Model Cars Magazine Forum

Animal Jim Zephyr and Bob Glidden Fairmont on progress

My on progress Animal Jim pro mod Zephyr and Bob Glidden 1978 pro stock Fairmont, both based in Futurattraction superb resin body, The paint now will be wet sanded,polished, graphics painted and and then clear will go on on both of them, still a long way to go but getting there.

2012022421_28_10-vi.jpg

2012022419_51_07-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

007-vi.jpg

Could a Stock fairmont be built from this Body?

With some modifications,yes it can be made into a street version.You will have to rework a little the back wheel opening...and I will say this is minimal. Cut and push out the front bumper...quite easy to do in this body...and again the diference is minimal. You will have to fabricate the front windshield and back glass sourounding "chrome" tim for the street stock apperance and wich is absent in this version of the car since is a pro stock/street/mod trim version, again someting quite easy to make with some plastic strip and bare metal foil,my two fairmonts came with "stock" engine hoods...no scoop opening...so you can fit the shape and size you want...and another plus for the street version conversion.

Fred

Could a Stock fairmont be built from this Body?

This is from the futurattraction website

http://futurattraction.com/6.html

Fairmont stock body transkit: stock body with unmodified rear wheel wells, flat hood, headlight/grille assembly with insert, separate front and rear bumpers, clear headlight and taillight lenses and window glass with integral frames, lengthened AMT Mustang floor pan, much-modified Mustang interior side panels, dash. The donor for this transkit is the AMT/Ertl 87-93 type Mustang.

He sells a stock body kit

Fred, they're both coming along great! I love what you're doing and thanks for the update...

Gabriel and Terry. I want to jump in here and make some clarification. The very simple website I have up right now lists a stock body. Those aren't actually available at this point in time. My plan is to rework this body into a stock version. The rear wheel well openings will be returned to stock length, bumpers will be separate and stock width, a valance panel will be added at the rear, the cowl vent panel will be incorporated back into the body with a stock length hood and I'll add the fuel filler door. Unfortunately, there are only 24 hours in a day and I'm still working 40 hrs a week. Too many things to do and not enough time. Scott

They are both looking very good Fred, I like your direction and your attention to detail. :)

If I could trust my eyes, I too would love to build one of these. As it is, I already have too many 1/25(24) builds in my stash that probably will never get built. :(

Thanks to all for the positive comments about this projects,greatly appreciated. Have donne. a few more things and will make an update in a couple of days....I hope..... if everything goes well with the graphics!!!!!

Edited by Plasticfanatic

Fred, they're both coming along great! I love what you're doing and thanks for the update...

Gabriel and Terry. I want to jump in here and make some clarification. The very simple website I have up right now lists a stock body. Those aren't actually available at this point in time. My plan is to rework this body into a stock version. The rear wheel well openings will be returned to stock length, bumpers will be separate and stock width, a valance panel will be added at the rear, the cowl vent panel will be incorporated back into the body with a stock length hood and I'll add the fuel filler door. Unfortunately, there are only 24 hours in a day and I'm still working 40 hrs a week. Too many things to do and not enough time. Scott

When you get the body reworked I would like to buy one or two

haha i never thought id see this build. i live just own the street from animal jim and have went in his shop and hung out with him a few times. hes a great guy id like to keep an eye on this build. i love drivin by the shop and sneekin peeks at old zeeke!

Yes indeed is a great guy and quite helpful, I sent him an email asking some detail questions about his car ZEKE, he was very kind and took the time to replay with the info. on all of them, I really appreciate his kind and helpful replay.

I've met AJ a couple of times and he is a great guy. He'll talk your ear off about Zeke, but ask him about "The Big Animal" 58 Merc and he really gets going. If you ever get to see it, he raced it, parked it, and has never touched it except to keep it clean. This THE car that made him "Animal" Jim. Not that Zeke is a slouch by any means.

http://youtu.be/PjI_zg6xl4Y

Edited by Ramcharger

Jim,

To my knowledge, Animal Jim was the only one who ever used a roof hatch in his Zephyr. Don't see a lot of them (roof hatches) in any doorslammers. It's kind of like they became a trademark of AJ. I'm pretty sure he had one in his Probe, too. I'm not sure about his T-Bird. Should go back and look at his website, could probably answer myself for both of those cars...