Model Cars Magazine Forum

Raptor Hauler - A Big Truck for a Big Man

Raul_Perez

This is being built as the hauler and trailer for the "Raptor" that I built earlier this year. When done, the hauler and the trailer will look very similar to the Raptor in design and color.

The Raptor was a tribute to Ed Roth. The thought was "what would Ed build today if he had all the latest materials, engines, wheels, tires...??

From the start, I didn't like to shape of the side window openings on the doors, feeling that they were too tall in the front. With that, I tilted the front of the roof down about 0.05". At the same time, the hood needed a SERIOUS pie cut to get the front of it down where it needed to be. I also added the "spine" on the hood at that time.

DSC05336-vi.jpg

Not liking the look of the stock grille opening, even with the custom headlights that match those on the Raptor, it was time graft on the entire custom nose clip from the AMT '50 Ford Convertible onto the truck. That included a bit of reshaping of the front edge of the hood and another piecut. Here's how it looked at that point (the spine on the hood still needed to be replaced):

DSC05685-vi.jpg

The problem now with the new front end was that the truck looked too "nose heavy". The front looked like it stuck out too far beyond the wheel opening.

DSC05929-vi.jpg

To fix that, I moved the front wheel opening forward 0.20 inches. I also added 0.06" thick styrene to the top and bottom of the running boards to give them a more "modern" look. I'll drill them later to make room for the exhaust outlets.

DSC05928-vi.jpg

Here's how it looks now, sitting next to the Raptor.

110208LF04-vi.jpg

A bit more body work here and there and this one will be ready for a good coat of primer, followed by the Testors Fathom Green lacquer and the stripes.

I hope to have this one ready for the NNL West in March...

Edited by Raul_Perez

Now that looks better with the lights and grille!! You said that you was going to put the Lightning chassisd underneath it?

I haven't decided on the chassis or interior yet, but I have a spare Lightning kit to take parts from...

Holy cow now that Is kewl, the graft look's great and well exacuted, tho that lil thingy on the roof, what Is it?, and the Raptor is just wild, thanx man...

The Raptor was designed after this type of dinosaur. The truck will have similar design features, including the peak on the roof from the head of the dinosaur.

Unenlagia_BW.jpg

Thanks,

Now that's real kustomizing! Shifting the front wheels forward really did the trick. The body work on the front end, particularly the fill panel extending down to the grill shell and the air dam which echoes it, is great. The picture of the Raptor and its Hauler shows that they will look terrific together when it's done. What are your plans for the back end?

Edited by gbk1

This is being built as the hauler and trailer for the "Raptor" that I built earlier this year. When done, the hauler and the trailer will look very similar to the Raptor in design and color.

The Raptor was a tribute to Ed Roth. The thought was "what would Ed build today if he had all the latest materials, engines, wheels, tires...??

From the start, I didn't like to shape of the side window openings on the doors, feeling that they were too tall in the front. With that, I tilted the front of the roof down about 0.05". At the same time, the hood needed a SERIOUS pie cut to get the front of it down where it needed to be. I also added the "spine" on the hood at that time.

DSC05336-vi.jpg

Not liking the look of the stock grille opening, even with the custom headlights that match those on the Raptor, it was time graft on the entire custom nose clip from the AMT '50 Ford Convertible onto the truck. That included a bit of reshaping of the front edge of the hood and another piecut. Here's how it looked at that point (the spine on the hood still needed to be replaced):

DSC05685-vi.jpg

The problem now with the new front end was that the truck looked too "nose heavy". The front looked like it stuck out too far beyond the wheel opening.

DSC05929-vi.jpg

To fix that, I moved the front wheel opening forward 0.15 inches. I also added 0.06" thick styrene to the top and bottom of the running boards to give them a more "modern" look. I'll drill them later to make room for the exhaust outlets.

DSC05928-vi.jpg

Here's how it looks now, sitting next to the Raptor.

110208LF04-vi.jpg

A bit more body work here and there and this one will be ready for a good coat of primer, followed by the Testors Fathom Green lacquer and the stripes.

I hope to have this one ready for the NNL West in March...

Hey Raul :rolleyes:

This truck build is the coolest. I mean it :P .

It's starting out looking like a 50's/60's Barris custom, like in the old Rod and Custom magazine. You've got the eye and the touch to create some amazing art pieces. Great to see this kind of talent here. Hope to see these in the mags at a future date - Hint, hint gregg!!!! :lol:

Keep up the great work - Dave

Hey Raul ;)

This truck build is the coolest. I mean it :P .

It's starting out looking like a 50's/60's Barris custom, like in the old Rod and Custom magazine. You've got the eye and the touch to create some amazing art pieces. Great to see this kind of talent here. Hope to see these in the mags at a future date - Hint, hint gregg!!!! :P

Keep up the great work - Dave

Thanks, Dave!! I have a lot of fun building the customs. Some come out pretty cool and some end up back in the box to be used later as parts cars. :lol: I'm hoping this one will end up as a 3 piece set; hauler, trailer and custom hotrod.

Later,

;) Geeze, Raul, I hadn't seen a wip from you in so long,I actually forgot what a GREAT builder you really are! The last thing I remembered was Clay's Stoody. Then a while back, you came up with the"Raptor".Now this! AND a trailer? I guess that little seed Clay planted a while back took root real good!This is what? about the 3rd Truck,Trailer,Rod combo we've seen so far? I'm likein this. Shows ALOT of creativity.You GO Boy! :P

Now what are you gonna do with the trailer? Build as is or modify it?

Yep...the trailer will get a custom air foil in the front to keep all the dust, dirt and road grime off of the Raptor when it gets moved between the shows... ;)

:lol: Geeze, Raul, I hadn't seen a wip from you in so long,I actually forgot what a GREAT builder you really are! The last thing I remembered was Clay's Stoody. Then a while back, you came up with the"Raptor".Now this! AND a trailer? I guess that little seed Clay planted a while back took root real good!This is what? about the 3rd Truck,Trailer,Rod combo we've seen so far? I'm likein this. Shows ALOT of creativity.You GO Boy! :lol:

George,

I was busy for a couple of months helping a friend sort out a resin '35 Chevy coupe.

Yes, this will have a matching trailer for the Raptor to ride on. When it's done, there will be no mistaking that it was all built as matching pieces in a set. ;)

Later,

Wow, the new front-end treatment really works! I think the best thing you did for it tho was moving the front wheels forward. I've always thought these trucks could use just that, even when the body is left completely stock. Do you have any plans to modify the back end or just leave it as is? Either way, can't wait to see this when finished!

raul....ur a genius....my friend.....this is gonna be so coooool cant wait to see it done....also congrats on ur article in model cars...i just got my aug/sept issue last week got oct 2day go figure....when i was a mailman i use to read some of my customers mags but never keep them more then a few days...lol...pay back i guess...neal

ps on another note what ever happened to damm crapp'n rat out of hell...did i miss the finished product????

Edited by outlaw035

Wow, the new front-end treatment really works! I think the best thing you did for it tho was moving the front wheels forward. I've always thought these trucks could use just that, even when the body is left completely stock. Do you have any plans to modify the back end or just leave it as is? Either way, can't wait to see this when finished!

Thanks, Dennis!! Yeah...I agree that moving the front wheels forward even on a stock truck helps th overall look.

I can't do too much with the back of the truck like I did the Raptor because I need to be able to connect the trailer to it.

raul....ur a genius....my friend.....this is gonna be so coooool cant wait to see it done....also congrats on ur article in model cars...i just got my aug/sept issue last week got oct 2day go figure....when i was a mailman i use to read some of my customers mags but never keep them more then a few days...lol...pay back i guess...neal

ps on another note what ever happened to damm crapp'n rat out of hell...did i miss the finished product????

Thanks, Neal!! Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I saw the article published. I had sent Gregg a copy of the material I had sent to a friend to see if he was interested in the topic and he used what I had sent...oh well...

I'm not sure what happened with Virgil's BatOutOfHell build after he finished the car. His last post said that he was going to build a diorama base for it, but I never saw it posted.

Later,

Looking good so far ol'buddy...you seem to be havin' a lot of fun with the "raptor" theme

can't wait to see what you come up with for the trailer

now are ya gonna put a "raptor wing" on the Goldwing? B):lol:

Be sure you keep us posted with progress shots and the finished product Raul!!!

:lol:

Now that's real kustomizing! Shifting the front wheels forward really did the trick. The body work on the front end, particularly the fill panel extending down to the grill shell and the air dam which echoes it, is great. The picture of the Raptor and its Hauler shows that they will look terrific together when it's done. What are your plans for the back end?

Thanks, Bernard!! Yes, moving the wheels forward made a big difference in the look of the truck, making it more modern in appearance. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do to the back because of the trailer connection...unless I can find a way to incorporate it into the design as well...

hi !!!

oh man !!! what do you do with the front? :blink:

absolutly GREAT building what you shows here - i am excited !!!

i love it !!!!!!!!!!

greets jürgen

Thanks, Jürgen!!

That's the funny thing about custom designs. They tend to polarize people...some will love it, some will hate it. In the end, it's all up to how the builder likes it.

Later,

...now are ya gonna put a "raptor wing" on the Goldwing? :blink::blink: ...

Already done!!

Hola Mr. P' As I pick up my jaw.. :D Goodness thats the ticket.. Yer custom work is just outta this world.. As always amigo keep on wit the keepin on!!! Excellent work so far

peace

ajulia

Tito,

It's good to hear from you!! I'm glad that you like this one. I think that the set will look pretty cool when it's all finished.

Later,

Here are a few pics with all of the bodywork done, except for the bed. This is the first real coat of primer I've applied to the body, so there's a bit of sanding and a little bit of putty work left to do before this one sees paint.

The front wheels are mounted on the new front susupension from the '99 Ford SVT Lightning truck. The rear suspension will also come from the Lightning kit, but for these pics the frame is just sitting on the axle.

DSC05962-vi.jpg

DSC05963-vi.jpg

Here you can clearly see how much better the front end looks with the front wheel openings moved forward 0.20".

DSC05965-vi.jpg

While the primer dries I'll get started on the few mods I have in mind for to the bed to keep the rear of the truck aligned with the "Raptor" theme of the matching show car and trailer.

Thanks for looking,

Edited by Raul_Perez

what paint color youre gonna use? though of that?

Jose,

The hauler and the trailer will be painted to match the show car.

Raptor07-vi.jpg

It's Testors Fathom Green Metallic with a Testors Phoenican Yellow stripe and black and orange pinstripes.

For the interior, it's Testors Fabric Tan.

Later,