Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st WIP - Topkick: Update 05/28/13 She's Complete

• 2 weeks later...

Update 02/07/13

Thanks for all the great comments guys. It's coming along but not as quickly as I would like. I have a little progress to report. My paint order finally arrived so I’ve been working completing the chassis. First up was the exhaust. I thought about using the stock Louisville exhaust and running up through the bed, but it didn’t go with theme I’m after. So I used tube styrene and the mufflers/tips from a Big Foot monster truck kit and fabbed my own exhaust. Here is the comparison of the stock vs. custom and the final installation on the chassis. I used Model Masters iron rust to lightly weather the exhaust around the mufflers and bends from the exhaust manifolds and BMF the exhaust tips.

DSCN1648_zps62ee54d8.jpg

DSCN1663_zps8882a41d.jpg

On the Louisville short hauler kit the flaps were attached to the underside of the box and had to be shortened to fit their new location. The mud flaps where shortened, painted and weathered and attached with styrene tube run through the frame.

DSCN1645_zpsdce9f5bd.jpg

DSCN1651_zps75fcceee.jpg

DSCN1657_zps2a7cd2e8.jpg

And now the radiator/shroud, engine/trans, drive shaft and exhaust is all in place.

DSCN1660_zpsfb8c5196.jpg

DSCN1659_zps1c1176b7.jpg

I’m still prepping the body for paint and have started painting and detailing the interior. While waiting for my paint order I’ve started on what the Topkick will tow during the summer months…here is a teaser that started with great resin parts from Calnaga Castings, http://www.calnaga.com/index.html. Enjoy!!!

DSCN1653_zpsf932e442.jpg

DSCN1655_zpse90357b7.jpg

Enjoy and thanks for looking...

know of any 1/25 ford f600s? i want to do a ford 600 or 650 pickup soooo bad. and GREAT WORK!

Every once in a while I see on eBay a 1:25 resin 80-96 F-600-800 cab, grille, and interior. Would make a good starting point. Although being 1:25 scale you'd be limited to the AMT kits and a dually bed was never kitted. It could be made, though.

Thanks for the comments. It's been a learning experience getting it to this point. As Kataranga said I've only seen a couple F600 resin conversions on ebay and they aren't easy to get. Also while doing 1:1 research with google on the topkick I found a couple of modeler's who've converted die-cast F600s. Again very few at that.

• 4 weeks later...

Update 02/07/13

Just a quick update to let everyone know I’m still working on this build. Both my wip’s have had set backs. While waiting on parts that went into the purple pond, some work was done on the Topkick and the fabbing on the ski boat started.

I spent a couple of hours with a dremel abrasive wheel and file to open up the grille. A little wet sanding and it will be ready for paint.

DSCN1691_zpsad0346ab.jpg

About the only thing that has gone right with the interior is the dash. A web photo of a Silverado gauge cluster was used to make a decal for the dash. Once in place it was coated in Micro Krystal Klear. Tamiya gloss aluminum was used on the knobs and buttons to duplicate the use of aftermarket knob/button covers. A green wash was used on the around the radio buttons and display.

DSCN1710_zps1d24e056.jpg

After researching custom speed/ski boats on the web I decided to do something a little different. With some parts left over from a couple Revell Concept Camaro kits I decided to put them to use. I’m using the dash and taillight surrounds to add a unique look to my speed boat. I raised the front deck with sheet styrene and left a groove at the leading edge of the dash so a modified windshield can be slipped into place after the hull is painted.

DSCN1700_zps93272d46.jpg

DSCN1701_zps60497541.jpg

The rear transom has to be raised to fit the resin jet drive, so the taillight surrounds are being used as fillers. The stern of the boat will be shaped around the taillights.

DSCN1702_zpsd03f910f.jpg

The seats are resin Recarro’s that were cut down to just above the side bolsters and super glued together. The sides are filled in with sheet styrene and putty.

DSCN1704_zps49f6619c.jpg

The engine is from Revell’s Corvette C5-R kit with engine mounts made from sheet and rod styrene.

DSCN1708_zps721c89c1.jpg

DSCN1739_zps6775ff4b.jpg

Edited by dougp

• 2 weeks later...

Update 02/07/13

Not much to report, but the interior is complete and the body is ready for paint.

Here is the completed interior. I used a seat belt p/e kit from scale dreams with channel styrene for the seatbelt seat hangers. I notched the B pillar panel for the front seat belt retractor slots and cut slots in the rear bulkhead for the back seat belt reatractor slots.

DSCN1746_zpse09dce50.jpg

DSCN1750_zpsf8a294ea.jpg

The interior is Tamiya matt black with a flat black and semi gloss black wash. The rubber floor covering was sprayed with Tamiya semi gloss black and the gauge panel was a homemade decal.

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been slow going. Finally got the color on the cab and bed. The hood and tailgate are in the spray booth now. Next a coat of clear before trying to wash the panel lines before the final coats of clear and polishing.

I used Testors One Coat Laquers with the base color being Diamond Dust with Icy Blue followed by DeJa Blue.

DSCN1756_zps2b26435a.jpg

DSCN1754_zps883b3246.jpg

DSCN1753_zps8a52a71f.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Edited by dougp

Thanks for the great comments. My original paint scheme just didn't work out. The original was going to white above the belt line with diamond dust smoked with burnt styrene and a clear orange cover coat below the belt line. Colors didn't turn out as expected, so it was back to the drawing board. I needed something that would pop and also look great on the speed boat.