Model Cars Magazine Forum

VIPER MX7! Viper-X-Wing Jet Racer... Finished!

CLEAR SUPPORT!

I am going to use a length of Clear Acrylic Rod to support the Viper in the flying position. I started by drilling a hole in the bottom, large enough to fit a length of Plastic Tubing, for the Clear Rod to slide into.

DSCN7963V_zpsfa38763d.jpg

Next I applied glue on the end of the tubing and slid it in place. I applied a little Zap-A-Gap Glue around where the tube fits into the body.

DSCN7967V_zps2f2a8841.jpg

Then I cut off the Tubing flush with the Engines.

DSCN7969V_zpsd99b749e.jpg

More Coming... B)

• 2 months later...

Hi Ira,

Just how many projects do you have on the go at any one time, I struggle with doing just one at a time, anyway, yet again your modelling skills have me in awe and hungry to see a whole lot more...

Thank you so much for taking the time to show us how your creations come to life Sir...

Andy...

Hi Ira,

Just how many projects do you have on the go at any one time, I struggle with doing just one at a time, anyway, yet again your modelling skills have me in awe and hungry to see a whole lot more...

Thank you so much for taking the time to show us how your creations come to life Sir...

Andy...

Thanks for the kind words Andy!

I build a few at a time, sometimes more or less... B)

NEW WING FINS!

I decided to make some Fins for the Wings. I had these Wing Parts leftover from a MPC Snow Speeder, so I measured and marked the size Fins that I would need. These are 2-sided Wing Fins, nice wedge shape.

DSCN9907F_zpsb66a2793.jpg

Here are the Top and Bottom Wing Fins from one side. I also made a Template to set the Fin Angle when I glue the Fin to the Wing.

DSCN9912V_zpsed6cb12e.jpg

Here is the Fin glued together. I made the Top wider to increase the gluing area to the Wing. Sorry a little out of focus...

DSCN9914V_zpsf0465379.jpg

More Coming... B)

FINS ARE IN!

I fit the Fins to the Wings and cut off the excess plastic from the rear of the Fins.

DSCN9919V_zps7287684f.jpg

Here is a Fin glued in place. The Panel Lines on the Fin look pretty good.

DSCN9926V_zpsd5aa1fd8.jpg

I used Half-Round Plastic Strip to fill the gaps between the Fins and the Wings.

DSCN9935V_zps0134901c.jpg

More Coming... B)

CHIPS!

The Viper Body has little Chips, or Square Shapes all over. The Snow Speeder Wing Tips, X-Wing Body and Sheet Plastic Add-Ons had no Chips. So I am going to add some Chips!
I started with a few thin strips of Plastic.

DSCN0093V_zps05fe2fc9.jpg

I cut several squares and rectangles with the X-Acto Knife. Then I cut some of the on angles to make triangles.

DSCN0099V_zpsbfd26798.jpg

I used the X-Acto Knife to hold the Chips while I added Zap-A-Gap with a tooth pick.

DSCN0101V_zpse949029f.jpg

Then I used the Knife to position the Chip and glued it in place.

DSCN0103V_zps9c7adafe.jpg

More Coming... B)

LOTS MORE CHIPS!

I copied the Chip Patterns on the Viper Body and added similar shaped Chips to the bare sections...

DSCN0113V_zps810d7760.jpg

I added a few more on the Wing Fins, mimicking the patterns on the Wing.

DSCN0112V_zps6ab98ad1.jpg

I added more Chips all over, including adding more to the original Viper Body and Wing Parts. Next I sanded all of the New Chips down a little thinner and smoother.

DSCN0119V_zps8561d670.jpg

More Coming... B)

GOING UP!

I decided to add Vertical Thrusters so the Viper can Take Off and Land Vertically. I am using a Low Rider Wheel for the front Thruster. I marked the area to be cut out with a Circle Template.

DSCN0123V_zps1692a68c.jpg

I cut the hole out with an X-Acto Knife and smoothed it a little with a Sanding Drum Bit.

DSCN0124V_zps5599c01b.jpg

I removed the chrome from the Wheel/Thruster. Here it is in place.

DSCN0161V_zps41c5340d.jpg

More Coming... B)

MORE THRUSTERS!

There are 2 Fans already molded into bottom/sides of the Engines! I think I'll make them a little bigger.

DSCN0166V_zps3be8d65d.jpg

I cut 2 lengths of plastic tubing that are a little larger then the Fans. Then I sanded them smooth.

DSCN0165V_zps325135b3.jpg

I glued the tubing in place,around both of the Fans. Looks like the Thrusters might be able to swivel...

DSCN0172V_zps732f6563.jpg

More Coming... B)