car is sitting level, because it becomes ZERO camber when the car leans a LITTLE (as it would with hard, racing suspension), thus maximizing contact-patch and grip during cornering.

yeah, no, there is a point of dimishing returns, and this is well past that point.

From a vehicle dynamics, engineering standpoint, the object of ANY suspension is to maintain MAXIMUM contact of the available tread with the ground. ZERO camber (the angle the tread makes with the road surface) is what REAL racing suspension tries to maintain during cornering, and ALL suspension systems are compromises. Some do a better job than others of achieving maximum contact-patch under all conditions. BUT...extreme negative camber like this forces the inside edges of the tires, only, into contact with the ground, rather than the full available contact patch, as the builder of the model is aware. More contact patch=more traction=higher cornering speeds. The weird contact-patch changes as this car leans into a turn would also have it darting all over the road on anything other than a glass-smooth track.

The Porsche 911, because of its particular suspension geometry, will benefit from A LITTLE extra negative camber when the car is sitting level, because it becomes ZERO camber when the car leans a LITTLE (as it would with hard, racing suspension), thus maximizing contact-patch and grip during cornering.

exactly, and its somewhere around 3 degrees. 1.5 for the street on a 911...

And if you get right down to it thats not even a 911.... its a 964, which doesnt even technically exsist as a RSR: Carrera RS, RS America, NGT,

Edited by CAL

The insane amount of camber may seem stupid to most of you ,but I love the slammed down look and how the wheel's flow with the fender's right down to the ground.

The greatest thing about scale automobile modeling is that we can do whatever we want and do not have to pay attention to the laws of physics or anything else for that matter. I don't like the style and wouldn't in a million years build such a thing, but I do think you've realized your concept really well. From a modeling-skills standpoint, this build satisfies the modeler's criteria for success. I could quibble about a few things that bother me personally, and with which I still struggle as a modeler, but if the model is what you were aiming for, then you've nailed it. Plus, who can resist a silver Porsche?

Thank's for all the input CAL, no offense ,but I never really asked for it. I don't care about 1:1 car physic's right now, I mean if that's the case how about the lack of brake's....??? Suppose it wouldn't stop as well as a factory 911...pardon me 964 eithier lol. Simply put.......

1) I like model kit's

2) I like Porsche's

3) I like the wheel fitment/stance craze

Thank's for commenting and checking out my build guy's, it's cool even if it's not your style you can apperciate the work that went into it.

Love it....and I love that stanced out look too Steven, so your not alone! Just wish they made this kit with an engine...

Question: What size Pegasus sleeves are those and are they the Pegasus tires (they look like they have a stretch look to them)? Are they the 23" sleeves both front and back? Did the BBS wheels from Model Scientists fit into the sleeves perfect or did you have to add styrene? Love the look!

Edited by cherokeered

Couldn't have put it any better.

And for what it is worth, my comments were not intended to put a negative light on the build!!!

And for what it is worth, my comments were not intended to put a negative light on the build!!!

Me neither. First thing I said is I liked it. It's one thing to know how stuff is supposed to work, and do something different anyway, and it's something else to just not know or care. This builder knows, but built what he wanted anyway...which is fine.

Knowledge of how things actually work will only make anyone a better builder, and it also gives a choice to 'do it right' or not. That's a choice ignorance doesn't offer.

v8supercars-vi.jpgV84-vi.jpg

I'll agree that the builder may have went a little too much on the rear, However I don't think its to the point that's not realistic. I'm not talking car make specific or street car as the build represents more of a racing version imo, to which there could be any kind of chassis/suspension under the Porsche body. At the end of the day, he is happy with it and he did a great job on it!