Model Cars Magazine Forum

My '57 Chevy Black Widow

Sixties Sam

Hey, guys, I just finished this Revell 57 Chevy 150 sedan. It's all stock, although I did add a back seat from one of my old parts boxes. Paint is Krylon with Testors clear over it. The chrome trim is silver paint. I've never tried BMF. The engine is not detailed, other than being painted. The car will be used in a diorama I have planned, where it will be paired with a beat up utility trailer, trying to look like a car a farmer would have owned in the mid-1950's.

4331669626_e657b42efe.jpg

4331669542_6f7aec11fb.jpg

4330932579_42f329300e.jpg

This is a great kit! Everything fit easily - a straightforward and enjoyable build. Good for an old man like me! I hope you guys like it.

The chrome trim is silver paint. I've never tried BMF.

This is a great kit! Everything fit easily - a straightforward and enjoyable build. Good for an old man like me!

Looks great! The detail on the grill bar is nice. You got a very steady hand for an old guy... :(

This Chevy turned out awesome.

Hi, my name is Jim and I have this mattel 1957 Barbie Chevy and I'm customizing it with a complete make over. The chrome is badly scarred and I was about to buy another online off ebay to get chrome parts. When I saw yours and read that the chrome trim parts were actually silver paint, I couldn't believe it. I have tried krylon silver and found it to dull for chrome makover. I may just be missing something simple like proper primer or something. What brand of silver are you using? I plan on maybe using 1/8 scale ford deuce undercarriage parts . I build one of a kind Barbie items and am in process of making a scale frontal home view in my hobbie room. This will showcase real to detail picket fences in 11" doll scale. I have put together a Big T ford and a Big Deuce 32 ford so far uo use with removable wheels so Barbie & ken can be shown changing oil in the driveway with car up on jackstands and such, with fence and lawn furniture showcased. Just something to do for an old retired guy and my 10 yr old granddaughter.Hope I got this in the right place. Thanks.

Hey, guys, I just finished this Revell 57 Chevy 150 sedan. It's all stock, although I did add a back seat from one of my old parts boxes. Paint is Krylon with Testors clear over it. The chrome trim is silver paint. I've never tried BMF. The engine is not detailed, other than being painted. The car will be used in a diorama I have planned, where it will be paired with a beat up utility trailer, trying to look like a car a farmer would have owned in the mid-1950's.

4331669542_6f7aec11fb.jpg

4330932579_42f329300e.jpg

This is a great kit! Everything fit easily - a straightforward and enjoyable build. Good for an old man like me! I hope you guys like it.

Hi guys, it's the newby again. What is this B M F? I have the idea it must be some chroming process or paint? I was really taken back by sheen of chrome in the pics of the chrome trim in the 57 chevy there. Thanks.

Sam-

That is a beautiful job. Although I don't see any of the silver painted trim you should really try BMF. It is kind of a bear to get the hang of (at least it was for me), it really adds to the realism. Again, a great looking build.

Later-

Very nice. I as well recommend BMF, it is far easier than painting. Jim, he didnt paint the bumpers, etc, he hand painted the window trim. BMF is Bare Metal Foil, available at most hobby shops, it is a very thin metal foil with adhesive already on it. There is a tutorial on the site somewhere, maybe someon can post the link. It is far easier than painting the trim by hand.

Hi , I like this project and how it turned out . It may not be too awful important to do foil to post here . I think your build has appropiate shine and gleam on your hand painted trim . I myself have a resin (one of the first I bought)back in the '80's . Foil was a new thing . I applied foil on the body . When I removed the excess , so did my Factory Paint . This was the first time I bought that paint . I am willing to try again . Next time don't tell you didn't use foil . Thanx.. B)

Hi guys, it's the newby again. What is this B M F? I have the idea it must be some chroming process or paint? I was really taken back by sheen of chrome in the pics of the chrome trim in the 57 chevy there. Thanks.

Hi

This is BMF...

DSC00004-vi.jpg

Wow! Thanks, guys. I didn't expect so much response to a box stock build! Thanks for all the compliments. Someone mentioned the grille bar detail. The red, white & blue Chevy logo in the middle is the kit decal. My hands are not that steady to paint it! I used a black acrylic wash on the grille, and to highlight the door and trunk lid lines. It helps them look more realistic, I think.

BTW, the kit has a bunch of extra parts in it that are not referenced in the instructions: an extra radiator support, radiator hoses, a battery, a brake or clutch pedal, and exhaust headers. I suppose from the tooling for a different kit (Bel-Air maybe?). I wish they would have used that plastic for a back seat and a 6 cyl. engine, but retooling is big time expensive!

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Thanks, guys. I didn't expect so much response to a box stock build! Thanks for all the compliments. Someone mentioned the grille bar detail. The red, white & blue Chevy logo in the middle is the kit decal. My hands are not that steady to paint it! I used a black acrylic wash on the grille, and to highlight the door and trunk lid lines. It helps them look more realistic, I think.

BTW, the kit has a bunch of extra parts in it that are not referenced in the instructions: an extra radiator support, radiator hoses, a battery, a brake or clutch pedal, and exhaust headers. I suppose from the tooling for a different kit (Bel-Air maybe?). I wish they would have used that plastic for a back seat and a 6 cyl. engine, but retooling is big time expensive!

Sam

Sam, I think you'll REALLY like the new Revell '57 Bel Air Sedan.....just picked one up. NICE!, and it comes with a back seat! :( ....

The new Revell '57 Bel Air Sedan

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66