Model Cars Magazine Forum

HM's 1900 Packard Roadster 1/16

Pocherphile

Rick- heads up- theres a very rare H M on ebay -I have not seen and with a top- item # 390797018687

1904 Stevens Duryea appears mint. good bidding! FS

I am watching, but could not take it, went ahead and Buy Now on 1914 Model T Fire Engine..............saw one of these not long ago on another web site f/$100.00!

Rick

Meticulous work Rick. You're making art.

Admittedly, I'm a butcher compared to you, but some thoughts about curving the wood. Don't cringe...

When building 1/4 scale flying R/C, I remember spraying isopropyl on sections or strips of balsa and pinning the circumference against a form (using wax paper on the plans to mimic the shape). Then fine sanding to get the 'hair' off the surface.

Also remember kerfing the piece but I understand your reluctance to that in this case due to age and rarity.

See? Told you I'm a butcher... :blink:

I think this is fantastic- building a kit from 1949! I have a 48 Ford Pickup - scale 1/1 and I can tell you they dont build em like they used to.

its true Rick-this is ''seat of the pants building'' they really give you just shapes to start. lots of imagination is involved and scratch building for the small final hardware.

there probably should be a section here for Historic Modeling! I Look foreward to more updates and thanks for the complement on OLD 16- I remember bending the balsa around the hood and cowl.

Edited by f1ford48

Not a criticism, but a question out of curiosity: Why did you glue the seats to the body structure before painting? Seems to me it would be easier to work with the seats separately -- paint, cushions, etc -- before gluing them.

Edited by sjordan2

there probably should be a section here for Historic Modeling!

That would be great if it would encourage more members to work on these kinds of cars and give those of us who love pre-WWII cars more examples. It could get a little confusing, though, for modelers who are working on pre-war hot rods.

Edited by sjordan2

Not a criticism, but a question out of curiosity: Why did you glue the seats to the body structure before painting? Seems to me it would be easier to work with the seats separately -- paint, cushions, etc -- before gluing them.

No criticism taken friend, you are correct in your order of work, but after much thought and the having to line the seat w/the two curved body trim parts........of which was added after the seat was attached, I just thought it easier to glue seat frame to body. I have as of yet, made the seat that will insert into the frame. I also like to paint as much of the assembly as possible while building and this is a learning curve for me with these types kits. Sometimes what looks easier can lead to more head aches than it was worth for the ease of the effort. That's one of those things about modeling, after you finish a build and look it all over, about 1/2 of it would be done a different way........@ least it works that way for me. I built 2 Pocher kits @ same time years ago, both were the same type vehicle, one for me, one for a client.......even building @ same time, what I found did and did not work on one, I tried differently on the other.........amazingly, a lot of stuff was done differently and I to this day remember what made that assembly work smoother and if I built that same kit again, I would try new and other ways I guess. Thanks for the question and I hope I answered what you were asking. To anyone following this thread, ask away, and if you need to be critical, do so.......after all, we want the same results, knowledge of what and why to a completed project. ;)

As for a section for this type model, I am pretty new here, but I think a better idea would to make it a Brass Era Vehicles........any scale and or material. That way more people might take on these types vehicle's if a broader range were allowed..........just my 2 cents worth.

Rick B)

I think this is fantastic- building a kit from 1949! I have a 48 Ford Pickup - scale 1/1 and I can tell you they dont build em like they used to.

its true Rick-this is ''seat of the pants building'' they really give you just shapes to start. lots of imagination is involved and scratch building for the small final hardware.

there probably should be a section here for Historic Modeling! I Look foreward to more updates and thanks for the complement on OLD 16- I remember bending the balsa around the hood and cowl.

You are very welcomed Frank, I have read and re-read the thread and studied the photos of your build of the Locomobile.

Rick B)