Model Cars Magazine Forum

Centrifugal Casting Machine

Good morning all. I have read quite a bit of material on the centrifugal casting process and it seems that it is the best way to do resin casting (at least for small parts). I've been using pressure casting for almost four years now and old Arthur is beginning to complain about tightening the lugs on the pressure pots. So, I've decided to build a small centrifugal casting machine (9" x 1" max mold capacity) that will easily fit on my work-bench. I built one several years back but the rpm of the motor I used was too high (even on low speed) and it did nothing but sling the resin out of the mold (hence my handle, resinslinger). I have found a motor with a speed control that will have the correct rpm (around 600) for resin casting. What I would like to know is this. If this new design works, would any of you that do resin casting, and could benefit from such a machine, be interested in having a set of plans so you could build your own? If so, send me an email and I'll put you on the list. Take care all. Chris.

Hey Chris, That is a great idea. I would like to be on the list. I'll send you an email. A bench top design would work great for a lot of us who have to negotiate modeling space. I'm lucky and as long as I keep my stuff within the confines of MY room....she doesn't give me grief..LOL. I built a vibrating table which seemed to help with the casting process but I would like to try your unit. Good luck and Thanks !!!

Mark

Edited by Scoopdaddy

The guy I casted for used a spinning pottery table. It worked pretty good.

I hear ceiling fan motors work well too.

I haven't really tried spin casting yet myself, but I'd be interested.

Edited by CAL

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't gotten around to designing the centrifugal casting machine because I got too busy filling orders (this is not a bad thing). Not to mention that my family and I are moving tomorrow to my mother's home in Weaverville, NC. She is 96, blind, and basically confined to a wheelchair. I still plan to design and build the machine described in this thread but it is going to be at least another month or so before I can do so. I have to make some significant modifications to my mother's garage and get the shop set up again. I will be sure to send plans to each of you that want them.

BTW....I have seen RotoCasting and I personally don't like it. You still have to pour the resin (or whatever) into the mold and I don't think that you can get rid of the air-bubbles as easily as you can with pressure and centrifugal casting.

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 4-page article on building a centrifugal casting machine for white metal. It's from an Australian hobby magazine back around 1993 or so (an Aussie buddy sent the article torn from a mag and it doesn't have a date or magazine name).

If anyone wants a copy, let me know and I'll send it out. I may see if I can scan it and post it here. This one uses an automotive heater fan hooked up to a car battery for power. There's no reason you couldn't use a 110 ac motor, though.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know if any progress has been made in this area either by Resinsligner of anywhere else?

resinslinger hasn't logged on in almost two years, so I doubt you will see any updates from her/him:

resinslinger

Member Since 22 Sep 2007

OFFLINE Last Active May 21 2011 03:39 AM