Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Flip Open Fuel Cap?

Anyone here know of a resin or aftermarket manufactuer offering a flip open fuel cap? The cap was very popular on Indy cars from the 60's and even found it self on the tail 1971 Mustang Mach 1! As far as I know, nobody but Mini Exotics lists anything close but the listing for Mini Exotics shows not picture other than the word "Small".

What the heck does that mean?

An example of what I am looking for is found in the Monogram Shelby 427 Cobra kit. :blink:

I think Norm of Replicas and Miniatures has what you need Jairus. they're listed in his catalog as part #R-31.

Here's a couple pics of what I think are his caps that I used years ago on these two models..............

P7100008-vi.jpg

P7090553-vi.jpg

P7090552-vi.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pics............but these were taken when I was a digicam newbie! :blink:

If you want to E Norm.......his email addy is here. His phone number is 410-768-3648 from 9AM-6PM ET

HTH!

Anyone here know of a resin or aftermarket manufactuer offering a flip open fuel cap? The cap was very popular on Indy cars from the 60's and even found it self on the tail 1971 Mustang Mach 1! As far as I know, nobody but Mini Exotics lists anything close but the listing for Mini Exotics shows not picture other than the word "Small".

What the heck does that mean?

An example of what I am looking for is found in the Monogram Shelby 427 Cobra kit. :lol:

The old Indy car (front engine roadster era) fuel doors were a "cam and lever" design that originated in the 1920's, from Harry A Miller Company (Miller '91 race cars). USAC specified this type of fuel door until the dawn of the aircraft-style refueling nozzle/receptical setups of the late 1960's.

Biscuitbuilder

I contacted Norm at Replica & Miniatures of Maryland (Thanks Bill!) and he sent me a set of his resin "Flip-open" gas caps.

P1010094-vi.jpg

The question came up on a Slot Car forum and I asked here because.... well, this is the best place to ask scale questions!

Norm responded very quickly and the product is smoothly polished, well packaged and finely detailed. I highly recommended it to the person who asked me the question and I post the same info here just incase there is someone reading this looking for the same.

The first picture was two of the caps painted with Testors Model Master polishing aluminum:

P1010098-vi.jpg

The one on the left was lightly polished with the Q-tip, the one on the right.... not.

These were treated to a glossy coat of black and then alclad. Very pretty huh? Norm makes some nice stuff! :lol:

P1010097-vi.jpg

Norm's email is: replmincomd@aol.com

or call at: 410-768-3648 to order a catalog for $4.00.

Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Md.

317 Roosevelt Ave SW

Glen Burnie, MD 21061

P.S. Thanks for all the help guys and thanks for the offer Brendan! :D

Edited by Jairus