Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boot Hill Express Custom

FilmMkr

Real nice build! I've never built it, but I'll guess the mods... 1- wheels 2- tires 3- gauge panel 4- steering wheel.

That's all I got.

BTW, how about adding your real name per board rules, I would really like to give you credit in my photo album.

Again, really nice Boothill Express!

My name is Marc Havican.

I used to write for Model Cars. And Scale Auto. And Fine Scale Modeler. Now Amazing Figure Modeler.

Mods include the obvious (wheels, tires, PE steering wheel, guages) and the not-so-obvious - reworked suspension with scratchbuilt tube axle (front), new differential and axle (rear), Chrysler FirePower engine replacement (fully wired), disc brakes from a Tamiya Peugot 206 rally car, Scale Motorsport photoetched disc faces, LeMans Miniatures calipers, and more. All chrome parts were stripped and repainted with Alclad Chrome, and all other metal parts were painted with various shades of ALclad..

The paint is a custom woodgrain mix, brush painted with acrylics.

I first removed all injector pin marks and blemishes, then puttied, sanded, and primed all of the parts with Tamiya Fine gray primer. I base coated the parts with a light tan acrylic and sealed with Krylon matte finish. I thinned some Liquitex raw sienna with Badger extender and brushed it on using the rattiest 1/8 inch wide paintbrush I could find. This is one time that you want to see brush strokes! After the paint dried I sealed it and repeated the process, letting the brush strokes from the previous step show through.

Next I mixed up a thin wash of burnt umber and repeated the same technique using the ratty brush and random wood grain-looking stokes and sealing between the two layers. I only made two passes of each wash because like anything, its easy to overdo it. I liked the effect I was getting, so I quit while I was ahead and sealed with lacquer.

I then mixed up some of my “secret recipe†– a bit of Tamiya clear orange, clear green, and clear red - and thinned it 50/50 with Tamiya thinner. The green and orange make a brownish color, and the red warms it up. I added a bit more red than usual because I wanted a red oak look. I shot two coats of this overcoat and set everything aside to cure for several days.

I painted the velvet curtains with Humbrol 85 semi-gloss black, then detailed the tassels with Model Master gold.

The base is 100% scratchbuilt.

788402639_PYCre-L.jpg

788402630_nXPyf-L.jpg

788402620_Jojtq-L.jpg

788402613_twEJF-L.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome, fellas. Gregg and I go waaaay back, and finally reconnected at GSL three years ago.

I mostly build figures now, but still do the occasional race car, custom, and bike.

If you'd like to see what I've been up to for the last few years, check out my modeling website, which includes How-To's, WIPs, Tips and Tricks, and also cars and bikes.

(CAUTION - if model kits that include female nudity offend you, do NOT click this link!)

Clicky >>> Model Builders

Marc Havican