Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resurrection of an old "Glue Bomb" MPC '71 Chevrolet Impala Custom Coupe

Ron Hamilton

I picked up this beauty on EBAY about 9 years ago. Sorry I do not have the pictures of the car when I started on it, but I can say that it was rough! The "previous owner" had glued coach lamps on the roof pillars, and side pipes on the sides of the front fenders. The saving grace on this one was that it was not painted or sanded on. The problem with it was that the "previous builder" used enough glue to weld the parts together, and then some. I had to cut those items off of the car, and do some serious bodywork on those areas. When I got the car, I was a little miffed when I tried to get it apart, I had to cut it apart, as the "previous builder" used a lot of glue to hold it together, and it was moulded in RED PLASTIC. The front bench seat was missing, and 2 stock wheel covers were not included, as the "previous builder" used the "custom" pieces, and painted the red plastic with good old Testors white enamel with a brush, after the interior parts were "glue welded" in. The 1976 Caprice was recently reissued, so the plan was to re-do the interior tub from it for this one, as well as any other parts I needed for the build. Fortunately, The Modelhaus had some of the missing parts in its line, so I ordered and recieved the parts from them. I was a so irritated about the condition of the body of this car, that I considered backdating the '76 body into a '71 by "installing" the '71 specific parts into the '76 body. I had done the interior using plastic strips, but I was not really happy with the result. So I worked on the body, getting it pretty smooth, and applied the first coat of primer after I deepened the door lines, cut in the appropriate body separation lines, and doing the prelinary blocking.

2008_0818mamameetingaug080082.jpg

2008_0818mamameetingaug080084.jpg

2008_0818mamameetingaug080087.jpg

From the above photos, this is where I am with the body. I still have to do some additional straightening on the roof panel to eliminate a couple of dips in the roof where the "glue welded" window unit was installed, as well as on the front header panel above the headlamps.

A couple of years ago, I was able to score a complete promo interior, and a chassis with '71 Chevrolet wheelcovers and whitewall tires, so I will probably use most of those parts. The MPC parts leave a lot to be desired when it comes to the underhood area and engine, so I plan to substitute parts from the AMT '70 Monte Carlo SS, which will yield a much better underhood area, engine and firewall detail.

This is going to be a long term project, as I plan to add a vinyl roof, and scratchbuild a set of fender skirts. I also have to decide on which '71 Chevrolet color combination to paint it Classic Copper with a Beige Vinyl Roof and Sandlewood Interior.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

use a revell 65 impala chassis, motor, firewall and radiator support for even better results :lol:

The '71 was a completely different car from the '65-'70, but I may have some use for some of the parts. I am going to look at the track of the suspension, and the wheelbase. I was actually planning to make this a wire axle buiild, utilizing the original chassis I have. I may even do it as a curbside, and glue the hood shut. I don't build for contests, only for myself and the members of the board's enjoyment. Thanks for the suggestion though, as using the Revell kit may cut doen on building time, and give me some added detail.

The '71 was a completely different car from the '65-'70, but I may have some use for some of the parts. I am going to look at the track of the suspension, and the wheelbase. I was actually planning to make this a wire axle buiild, utilizing the original chassis I have. I may even do it as a curbside, and glue the hood shut. I don't build for contests, only for myself and the members of the board's enjoyment. Thanks for the suggestion though, as using the Revell kit may cut doen on building time, and give me some added detail.

here's a 76 caprice a good friend of mine built here with a 65 chassis and such.... he shaved the firewall...

Didn't think I could finish it this year but had to do one more for 06. :biggrin:

2z9b5sj.jpg

2a4qu4k.jpg

3z17c5w.jpg

34t1sfp.jpg

4fw2006.jpg

3zlzqd4.jpg

40maias.jpg

2qa0328.jpg

33u5389.jpg

Here's my phantom '76 Caprice Convertible. It's also in primer, and is further along than the '71 Impala, as the only thing I have to do to this one is paint it.

2005_01150022.jpg

2005_01150032.jpg

2005_01150037.jpg

I am considering changing it over to a '75, by changing the front clip, and adding replica stock wheels and tires.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

I painted the car, and rubbed out the finish, which was the Testors' Color which is closest to '71 Chevrolet Classic Copper, with Tamiya Clear lacquer. While it is not the exact shade, It looks pretty good, but I have to touch it up a little. A final glaze and wax will come one the Bare-Metal is done.

2008_08311971impala20002.jpg

I also added a black vinyl roof, using the Testors’ two-part spray. The finish is a little coarse to me for 1/25 scale, but it is not going no where.

2008_08311971impala20014.jpg

I cleaned up the Promo interior. I have to fill the holes from the convertible boot in, and paint it either black, or beige. The dash detail is very crisp. I hope that I can pick it out properly.

2008_08311971impala20017.jpg

Now, on to the Bare-Metal Work.

1971 Impala

I did the "Bare Metal" trim on the Impala last night.

2008_09011971impala30008.jpg

2008_09011971impala30009.jpg

Everything was going along pretty well until I decided to remove a pin from underneath the hood, in order for the hood to be better aligned with the body. The brittle plastic cracked right at that point. I cleaned up the "wound" to install a new patch.

2008_09011971impala30012.jpg

So now, I have to repair that area, and re-paint the hood. I am going to repaint the header panel at the same time. Fortunately I used lacquer paint.

2008_09011971impala30011.jpg