Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevy Pickup - A Detail Freak's Dream Truck!

OK, I got a bit of work done on this today, I spent most of the time making the windows on the rear sides of the cab and windshield fit flush with the cab. Once they fit smooth enough for my taste, I discovered the windshield has a gap nearly all the way around. I'm hoping I can fill it in with some Testors Clear cement, we'll see. For as well done as this kit has been so far, this is a bit disappointing!

50ChevyPU210-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU211-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU212-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU213-vi.jpg

Jim, it's already glued in place, I'm hoping I can fill the gap with Testors Clear parts cement, the possibly do a black wash to simulate the seal. It's not a consistent gap around the window, which is the biggest problem. But it is what it is, and I'll get around it, I always find a way! Once again, not a whole lot of progress tonight, still feeling horrible. But I got the interior bucket painted along with the door panels, then mocked it up to see how it looks with the seat and dash.

50ChevyPU214-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU215-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...

I gave up on wrapping the chains completely, just getting them attached to the tailgate was enough to make me stop building...FOREVER!!! It took me a minimum of 25 tries to get the chain attached to the passenger side, talk about frustrating! Of course, the driver's side went in on the first try, only because I knew exactly what not to do! But I had to remove the driver's side and re-do it, because the chain was one link short...it still went in easier than the passenger side, it only took three tries the second time around! But the bed is now 100% completed, and I painted the engine about two hours ago, so I should be able to make some headway on this baby today, wish me luck!

50ChevyPU219-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU220-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU221-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU218-vi.jpg

Onto more work, I decided instead of running the positive battery cable directly to the starter, I'd make a voltage regulator and run to that. So I grabbed a piece of sprue and started sanding, and about five minutes worth of work gave me a crude voltage regulator. I drilled three holes in it (One for the battery cable, one to the starter, and one to the firewall), painted it with some Metalizer, and glued it to the bottom of the passenger wheel well. No. it's not accurate, but the contest in Fayetteville is next weekend, so I'm just getting it done now as quickly as I can!

50ChevyPU223-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU224-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU225-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU230-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU231-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

More work? Yup, I'm definitely trying to get it done in time! A piece of 22 gauge wire was ran out of the battery box toward the engine, my quasi-voltage regulator in place, a piece of 30 gauge was added to the end of the molded-in wire on the firewall, then painted Flat Black to match. The final shot is of the engine, wearing it's pretty Valspar Bright Gold paint, more to come on that in the next update!

50ChevyPU235-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU234-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU236-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU237-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU238-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

OK, here's some more engine work. I had planned on using the Blower from the AMT Avanti kit that Sean Stacy cast for me, but couldn't get the pulley setup right, so the pretty resin Blower will be used on something else. I went with a four barrel setup, much easier to pull off with the limited time I have left. Then I started picking out various detail with Metalizers. I hope to have it wired, the valve cover stripped and repainted Metalizer Aluminum Plate, and finish this part off before the end of the Panthers/Redskins game!

50ChevyPU239-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU241-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU242-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU243-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU244-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Nice job on the bed and chains! I'm almost sorry to here about your deadline for the show, you have been putting on a clinic. If Doctor Cranky can learn anything from this build I would consider it a huge success, after all he is the master of '50 Chevy pickups...Congratulations on a great build and good luck at the show.

If the engine doesn't come out as well as I want, I'll just enter it with a closed hood, curbside style. I want to get my first linkage in for the carb, and I'm not sure I can pull off the brake lines with the time I have left either. So even if it does get entered, I'm sure I'll have some work left on it!

Edited by Custom Mike

OK, some more engine work was done tonight. I dug out some 30 gauge wire for the spark plugs and coil, and some 26 gauge wire (From some old 25 pair telephone wire) for the boots, something I've never done well before. I stripped the insulation from the 26 gauge wire, then cut it into small pieces. I slid two pieces onto each piece of 30 gauge wire, then added a bit of Flat Black to each "boot". A little bit of superglue and we're all done with the plug wires!

50ChevyPU245-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU246-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU247-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU248-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU249-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Next up was my fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb, then from the frame to the fuel pump. I also trimmed up the starter wire and battery cable, and did a quick mock-up with the inner fender well. I also repainted the freshly stripped valve cover with some Metalizer Aluminum Plate, and re-installed it on the engine. That's all for tonight, gotta work in the morning, so enjoy the pics, and pray that I have an easy day tomorrow, I go on call, so I need all the help I can get to get this baby done by Friday night!

50ChevyPU251-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU253-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU254-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU255-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU256-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Thanks, I picked it up from Scale Repros Plus, they were the only people I could find selling a 6 cylinder distributor. I got a ton of work done on this baby in the last few days, but I don't have time to update right now, I've got to run to the annual contest in Fayetteville, NC this morning. Unfortunately, this one will only be shown on the display table, I wanted to enter, but don't want to compromise the build just for a plaque. It'll get entered next year, finished off the way it should be!

Edited by Custom Mike

OK, now to show all the work that's been done lately. I decided to go with flocking on the door panels, I ran out of the leather I was using. In reality, I ended up thinning it out too much and ripping holes in it, but it sounds better when I say I ran out. I painted the inside of the cab Dupli-Color Desert Sand, then painted up my side mirrors. I also drilled holes in the mirrors to make mounting them easier.

50ChevyPU257-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU258-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU259-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU260-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU261-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU262-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU264-vi.jpg

50ChevyPU266-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike